The Briar Man Is A Monster From Kobold Press' Tales of the Old Margreve

Tales of the Old Margerve is a collection of 5E adventures set in an ancient, enchanted forest in Kobold Press' Midgard setting on Kickstarter right now. Kobold Press has sent along a preview of one of the monsters from the book -- the Briar Man, an undead fey vampiric monstrosity!

Tales of the Old Margerve is a collection of 5E adventures set in an ancient, enchanted forest in Kobold Press' Midgard setting on Kickstarter right now. Kobold Press has sent along a preview of one of the monsters from the book -- the Briar Man, an undead fey vampiric monstrosity!

briar.jpg

The Kickstarter itself contains two books (and an optional pawn stretch goal). The primary book contains the adventures, which range from levels 1-10, while the accompanying Player's Guide includes new player options such as subclasses, spells, and more.

eayres33

Explorer
I love KP and have backed most of their products in the last year. Did not back the Creature Codex but will pick it up of their website in the next few months. (It will be on my Christmas list and if no one buys it for me I’ll pick it up.) I’ve backed this as well as for adventures and players books I prefer books.

I like to have books and PDF’s so I can take some things mobile, but I’ll take a backpack, a messenger bag and a banker’s box if I have too so no PDF is not a deal breaker.

My main question is the VTT a huge market? Maybe it is maybe it isn’t and I don’t know and I’m sure KP has done some surveys. Perhaps though they want to see what the real market is and what better way to do that but to kick out PDF’s and go old school or VTT. They have already funded so if it doesn’t meet internal expectations, well then they will just create the PDF and sell it on their website.

I have noticed that a couple of the larger publishing companies are doing print only with no PDF... but I play online and have thousands of files, and hundred of books...so a physical book is not practical and would further clutter my already cluttered game rooms. I am also a hard pass on this.

Arilyn

Hero
Does the book have no fluff description for the monsters? Why is this creature even an undead? What is it? How would a DM typically use it in a scenario? What is it's motivation? Etc..

Tales of the Old Margreve is an adventure site with linked adventures and space for the GM to create his own. The fluff for the monsters is in the adventure description. That's how it was in PF version anyway, which is an excellent product, btw. 5e fans won't be disappointed.

Jhaelen

First Post
Same here.

And the really high shipping costs to Germany. I know shipping is quite expensive but I backed the Creature Codex and the shipping costs were a lot smaller than at this one.
Yep, shipping costs are a big problem. E.g. I bought the PDF version of '13th Age in Glorantha' and would have really liked to get a physical copy, as well. But despite the claims on Chaosium's website that they are always shipping books from the closest store (which would have been in Great Britain) the cost for shipping to Germany is almost as high as the book's price itself, which I consider ridiculous.

matthewdcorley

Explorer
Tales of the Old Margreve is an adventure site with linked adventures and space for the GM to create his own. The fluff for the monsters is in the adventure description. That's how it was in PF version anyway, which is an excellent product, btw. 5e fans won't be disappointed.

This is exactly correct.

Marc Radle

Legend
This is it! Today is the DAY!

Tales of the Old Margreve is in its FINAL 8 HOURS!!

As of this writing, we are less than $500 away from hitting $100,000! That means, along with all the other stretch goals, Kobold Press is producing a new set of 150+ Pawns for the Tales of the Old Margreve adventures!!

There's still time - join the more than 1,6000 folks so far who have backed - before it's too late :) !!

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...margreve-5th-edition-forest-adven/description

Remove ads

Remove ads