• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Abyssal Campaign (~260pg).

Welverin

First Post
the Jester said:
Zappo, I downloaded the pdf but I kept getting errors with the doc file. It looked (upthread) like someone else had a similar problem. Can you check to make sure your file's ok?

Thanks- I'm checking out the pdf presently!

Hi J, how you doing?

I just downloaded the doc without trouble, so you might want to try again if you haven't gotten it to work yet.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Zappo said:
I am writing a long adventure (or short campaign) entirely set in the Abyss. While the adventure is designed with Planescape in mind, it could really be played as standalone, or plugged into any campaign. Since the two chapters I've (almost) completed are already more than 50 pages, and there are seven more to go, the end result is going to be a very long trip.

I'm the same way Zappo, aiming to create a publishable campaign out my Knights of the Lance campaign.

I'd post links, but I can't right now as the artwork I've used in parts of my .pdf are based on 3d models under NDA with BioWare. :)

Gimme a few months and I'll get it out there.

Still, you have to be able to juggle on the fly. I'm about 70 % prepared and 30% on the fly. Obviously, the pattern of a given session can change depending on what the players choose to do. Most of the time I see their choices coming. But most is != to all - and sometimes you need to just fake it as you go.

On the subject of your campaign document format. It looks nice so far, but it could really do with some improvement in layout and design to make it look a lot more slick and professional.

I can make this look a *lot* better for you if you like. Should not take me *too long* to do it and I enjoy the work. Drop me a note at steelwind@dladventures.com and let me know if this is something that interests you.

Zappo

Explorer
Steel_Wind said:
I'm the same way Zappo, aiming to create a publishable campaign out my Knights of the Lance campaign.

I'd post links, but I can't right now as the artwork I've used in parts of my .pdf are based on 3d models under NDA with BioWare. :)

Gimme a few months and I'll get it out there.
"Publishing" isn't going to happen, since I use plenty of Planescape copyrighted material and some non-OGL crunch. I guess you're in the same boat with Dragonlance. ;) I would like to make it of publishable quality, though. A mix of an exercise and a gift to the community.
Still, you have to be able to juggle on the fly. I'm about 70 % prepared and 30% on the fly. Obviously, the pattern of a given session can change depending on what the players choose to do. Most of the time I see their choices coming. But most is != to all - and sometimes you need to just fake it as you go.
Yes. But I try to give the DM all possible help in that. :)
On the subject of your campaign document format. It looks nice so far, but it could really do with some improvement in layout and design to make it look a lot more slick and professional.

I can make this look a *lot* better for you if you like. Should not take me *too long* to do it and I enjoy the work. Drop me a note at steelwind@dladventures.com and let me know if this is something that interests you.
The format has lots of room for improvement. No illustrations, discrepancies in stat block formats... but I won't start perfecting the format until the text is mostly done. I am interested in getting it better polished than I could do, but I want to complete the adventure itself before. :)

Elf Witch

First Post
Zappo said:
Should any of my players be so sneaky to lurk these boards without telling me, he should stop reading now and report for termination as soon as possible.

I am writing a long adventure (or short campaign) entirely set in the Abyss. While the adventure is designed with Planescape in mind, it could really be played as standalone, or plugged into any campaign. Since the two chapters I've (almost) completed are already more than 50 pages, and there are seven more to go, the end result is going to be a very long trip.

The PCs, while on a relatively easy mission, get trapped in the Abyss. As the complex plot unfolds, they meet many weird NPCs, visit a number of twisted locations, fight hordes of insane monsters, and eventually escape. And, if I am halfway decent at writing this stuff, vow to never come within three planes of the Abyss ever again.

The Abyssal Campaign is designed to appeal to both roleplayers and rollplayers, and to scare the hell out of each. There are complex NPCs, dangerous deals to be done, hard moral choices, and mature themes. There are tough fights requiring smart tactics, outright unwinnable fights, and a choice of horrible fates for the foolish.
Nevertheless, many encounters are more scary than deadly (don't tell this to the players ;) ).

There are sidebars designed to help the DM integrate the adventure in his campaign, and to help getting the adventure back on track if the PCs stray too far.

Here's a link to the current draft (DOC or PDF):
http://xoomer.virgilio.it/zappo/adventures.html

The PDF has been made by Phosphorous. :)

I welcome any opinions and suggestions. I am especially afraid of having left plot holes, so if you spot any feel free to point them out. :)

I've also got another, normal-sized, Planescape-style adventure titled Matter of Opinion at the same link as above. It needs some filing here and there, but it's mostly complete.

Edit: I hope the host works now. Please let me know of any trouble in getting the files.

I couldn't get it open. I played through some of your campaign earlier this year when my DM ran it. Have you added more since last March?

DM_Fiery_Fist

First Post
RichGreen,

I'm currently running an epic-level campaign as well, and I'm getting ready to send a few of my players to the planes. I would greatly appreciate it if you could email me some of your adventure notes...I'm new to a lot of the epic level and planar stuff, so I need all of the help I can get. :) However, if you would email me your adventure notes (at raistilin_magere@yahoo.com) I would be greatly obliged.

To get back on topic, this abyssal campaign is excellent! Awesome work, I can't wait to see more of it.

Remove ads