• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Captain's Caper! (Dunamin judging)

Phoenix8008

First Post
A couple hours after leaving port, the setting sun is resting low on the horizon. It's bright rays frame a small islet some distance away from the ship. Perhaps it's volcanic, because there seems to be a cloud of some sort over the island. At least that is your first thought before you notice that part of the cloud is moving against the wind ... and coming straight for the ship itself! Suddenly, a shout comes down from the crows nest at the top of the mast, "Stirges!! Get below decks!" A flurry of activity as the sailors climb, slide, and swing down to the deck after locking the sails in place in hopes that the creatures would leave before they ran into something... like Bacarte's reefs...

Captain Azrael runs up as the group assembles, "Well m'boys, any chance you lot might be able ta kill enough'a them buggers to chase 'em off? I fear they may just swarm around the ship long enough for us to crash into something and wreck 'dis whole voyage otherwise. If ya stay by the door to me cabin, I can let in anybody too injured ta keep fighting. And if'n ya chase enough of 'em off, me an' the crew can help finish 'em off. But we'd only get killed quick-like with the number coming this way it seems. Our lives are in yer hands, matey's."

A swarm of the four winged, four armed, flying bloodsuckers surrounds the ship, flapping noisily. A part of the swarm breaks off and comes zooming in towards the only living thing on deck... the adventurers!

Initiative
24 - Hrav
21 - Alexander
16 - Quagmire
16 - Stirges
13 - Girth
10 - Brudd
Inits for Stirges, Alexander, Brudd, Girth, Hrav, and Quagmire (1d20+7=16, 1d20+1=21, 1d20-1=10, 1d20+5=13, 1d20+4=24, 1d20+6=16)

Hrav is up first...please try not to skip ahead out of turn so we don't have to retcon any actions. If somebody doesn't post an action within a day or two, I'll post for them. I'll also keep controlling Girth until The Digger returns. Also be sure to be specific when targeting any powers or attacks. Thanks.

covaithe

Explorer
Quagmire hollers at the closed cabin door, "Come out and fight fer yer ship, ye lily-livered, cowardly... Eladrin! Bah! He's not man enough t'be a ship's captain. I can't believe he ever gained command in the first place. Must be his momma bought him the ship. When we finish this job, there's no way I'm leavin' him in charge of this here ship. She's much too good for the likes of him. Aren't ye, precious." He pats the ship's rail and moves to take his place in the party's defenses.

ooc: no actions, just fluff. :)

Phoenix8008

First Post
OOC: What Eladrin are you talking about? Oh, or was that just an insult to the Orc Captain!? :eek: :blush: :confused: :lol: Jeez. Had me wondering for a minute there. If ya want me to make up some stats for him and have him hog some of your XP, I can do so... :p ;) :devil:

covaithe

Explorer
ooc: haha, no, it's cool. I just feel like abusing him a bit. And trying to establish the idea of stealing the boat out from under the captain at some point. :)

garyh

First Post
Hrav draws a shuriken, takes careful aim, and hits the nearest stirge with the shuriken right between the wings.

"Take that, ya overgrown mosquito!" Hrav bellows.

[sblock=OOC]
Minor - Draw shuriken
Minor - Predatory Eye on the nearest Stirge
Standard - Ranged Basic Attack against the nearest stirge, Combat Advantage (and thus Predatory Eye and Sneak Attack) granted from First Strike.

1d20+7+2;1d8+4;2d6+4;1d6 → [17,7,2] = (26)
1d20+7+2;1d8+4;2d6+4;1d6 → [1,4] = (5)
1d20+7+2;1d8+4;2d6+4;1d6 → [1,4,4] = (9)
1d20+7+2;1d8+4;2d6+4;1d6 → [4] = (4)

Hits AC 26 for 18 damage.[/sblock]

[sblock=Hrav's Info]Hrav Kortaga- Male Bugbear Rogue 1
Passive Perception: +17, Passive Insight: +16
AC:16, Fort:14, Reflex:16, Will:11 -- Speed:6
HP:26/26, Bloodied:13, Surge Value:6, Surges left:8/8
Action Points: 2, Second Wind: not used
Powers-
Deft Strike
Piercing Strike

Torturous Strike
Predatory Eye

Blinding Barrage

Full character sheet[/sblock]

Atanatotatos

First Post
Alexander moves to approach the swarm while drawing his sword and tries to slash as many creatures possible with his swing.

