The Adventures of the Knights of Spellforge Keep are now COMPLETED

Lela

First Post
What about a bitter halfling monk? His family slautered by a rogue band of half-gnomes, his lady love lost to a slave caravan, and his only moments free from the pain of watching his mother die are when he's crushing something's skull with his bare hands.

But even that respite is fleeting and, ultamately, unsatysfying.

Then again, if you want to be taken seriously, you might just go with elf.

Last edited:

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

I think you should play a brooding elf Fighter/Wizard Eldritch Knight whose family lost a kin war. He is now adventuring to become powerful and collect wealth so that one day he can return home and retake his birthright by force if necessary.

He is generally arrogant and quiet. He thinks of the other party members as adequate companions, but doesn't feel particularly close to them. He constantly broods and seeks to destroy all those who stand in the way of his ultimate goal.

Is Doc making you stick with the standard D&D races?

Wee Jas

First Post
Yeah.. whats up with everyone wanting me to play a short race? How can I be brooding that way?! lol. Celts pretty close to what I was thinking...

I decided to stick to something close to my original idea.

I'm going to be..

Dorian the Red

Half-elf Ranger (Mancatcher) aspiring Monk
Favored Enemy: Humanid (Humans)

Dorian was born into a life of crime. His parents were bandits. His father was a human fighter and his mother was a dashing elven rogue. They belonged to group called group of scoundrels called the Crimson Cowls.

Despite his rugged upbringing Dorian was a happy child. His father was a semi-famous boxer and the little half elf loved to watch his father fight. He would study his fathers moves and the reactions of his opponents and write everything he saw down in his little leather journal. Every morning he would wake up to meet his father away from the camp of snoring cut throats to practicce those very moves. When he wasn't doing that he was learning various languages from his mother for she did not want her child to pursue the life they had led.

All that changed one cold winter night. as the Crimson Cowl lay sleeping a new group of vicious bandits decended on them determined on eliminating their competition in the land. The Cowl was caught completely off guard and many were slaughtered before they had a chance to react. Dorian watched is parent die before he was hit by a stray sling bullet....

More to Come!

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Wee Jas said:
Yeah.. whats up with everyone wanting me to play a short race?

I think they like the way Doc Midnight draws Halflings.

Dorian the Red

Half-elf Ranger (Mancatcher) aspiring Monk
Favored Enemy: Humanid (Humans)

Dorian was born into a life of crime. His parents were bandits. His father was a human fighter and his mother was a dashing elven rogue. They belonged to group called group of scoundrels called the Crimson Cowls.

Despite his rugged upbringing Dorian was a happy child. His father was a semi-famous boxer and the little half elf loved to watch his father fight. He would study his fathers moves and the reactions of his opponents and write everything he saw down in his little leather journal. Every morning he would wake up to meet his father away from the camp of snoring cut throats to practicce those very moves. When he wasn't doing that he was learning various languages from his mother for she did not want her child to pursue the life they had led.

All that changed one cold winter night. as the Crimson Cowl lay sleeping a new group of vicious bandits decended on them determined on eliminating their competition in the land. The Cowl was caught completely off guard and many were slaughtered before they had a chance to react. Dorian watched is parent die before he was hit by a stray sling bullet....

More to Come!

Sounds like it may be interesting. He doesn't sound like the usual tactical minded brooding charismatic anti-hero that was Vek.

I still think you should build a character that wields some kind of magic. Melees are just too limited to really come off as powerful in a story, especially against super grappling creatures and evil mages who can fly. Vek wasn't cool just because he was brooding, but also because he was powerful. He could load up on deadly spells and go to town.

Make some kind of mage or cleric so Doc can write about all the cool spell combinations you come up with.

Wee Jas

First Post
Make some kind of mage or cleric so Doc can write about all the cool spell combinations you come up with.

Yeah, I struggle with that a lot. I'm a real spellcaster type but like I said.. it's all been done before.

Dorian woke hours later. He crawled back to camp and found only the smoldering embers of campfires and the slaughtered remains of his family and friends. He stuffed some rations hastily into a sack along with his leatherbound journal and paid his last respects to the departed. Although he wished to stay longer and bury his parents he knew that the carnage would draw the lands predators. He ran blindly into the night away from the visage that would haunt him for years to follow. He ran until he collapsed yet again into darkness.

Dorian spent years in the wild alone. He survived the only way he knew how, as a bandit. Slipping quietly into passing wagons to steal food and drink he managed where any other adolecent would have given up. Eventually he was caught and taken to a nearby city. At thirteen summers old they really had no way to punish the half-elf and they couldn't send him back to the wild to fend for himself but all the families already had too many mouths to feed. The captain of the guard gave the boy a room in return for keeping the prisoners cells clean and doing most of the barracks chores. Dorian found that he liked the catpain greatly but a large portion of his men were jealous of people with elven blood. Many years passed with the young elfling studing much about law enforcement. As soon as he was old enough he joined the city watch but found it difficult to bond with the cadets because of his race. He was fast and his study of his father's fighting techniques made him brutal in sparring. Dorian often knew his opponents move before his opponent did! The other watchmen became oven more envious and whenever something went wrong Dorian was blamed. Eventually they drove him away. He decided he would walk the path of law alone and he became a bounty hunter and adventurer.

