The Elite

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Manzanita said:
The Elite can be of any race. Their only difference is their superior ability scores.

At LA+1, the elite starts with a 42 point buy.
For LA+2, the elite starts with a 60 point buy.
And what about for Cohorts? Wasn't it decided that Cohorts would be made with a lower point buy? Unless you want to have a different list of point buy amounts, it might be easier to list it as:

For LA +1, the elite character starts with 12 extra point buy points.
For LA +2, the elite character starts with 30 extra point buy points.
(etc, for higher LA's, potentially)

Manzanita

First Post
I updated the original proposal by breaking it into two parts. One for new PCs, the second for allowing PCs to take it after 1st level.

One of the stumbling blocks in the thread I opened in the house rules section on this, was that people had different ideas on the amounts depending upon what the starting ability scores were. I'd prefer to avoid the cohort issue for now.

Patlin

Explorer
I vote NO on both. Perhaps I'm just convservative and stodgy, I just don't think this will improve the point buy.

If it (as seems likely, as most things seem to pass eventually) passes over my objection, I think we should consider some sort of system to ensure that DMs realize when they've got an Elite or other ECL character in their game.

Last edited:

Manzanita

First Post
Patlin said:
I vote NO on both. Perhaps I'm just convservative and stodgy, I just don't think this will improve the point buy.

If it (as seems likely, as most things seem to pass eventually) passes over my objection, I think we should consider some sort of system to ensure that DMs realize when they've got an Elite or other ECL character in their game.

If a proposal gets 3 yes votes & 3 no votes, does it pass?

In any case, in general, I believe we have allowed DMs to regulate which characters get in their games. They can say 'no evil PCs' or 'no psionic PCs' for example,if they wish. Did you have some other system in mind? Are you saying you wouldn't want any 'elite' PCs in your games?

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
I have a question... what happens if a character at 4th level or higher increases their point-buy? The character already has an ability-score increase from leveling. How would that be handled?

Rystil Arden

First Post
GnomeWorks said:
But is that after taking into account their ability increase, or no?
It is fairly clear that the Point Buy would retroactively change from the way it first started ignoring any stat points, inherent bonuses, etc. Otherwise you wouldn't even be able to raise your stat if it was already at 18.

Remove ads