The Fourteenth Doctor is Here! | BBC Children in Need 2023 | Doctor Who

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
For those wondering what we're talking about it's the 2009 special for Red Nose Day with Rowan Atkinson, Richard E Grant, Hugh Grant, Jonathan Pryce and Joanna Lumley.
It's from 1999, well before the 2005 reboot. It's interesting that some of the incarnations of the Doctor here match up with the personalities and/or qualities of the Doctor in the course of the new show (in a very broad sense). Almost like they had a real time traveler to help write it... :unsure:

9th Doctor - Christopher Eccleston - Rowan Atkinson (a serious Doctor)
10th Doctor - David Tennant - Richard E. Grant (a young, quippy, sassy Doctor)
11th Doctor - Matt Smith - Jim Broadbent (OK, the shyness breaks my theory here...)
12th Doctor - Peter Capaldi - Hugh Grant (OK, 11 and 12 should be switched, for older and younger Doctors)
13th Doctor - Jodie Whittaker - Joanna Lumley (blonde female Doctor)

They also presaged the Master getting "Etheric Beam Locators" ;) and the 12th Doctor inspiring the Master to turn over a new leaf.

MarkB

Legend
It's from 1999, well before the 2005 reboot. It's interesting that some of the incarnations of the Doctor here match up with the personalities and/or qualities of the Doctor in the course of the new show (in a very broad sense). Almost like they had a real time traveler to help write it... :unsure:

9th Doctor - Christopher Eccleston - Rowan Atkinson (a serious Doctor)
10th Doctor - David Tennant - Richard E. Grant (a young, quippy, sassy Doctor)
11th Doctor - Matt Smith - Jim Broadbent (OK, the shyness breaks my theory here...)
12th Doctor - Peter Capaldi - Hugh Grant (OK, 11 and 12 should be switched, for older and younger Doctors)
13th Doctor - Jodie Whittaker - Joanna Lumley (blonde female Doctor)

They also presaged the Master getting "Etheric Beam Locators" ;) and the 12th Doctor inspiring the Master to turn over a new leaf.
Also, Doctor / companion romance plots.

delericho

Legend
I love that they cast 'bob' in that

If you're referring to "Bob" from Blackadder, I'm afraid not - that character was played by Gabrielle Glaister, while the companion in this, Emma, is played by Julia Sawalha.

Incidentally, the character of Bob does make a brief reappearance in "Upstart Crow", David Mitchell's Shakespeare comedy. (Or, at least, that's the implication.)

It was written by Steven Moffat, who was later to become showrunner.

If you're referring to "Bob" from Blackadder, I'm afraid not - that character was played by Gabrielle Glaister, while the companion in this, Emma, is played by Julia Sawalha.

Incidentally, the character of Bob does make a brief reappearance in "Upstart Crow", David Mitchell's Shakespeare comedy. (Or, at least, that's the implication.)

Damn, I thought it was the same actress

Nutation

Explorer
seriously they are removing the chair? Without the chair he comes off as a Palpatine wannabe

Obviously this was just a comedy skit?
Same reaction. Is villain-in-wheelchair really a trope? The two wheelchair examples I think of first are not villains, although one of them is Niles Caulder. We should have protagonists and villains in roughly equal proportions. A kid who can't walk should still grow up knowing he could conquer the world and rule with an iron fist. Claw. Plunger.
Edit: TVtropes does have a page for evildoer with disability, but it also has many other wheelchair tropes.

Last edited:

Remove ads