The Floating City - OOC

mkill

Adventurer
(Note to forumgoers: This game is invitation only)

Dear members of the Book Club,

It is time to bring the band back together. If this is your first time to play online, don't despair. We're in the same boat, and we'll figure it out as we go along.

As a first step, please create an account on this forum and post here, so I know you are there. Also, if you have any comments, questions, requests and expectations, let me know so I can make the game fun for everyone.

The game I would like to invite you to is a continuation of our home campaign in the Jade Empire. These lands, once a mighty elven empire, have fallen under Orc occupation, but a small band of heroes has taken up the banner to free it.

* Organizational Part 1 *

We will use 4E rules. However, exploration, interaction and mysteries are much better suited to forum play than combat, so expect this game to be mostly about storytelling without much rules. However, there is a big war going on, so expect a big battle or two as we progress.

If you don't have a character in this campaign yet, please post a character concept here. We'll then figure out together how to fit you into the campaign. Feel free to pick any race, class or concept, I'll see how you can fit in. You can find some infos on our game world on the wiki. If you need more infos, ask here.

Since this is a forum, you can come and check posts any time. I know all of us are are busy working, so I'd say we set one post per day as the goal and see if that can work. If not, we'll try something else.

And by the way, this forum has an integrated dice roller. After you post, you can go back to your posting and click "add dice roll". It's kind of cool, try it out!

EDIT: Oh great, DM starts the campaign with an OWN.

Last edited:

Craig_H

First Post
And...... I'm in.

Okay, my first thoughts character-wise were towards an eladrin,elf or half-elf star pact warlock. Kind of going with the fate aspect of Anthares (the gold dragon deity). Figuring they're an orphan (perhaps taken in by the cult/church of Anthares) that has drawn the attention of said cult/church for perhaps being guided and empowered by Anthares. He/she is certainly quite religous and has really started talking up the impending downfall of their orcish overlords and the return of freedom in the Jade Empire. That's an early thought anyhow.

Out of curiosity Martin, did you have a plan for how you wanted to generate ability scores? Just asking cause I'm trying to play with some character builds on the character builder.

Edit: Just playing with the dice roller. Seems pretty solid system.

mkill

Adventurer
@craig : Sounds like a solid concept. It's definitely a character who would want to join this cause. Since the character is already Paragon-level, he (she?) would be either a really powerful child prodigy, or a seasoned veteran of the cause.
As for ability scores, we are using standard point buy from the book.

All: Some general information to help you make characters:

Races in the Jade Empire

The Jade Empire is located in the Northwest of a larger continent (did we ever give this one a name?). The Gold Dragon River cuts through the land from East to West. In the center lies Brodak-Baator, the old imperial city of the elves. Note that both elves and eladrin inhabit the Jade Empire. The races aren't distinctly separated, eladrin are merely elves with a strong innate arcane talent.

Elves worship the dragon gods. Strong devotees of the dragons are rumored to undergo a transition to become dragonborn. However, there are only very few of them, if they exist at all.

While elves make up the majority of the population, there is a minority of halflings, who have settled here for hundreds of years, although they migrated from the east.

With the orcish invasion came the orcs. However, to this day orcs remain a minority, and most of them are soldiers, mercenaries, menial laborers or petty criminals. There is a small elite, mostly the imperial family and high-ranking officers. The orcs mainly rely on corrupt old elven families to rule.

Even though orcs worship Baal, the demon lord, they are banned from becoming clergy. This position is reserved to minotaurs.

To the South lie the Diamond Spires, a towering mountain range that divides the Jade Empire from the Storm Plains. These mountains are home to dwarves. The Storm Plains to the south are a barren wilderness, with small pockets inhabited by orcs, minotaurs, dwarves, and xeph.

In the East, the Jade Empire is separated from Al'Mathka, land of the genasi, by the Jagged Peaks, another massive mountain range that is mainly inhabited by the Aftok, bird people.

To the north is an icy tundra, inhabited mainly by shifters and elven barbarian tribes.

The Jade Empire used to stretch all the way to the ocean in the west, but this area has been settled by humans who came to this continent over the sea. When the orcs destroyed the old empire, the humans claimed these lands as theirs, and founded Morrisland. The humans are technologically advanced, and are rumored to pilot gigantic war machines. They possess this technology thanks to gnomes who came with the settlers as engineers. The gnomes are also known to build warforged.

Last edited:

Albin

First Post
Finally registred!

Hi all
Apologies for being awfully slow.
I like the setting. As for character, I have not thought deeply about it and I have not been in the loop for the 4th edition, so I cannot be as specific as Craig. I can say that I quite liked my monk character in the eberron 3rd ed setting, but I am quite open for other suggestion on what would fit in best.
Best,
Albin

mkill

Adventurer
Hi Albin,
The 4E monk works very different from the 3E monk. You can ignore that it's now a psionic class, the main difference is that they have a lot of powers that are a combination of special movement (jumps etc) and an attack. You can try it, but I'm not sure how you like the results. I haven't looked closer at the class myself, so I can't help much with it.

Don't worry too much about filling a party role or whatever. Well, if you want to, we don't have a leader type yet. That still gives you a wide range of choices between cleric, warlord, bard, sentinel druid, runepriest, artificer, shaman and ardent...

I also thought about your question about bringing another player. I'm all for it, but at the moment it looks hard enough to coordinate all existing members. Let's get this running first and then add more people.

Who plays what

Ste: Obsidian (Swordmage)
Lac: Liandurel (Invoker)
Jon: Styn (Sorcerer) / Threilen (?)
Cra: Warlock (?)
Joa: ?
Alb: Monk ?
Yv: ?

Last edited:

Craig_H

First Post
I'll also throw in that my other thoughts for characters would be a warlord resistance leader type or a bardy diplomat/spy kind of guy.

mkill

Adventurer
I'll also throw in that my other thoughts for characters would be a warlord resistance leader type or a bardy diplomat/spy kind of guy.

These also sound good. Well, the hard part of being a player is to decide what to play.

For me, I just need a basic concept from everyone, maybe lines of text, so that I can start coming up with a way to bring you all into the campaign. Please come up with a character concept (3 lines of text) by Friday next week (March 9th) if you want to be in the first scene.

Who of you has a DDi account? If you have one, please make a character and upload the file to iplay4E. If not, we need a different solution. I'm fine if you find an Excel- or Word-based character sheet somewhere, fill it out and send me the file per email.

If you don't have any 4E books and no DDi account, tell me so we can figure something out.

lockwa

First Post
Salutations!

Well, here I am, with an EN World account after years of silently lurking on the forums here! Just dropping a note to let you know I've arrived (my Internet connection is finally set up!)

I'll get to work on digging up Liandurel and bumping him up to Level 11!:p

mkill

Adventurer
Great to hear!

By the way, I recommend you find the "Thread tools" menu at the top of this thread box and click on "Subscribe to this thread" there. That way, you get email when someone posts here. Saves you from checking the forum.

Last edited:

lockwa

First Post
Liandurel Twiceborn

For those who aren't as familiar, my character, Liandurel, was born an eladrin, but put himself through a ritual to become a dragonborn. He is a fierce devotee of Pyrecor, the Bronze Dragon god of Fire and Knowledge. As the game begins, Liandurel has taken the next step on his path toward the dragon gods, taking on the paragon path Scion of Arkhosia (basically, uber-dragonborn. Martin has some lore on his version of Arkhosia I believe).

His character sheet is up on iplay4e now and there's a lot more character background on the wiki. It's also fun (at least for me) to see how he evolved from 3.5 to 4e and how that effected his story!

Looking forward to seeing what everyone else is up to!

Remove ads