Spatula

Explorer
Celtavian said:
I still think you should build a character that wields some kind of magic. Melees are just too limited to really come off as powerful in a story,
One word: Dartan.

Last edited:

Richards

Legend
Okay, this might be a bit premature, since you haven't even started playing with this character yet, but let me put on my anagram hat and see what I can come up with.

Dorian doesn't happen to like snacking on dessicated insects by any chance, does he? I only ask because...

DORIAN THE RED = A DRIED HORNET

Of course, maybe he likes capturing insects to eat himself. Possibly even bees...

DORIAN THE RED = DARE HIT DRONE

It's a pity that his parents got killed like that. Especially his elven mother.

DORIAN THE RED = HER DEAD INTRO

What color is your PC's hair?

DORIAN THE RED = REDHEAD NITRO

And Wee Jas, you're one of the ones in Doc Midnight's group that's into anime, aren't you? Just be careful that you don't let your outside interests carry over to your new PC, or you could put him into a few embarrassing situations...

DORIAN THE RED = ERR ODD HENTAI

Of course, perhaps your PC will enjoy such things, maybe even going as far as to attain a "doctorate" of sorts...

DORIAN THE RED = DR. HENTAI-DOER

What are his stats? If you give him a really low charisma he could get caught up in looting and rioting...

DORIAN THE RED = NERD-HEAD RIOT

Or, maybe he just likes paying dorky women for sexual favors...

DORIAN THE RED = TRIED A NERD HO

If it worked out, and he got some...

DORIAN THE RED = RIDE A HOT NERD

On the other hand, perhaps he'd rather go out with relatives of the actor who plays "Worf"...

DORIAN THE RED = HE TRIED A DORN

Or, if he plays his cards right, maybe he could hook up with one of those aquatic babes...

DORIAN THE RED = RAD HOT NEREID

Maybe you'll give him a low Intelligence instead, and when he can't figure his way out of a jam, you can just demand that the DM tell you what to do...

DORIAN THE RED = ORDERED A HINT

If he's really good looking, but incredibly stupid...

DORIAN THE RED = A HOT DIRE NERD

What kind of armor will he wear? You could try one of those leather chaps deals with his butt hanging out...

DORIAN THE RED = DON'T HIDE REAR

Or stitch little bits of metal all over your clothes...

DORIAN THE RED = THREADED IRON

Have you thought about taking the Leadership feat later on? Maybe you could get an interesting cohort...

DORIAN THE RED = ED, A THIN DERRO

Or he could pay a dire rat to be his friend...

DORIAN THE RED = HIRED A RODENT

What if he sort of named his unusual riding mount after Dartan?

DORIAN THE RED = DARTO, DIRE HEN

Hey, he's a forest bandit, right? Maybe he lives in a cave, where he keeps the loot he's stolen from tea merchants...

DORIAN THE RED = HORRID TEA DEN

If he steals enough fine clothes and other fopperies, he could pass himself off as a nobleman...

DORIAN THE RED = DANDIER OTHER

Of course, his nickname might preclude him from being paid to join any adventuring bands...

DORIAN THE RED = DON'T HIRE A RED

If he can't make it as an adventurer, perhaps he could reply to advertisements looking for someone to assist rhinoceroses out of the high branches...

DORIAN THE RED = TREED RHINO AD

Or he could be instrumental in preventing frogs and toads from taking over the world...

DORIAN THE RED = TOAD HINDERER

Maybe he could get a job as an exterminator, specializing in half-fiend rodents...

DORIAN THE RED = DIE, HORNED RAT!

Maybe he could steal items hidden in the chairs of royalty...

DORIAN THE RED = RAIDED THRONE

Or give Santa's Reindeer some needed assistance...

DORIAN THE RED = AID NORTH DEER

If he really needed money, he could get work as a "fluffer" in a book company...

DORIAN THE RED = HARDEN EDITOR

If he did get that last job, you know what his boss would always say...

DORIAN THE RED = "DO IT, HARDENER!"

Or maybe he'd just keep trying to get that opera job...

DORIAN THE RED = DIEHARD TENOR

Or become a drug dealer...

DORIAN THE RED = TRADED HEROIN

Too bad this won't be a PC for a d20 Modern game. He could keep submitting applications to various motorcycle dealerships...

DORIAN THE RED = RETRIED HONDA

Of course, in a d20 Modern game, he might not really be what he seems...

DORIAN THE RED = ANDROID THREE

Of course, you live in the same state as Dr. Midnight, right? Maybe all of this nonsense has something to do with that tiny state you guys live in.

DORIAN THE RED = A RHODE I. TREND

Okay, that's enough for now. My brain hurts! :)

Johnathan

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Spatula said:
One word: Dartan.

Dartan was cool, but not anywhere near as powerful as Vek. He had personality, and for a fighter he was tough and could take alot of punishment, but when it came down to destroying the bad guys Vek could lay it down like no one else save for perhaps Kizzlorn.

Richards said:
DORIAN THE RED = A DRIED HORNET

Speaking of dried hornets, what's up with poor Gryph? :D :( :D

Wee-Jas, you should get Doc to start on his pro-logue/introduction now. Since it's a world of his own creation, it would be nice to have some info about it beforehand !!!

Everyone agreeing post "Aye". ;)

Remove ads