Telekinesis and size, Improved Grapple, etc

Thanee

First Post
How do you figure in size when you use Telekinesis to grapple someone? Your own? Seems a bit weird.

Also, does Improved Grapple help with Telekinesis? Also seems a bit weird.

Bye
Thanee

Jack Simth

First Post
Well, it does say "Resolve these attempts as normal, except that they don’t provoke attacks of opportunity, you use your caster level in place of your base attack bonus (for disarm and grapple), you use your Intelligence modifier (if a wizard) or Charisma modifier (if a sorcerer) in place of your Strength or Dexterity modifier, and a failed attempt doesn’t allow a reactive attempt by the target (such as for disarm or trip)" in the SRD version of the spell under the combat maneuvers sub-heading, and other than the "Resolve these attempts as normal," it doesn't mention Improved (Grapple/Trip/Bull Rush/Disarm) nor size, so as written, those modifiers apply "as normal" the way the spell is written (in the emminantely quoteable SRD, at least).

But yes, it does seem kinda wierd.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I always treat it as a basic size modifier of +0 (so this would be the same whether it was being done by a pixie, a giant or a human).

I wouldn't allow improved grapple to give a bonus.

Mind you, even with that once I hit 10th level my sorcereress became a telekinetic grappling fiend! Completely brilliant for shutting down enemy casters at long range :)

Cheers

Infiniti2000

First Post
Thanee said:
How do you figure in size when you use Telekinesis to grapple someone? Your own? Seems a bit weird.
As mentioned, yes, your own. I agree this does seem a bit weird, but the cases of it becoming anything other than -4 or +0 are uncommon at best.

Thanee said:
Also, does Improved Grapple help with Telekinesis? Also seems a bit weird.
Sure, but this seems less weird. You use your pseudo-BAB and 'strength', so why not other proficiencies? In any case, this would come into play rarely. How many sorcerers/wizards (not multiclassed into monk anyway) take Improved Unarmed Strike, much less Improved Grapple?

Keep in mind that you get only one grapple attempt per round. So, even with some unusual circumstances (e.g. Large size, Improved Grapple), telekinesis will never be as good as mixing it up in the flesh. :)

Remove ads