The Dread Pirate Roberts

shilsen

Adventurer
Macbeth said:
Would you believe it was just a typo? No really, I should see it again. Just going from memory here...

Actually I kinda like Indigo Montoya. Sure, he wasn't a patch on his flamboyant older brother Vermilion Montoya, and definitely not as multifacted as little Paisley Montoya, but Indigo's still my favorite.

Tangent:
I had a player in my current campaign who created a swordsman named Korven who's out to seek vengeance for his father's death, but unfortunately the player had to leave the group due to time issues, and now I'm running him as an NPC. Couple sessions ago the party had a ru-in with their former employer and (much higher level) high priest, who the character thinks killed his father. For a moment I thought of having the NPC strike a dramatic pose, draw his swords and say, "My name is Korven. You killed my father. Prepare to die." And then have the cleric cast a destruction on the guy, of course :D

MerakSpielman

First Post
The book and the movie are both great. It's one of those rare instances where the movie, though different in many places, preserves the core "feel" of the book throughout.

The best part of the book to me, though, were the parenthetical comments. The author claimes to be abbreviating the classic work of Morgenstern, and puts in little comments whenever he cuts something out. Those are just hilarious.

Last edited:

MerakSpielman

First Post
In the movie, was it not:

"You seem a decent fellow..." instead of "You seem a good man..."?

----

"So what happens now?"
"We face each other as God intended. No tricks, no weapons, skill against skill alone."

Who knows the next 3 lines? :D

Rugger

Explorer
Heheh!

My girlfriend LOVES the movie, and finally read the book.

And was amazed that it was "based on" someone elses work.

When I told her that THAT was part of the joke, we got in a HUUUUUGE argument....

She still glares at me whenever the movie is on ;)

-Rugger
"I KilledYourFatherAndAmPreparedToDie!"

med stud

First Post
shilsen said:
Tangent:
[...]I had a player in my current campaign who created a swordsman named Korven [...]

"Korven" means "the sausage" in Swedish. I guess I would have a fun time reading your story hour (if you have one) ;)

MerakSpielman

First Post
S. Morgenstern isn't REAL????

;)

You can tell it's all written by the same person just looking at the writing style of "S. Morgenstern's" prose and the prose of the real author from the (long-winded) introduction. Funny that somebody thought it was real, though.

Gregor

First Post
MerakSpielman said:
In the movie, was it not:

"You seem a decent fellow..." instead of "You seem a good man..."?

----

"So what happens now?"
"We face each other as God intended. No tricks, no weapons, skill against skill alone."

Who knows the next 3 lines? :D

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people"

"I could kill you now"

"Frankly, I think the odds are slightly in your favor at hand fighting"

"It's not my fault being the biggest and the strongest. I don't even exercise."

so its 4 lines......;)

Remove ads