Temptation and Corruption domains

Rystil Arden

First Post
Patlin--as per your advice, I specifically called out the effect on Paladins from the spell. Anyone ready to vote YES yet? It looks like most people were okay with at least Temptation, and then the thread kinda stopped getting replies :(

Heckler

First Post
I'll point this out because I don't think this was your intention, but Temptation can kill. Put it on an animals' INT and then drop it. I think you could combine it with spells like Ray of Enfeeblement or Feeblemind and drop someone. Perhaps it should have the "cannot reduce an attribute below 1" text most of those spells have.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Heckler said:
I'll point this out because I don't think this was your intention, but Temptation can kill. Put it on an animals' INT and then drop it. I think you could combine it with spells like Ray of Enfeeblement or Feeblemind and drop someone. Perhaps it should have the "cannot reduce an attribute below 1" text most of those spells have.
Hmm...that's a good point, and I'm very glad to have your input.

However, I would say an animal would not be a willing target unless you've already coaxed it somehow with Handle Animal or Wild Empathy. And remember, dropping the Int to 0 doesn't kill it, it just knocks it into catatonia for the duration. Since it would have to be helpless and then fail a save after already being helpless or else be willing, I don't think that's a big deal. And actually, Ray of Enfeeblement + Anything will never knock them below 1, no matter what order you cast them due to the wording of RoE. However, if someone actually has 4 Strength due to being crippled or something and the priestess grants him a boon that lets him feel stronger and live more normally but renders him unable to even move when he displeases her, that's not too bad either. In general, this isn't really going to come up too much in combat--any time you could use it in combat, you could have just coup de graced them anyway.

Heckler

First Post
IME, if you're in a coma, you might as well be dead.

I agree that you won't kill anyone in combat with it. But what you can do is assassinate people with it. Put it on the old man's STR. Or the half orc's CHA. Or the fighter's CON, after he gets beat up in a fight switch it, he loses CON and HP.

I don't believe all the stat lowering spells have the same wording as RoE, and there are other ways of lowering stats anyway (poisons).

Used creatively, it's much more than a tool for positive/negative reinforcement.

Rystil Arden

First Post
But what you can do is assassinate people with it.

If they were letting you get them helpless or they willingly accepted a spell from you, there are plenty of better ways you could have screwed them over though. I don't see this as a boost to that.

Put it on the old man's STR. Or the half orc's CHA. Or the fighter's CON, after he gets beat up in a fight switch it, he loses CON and HP.

But you can only do that if the old man or the half orc or the fighter are willing or helpless (and they get a low DC save if they are helpless).

I don't believe all the stat lowering spells have the same wording as RoE, and there are other ways of lowering stats anyway (poisons).

This is correct. There are tons of ways to lower the stats otherwise. A poison is a much better way. Or just rebuke and control a Shadow and drain their strength forever.

Last edited:

Knight Otu

First Post
I feel that my unvoiced reservations have been taken care of, though the Taste of Evil spell does lwave a taste of that one Relics & Rituals spell that changed a person's alignment. Anyway, I think I'm ready to vote Yes.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Knight Otu said:
I feel that my unvoiced reservations have been taken care of, though the Taste of Evil spell does lwave a taste of that one Relics & Rituals spell that changed a person's alignment. Anyway, I think I'm ready to vote Yes.
Cool--that's one down. Are you saying my spell is problematic due to being too close to the Relics and Rituals spell? If so, I can say I wasn't aware of that spell.

Any more judges want to chime in?

Knight Otu

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Are you saying my spell is problematic due to being too close to the Relics and Rituals spell?
No, it just reminds me of a spell I dislike - Convert, 9th level, converts the target permanently to the caster's deity (without immediate alignment change, but a gradual change - one step a week) on a failed save (and makes it more suspectible even on a successful save). There are some bonuses to saves (for extreme alignment differences and for divine casters), but the spell can also be "sneak cast" in a non-combat situation, resulting in a penalty to saves. Atonement only works if the target wants to atone, and the target of convert usually doesn't want to.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Knight Otu said:
No, it just reminds me of a spell I dislike - Convert, 9th level, converts the target permanently to the caster's deity (without immediate alignment change, but a gradual change - one step a week) on a failed save (and makes it more suspectible even on a successful save). There are some bonuses to saves (for extreme alignment differences and for divine casters), but the spell can also be "sneak cast" in a non-combat situation, resulting in a penalty to saves. Atonement only works if the target wants to atone, and the target of convert usually doesn't want to.
Oh. Yeah, that seems a bit much, I'll admit. This is more of a temporary thing, plus it won't convert them to the caster's deity or friendship--they may be Evil and still despise the caster and her deity (and now want to torture the caster instead of just bringing her in to justice!). Think of it in relation to Dominate, I think, and it is significantly weaker (and shorter).

Erekose13

Explorer
I'll read over the thread in its entirety soon, but I don't like the Corruption ability. I'll give you better feedback when I've had the chance.

Remove ads