Temptation and Corruption domains

Rystil Arden

First Post
:poke: One more YES vote for most of the stuff--possibly one vote will do it all if the vote is for Corruption with a low DC save (I'd say DC 10 + Charisma bonus, or maybe even just a flat 12 or something) instead of a target restriction.

Rystil Arden

First Post
: pokes thread :

We have votes from KO2 and Erekose. A lot of judges seem to have retired recently--who do I have to convince to vote for this to get it to pass?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Knight Otu said:
Now I'm wondering if you saw my silent-bump of this thread or not... :p
Nope, I missed that. Poor Espra doesn't have her domains yet (although no PC has encountered any priests of Espra or her aspects yet in any game as far as I know).

Patlin

Explorer
The domain abilities still bug me a bit. Here are some thoughts:

Rystil Arden said:
Granted Power (Boon of Temptation): The cleric can grant a dark boon to those who please her. She may expend a Rebuke undead attempt for the day in order to attempt to grant her boon to a willing or helpless target (but not herself) with a kiss, a hug, a pat on the back, or a similar gesture. An unwilling target receives a Will Save DC 10 + the cleric's Charisma modifier to resist the boon. So long as the cleric is pleased with the boon's recipient, the boon grants the target a +2 profane bonus to any one ability score, but if she chooses, she may transform the bonus to a -4 profane penalty as a free action, or back into a +2 profane bonus whenever she wishes. Either way, the boon's effects fade away after 1 hour per level. A cleric may only have one such boon active at any given time. If the cleric grants a boon while another of her boons is active, all boons but the most recent fade away immediately.

How about "She may, once per day, expend a rebuke undead attempt" and dropping the duration to 10 minutes/level?

Rystil Arden said:
Granted Power (Corrupting Touch): The cleric's very touch can corrupt and warp anything around her that lacks a mind strong enough to resist. She may expend a rebuke undead attempt to use her corrupting touch on a docile animal, a baby, a young child (generally age 7 or younger, GM's discretion applies), or even a pregnant woman (in which case the touch affects the unborn child). If the victim fails a Will save DC 10 + 1/2 the cleric's class level + the cleric's Charisma modifier, it becomes feral or cruel, and it's alignment shifts to Evil. This effect is instantaneous, but it can be reversed by a Remove Curse, Restoration, or Break Enchantment cast within 24 hours or by an Atonement cast later. This ability may be used on 1 cubic foot per level of water or food instead, in which case the water becomes befouled and undrinkable and the food spoils and rots.

I'd also like a "She may, once per day, expend a rebuke undead attempt" here. Further, I'd like to add after "This effect is instantaneous, but it can be reversed by a Remove Curse, Restoration, or Break Enchantment cast within 24 hours or by an Atonement cast later." the following "Furthermore, it does not prevent further changes to alignment by non magical means, and in the DMs judgment creatures may gradually return to their own alignment."

After all, alignment isn't naturally static.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Patlin said:
The domain abilities still bug me a bit. Here are some thoughts:

How about "She may, once per day, expend a rebuke undead attempt" and dropping the duration to 10 minutes/level?

I'd also like a "She may, once per day, expend a rebuke undead attempt" here. Further, I'd like to add after "This effect is instantaneous, but it can be reversed by a Remove Curse, Restoration, or Break Enchantment cast within 24 hours or by an Atonement cast later." the following "Furthermore, it does not prevent further changes to alignment by non magical means, and in the DMs judgment creatures may gradually return to their own alignment."

After all, alignment isn't naturally static.
Thanks for the post--I'd rather have critical comments than silence. I would say that while the once per day is not an issue at all on the first one and not much of an issue on the second one, both of your other suggestions make the abilities pointless for their intended uses--

For Temptation, if it only lasts 10 minutes per level, no one will care if the cleric makes it into a penalty--I still think it is currently on par with (or a bit weaker than) domain powers like that of the Nobility domain (much better, though for a much briefer duration) and others that have similarly weak spell lists.

For Corruption, if the GM is just going to say "But then they decided not to be evil, so it immediately ends", the ability basically does nothing--it already is basically just for flavour (this is, I believe, an ability that seems extremely evil and oozes with evil flavour while actually being pretty trivial in terms of balance--if the BBEG is using this ability, it doesn't really make him any more powerful--for that he would be better off with a stronger domain, but it certainly gives the PCs a reason to hate him!). The point of the ability is that the NPC has become corrupted and so it needs to be removed (generally through Atonement--the non-XP Atonement, of course). It doesn't mean that they become homicidal or insane--they just generally grow up as greedier and more selfish.

Remove ads