[sblock=actions]minor:draw sword; move:engage if necessary; standard:basic attack 21 vs AC, 9 dmg
[/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats]Alexander Duran- Human Fighter 1
Initiative:+1 Passive perception:18 Passive Insight:12
AC:19 For:17 Ref:14 Will:13
HP:31/35 Bloodied:17 Surges value:8 Surges/day:11/11
Speed:5 Languages:Common, Imperial(=elven)
AP:2 Second Wind:1
Opportunity attack: +10 vs AC, 1d8+4
Powers: Cleave, Sure strike, Tide of iron
Covering Attack
Comeback strike[/sblock]

Phoenix8008

First Post
[sblock=Arrrgh!] Oh GODS!! I just realized that I didn't link the wonderful map I made for this fight to the post above. And its on my computer at work which I can't get to till Monday! Arrrgh! :rant::rant::rant:

Maybe I'll have time to remake it here at home tonight or tomorrow. If not, I'll do the best I can being more descriptive. Real nice of me to be asking you all to call your targets precisely when I don't give you a map to do so with. :blush: :mad:[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
Quagmire positions himself near the front of the party and readies an action to deliver a powerful strike to the first stirge that comes into range. He calls out to his comrades, "Stick close, mates. These bugs won't know what hit 'em."

ooc: ready action for Bastion of Defense whenever a bug moves into range. hits AC 22 for 17 damage. If that's a hit, allies within 5 gain +1 power bonus to defenses for the rest of the encounter. Regardless of hit or miss, allies within 5 gain +8 temp HP.

Halford

First Post
[sblock=Re: Arrrgh! Map]If you would like Phoenix I can knock up a map by modifying the ship you posted previously, if you give grid positions, etc. Should not take more than a few minutes.[/sblock]

Phoenix8008

First Post
-Hrav draws his shuriken and sends it speeding into the nearest Stirge (S1), causing the very bloody creature to flap its wings madly just to try and stay aloft. It looks gravely injured.

-Alexander moves forward and readies himself to face any Stirges that come within his reach. (Move 5 squares from J19 to J14 and ready action to use above attack roll)

-Quagmire moves forward (from I19 to K14) and readies his sword to strike the first Stirge to come within reach.

-The stirges fly forward into the waiting blades of Alexander and Quagmire. Alexander drops the already injured stirge to the deck(S1), while Quagmire injures his target heavily (S2). This inspires Alexander and Brudd to greater heights of combat prowess (+1 power bonus to defenses for the rest of the encounter and +8 temp HP). S2 misses Quagmire despite Flanking; S3 bites Brudd for 1 damage (7 temp left) and grabs onto him with its beak stuck into him; S4 hits Quagmire for 1 point of damage (7 temp left) but grabs onto him as well; S5 hits Hrav for 2 damage and latches on; and S6 barely misses Alexander.
S2, S3, S4, S5, S6 bite attack vs. AC (1d20+6=14, 1d4=3, 1d20+6=20, 1d4=1, 1d20+6=19, 1d4=1, 1d20+6=25, 1d4=2, 1d20+6=19, 1d4=3)

OOC: Brudd, Hrav, and Quagmire take 5 ongoing damage at the start of their turns each round until the stirge on them is either dead or they escape its grab with a move action to do a DC13 Acrobatics or DC12 Athletics check which also allows you to shift 1 square as part of the escape action.

Girth and then Brudd can go... *Edit* I keep forgetting that I'm Girth for now! :blush:
-Girth gestures at the stirge attached to Hrav and says, "My Lady tells me that you should not suck on the life essence of others if you are not willing to accept the same in return..." A void black ribbon snakes to the creature and into its heart where some of its life force is siphoned away to energize Girth.
Vampiric embrace on S5 (1d20 4=18, 2d8 4=12) 12 damage to S5 and +5 temp HP to Girth.

S1=dead, S2=17 damage, S3=no damage, S4=no damage, S5=12 damage, S6=no damage
S2 and S5 are bloodied.

Attachments

• CC E3 Stirges Ahoy1.JPG
    CC E3 Stirges Ahoy1.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Remove ads