EN World The ENWorld PbP Massacre Discussion

Creamsteak

Explorer
Kinda hoping for a general thread to discuss what we're going to do for various games that were either started during the past three to four months and perhaps how people are recovering their various games or threads.

I'm going to keep my Princes of the Apocalypse game going, we lost a lot of specific details and notes but as it is mostly from a published book it's not too hard for me to recover most information. My biggest loss is that two players joined during that time and we lost their character sheets I guess, but maybe they will still have local copies.

Regarding the Storm King's Thunder game I was going to run, I'm delaying that and will likely give it another go when I feel more steady about it.

I'm also curious if anyone will abandon these boards for somewhere else for PbP, as this is NOT the first time something like this has ever happened. I've been there through many migrations at this point. I'm sort of bothered that something like this can STILL happen after all these years.

Insight

Adventurer
I was GM-ing 2 games that both started within the past 3-4 months. I've lost everything I had. These were homebrew games and, while I had some notes on my side, I don't know if I'll be able to fully recover everything / anything. Very disappointed.

Shayuri

First Post
It's not the first time, but it's been quite awhile since the last time.

It is pretty horribly bad when, and that, it does still happen though.

I am in games on other boards, but Enworld is still the best for community size, activity and overall atmosphere. I've heard Giant in the Playground is good too, but I haven't been there.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm also curious if anyone will abandon these boards for somewhere else for PbP, as this is NOT the first time something like this has ever happened. I've been there through many migrations at this point. I'm sort of bothered that something like this can STILL happen after all these years.

It can and does happen to anybody, up to and including megacorporations and national security agencies. We've had a bit of bad luck, but hopefully we've used all that up now.

PbP games definitely got hit the worst. I feel terrible for you guys. :(

Trogdor1992

First Post
Well I lost everything for the 5 games I run, and the two I had starting up soon. It's a damn shame really.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y536A1 using Tapatalk

Trogdor1992

First Post
Trogdor, are you going to try to start again, or are your games dead now? :(
Depends on the game, From Nobles to Knights would be be easy to start anew, as i know you had just finished the beginning vampire fight, and the Level 20 Monster Hunter Guild campaign is still happening(though relisting and re-pricing all that stuff is gonna suck). I'm also definitely still doing the Evil Campaign, but I don't think you were in that one.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y536A1 using Tapatalk

Creamsteak

Explorer
It can and does happen to anybody, up to and including megacorporations and national security agencies. We've had a bit of bad luck, but hopefully we've used all that up now.

PbP games definitely got hit the worst. I feel terrible for you guys. :(

Well I'm of a couple minds on all of this. On one hand, I have always done PbP here because of the community size and general behaviors. There's very little drama, most people are professional and courteous, etc. On the other hand vBulletin is kinda dated, though I'm not sure what forum software has ever existed that might be better considering that most "newer" forums like vanilla require a lot of work themselves as well just to do the same kind of things.

Regarding backups, I can't say that I am not disappointed that there wasn't a more recent valid backup. I work with financial data, call recordings, call detail records, and other things where our records and storage standards are pretty high value for tons of regulatory reasons. It's a different beast, but we have multiple avenues to recover things if we have to. Even on our low value stuff, we were disappointed to lose just a days worth of data and we were able to re-build it. Obviously I imagine nobody has had to ever make forum software be that robust, but it would be nice.

Greenmtn

Explorer
I'm too new here to understand how stable it is here or what the ownership is like but I can say this through my experience in several paintball forums.

None are immune. I've seen several crash beyond the owners ability/motivation to get them back up. I've seen corporations have their forums hacked.

The best run one out there does nightly backups and still has on at least one occasion had to go back a few days to get to "Before the problem"

Is there a way that people could periodically back up their games off site in case of a problem or maybe do more frequent backups of the PbP sections?

Last edited:

Remove ads