Race: Shifter [Longtooth]
Hit Dice: 1d8+2d10+1d12+8, 40 HP
Initiative: +3
Speed: 40 ft
Armor Class: 18 (10 +5 armor +3 dex)
Base Attack Bonus: +4
Grapple: +7
Attacks: Greataxe +8 ((1d12+5, 20 x3)
Full Attack: Greataxe +8 (1d12+5, 20 x3), (Bite +2 (1d6+1, 20 x2) while shifting)
Face/Reach: 5x5/5ft
Special Qualities: Shifter traits, Wild Empathy, Favored Enemy (Outsider[Evil]) +2, Rage, Fast Movement
Special Attacks: None
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +5, Will +1
Abilities: Strength 16, Dexterity 16, Constitution 14, Intelligence 10, Wisdom 13, Charisma 10
Skills: Balance +2[0], Climb +8[3], Hide +7[4], Jump +8[3], Knowledge(Nature) +4[4], Listen +5[4], Move Silently +7[4], Spot +5[4], Survival +7[6]
Feats: Track, Extra Shifting Traits[Beasthide], Power Attack, Beasthide Elite, Cleave
Action Points: 7
Languages: Common
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Deity: Balinor
Height: 5' 11"
Weight: 205 lbs

Inventory:
Chain Shirt +1 1250
Greataxe +1 2320
Migthy (+3) Composite Longbow, mw 700
Handaxe, cold iron 12
Handaxe, silver 26

Backpack 2
Bedroll 0.1
Potion of Cure Light Wounds x4 200
Potion of Shield of Faith x2 100
Potion of Bull Strenght 300
Pouch, belt 1
GP: 279
SP: 9
CP: 0

Note:
Shifting (2/day, 5 + new Con mod. rounds)
- +2 Str
- Bite Attack
- +4 Natural Armor
Rage (1/day, 3 + new Con mod. rounds)
- +4 Str
- +4 Con
- +2 moral bonus to Will
- -2 AC[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Background]Ankara was hiding in a bush. He stares at the deer. He had his small bow with him. Aksaray, his father was sneaking on the other side. Ankara was eager to have his first prey, so he took an arrow and ready his bow. But he hasn't been enough cautious, and his elbow touch a branch of the bush where he was hiding. The sound was perceived by the deer, and it took only a moment before the animal decide to leave. Ankara let his arrow fly without success, but then the animal falled and it stay lifelessly on the ground. Ankara get out of his hiding place and approach teh animal. A large arrow had hit the eye of teh animal on the opposite side.

"You have not listen to me" told his father, who was coming, his large bow in hand. "Don't be in such hurry." Ankara stared at the ground, ashamed. "Every kids do it at least once. I didn't more than that. Just be patient, learn to wait for the good moment. But for now, let's take the prey. But before, thanks Balinor and the spirit of the creature. You must always respect every living creature, may they be your pray, your friend or your enemy. This deer have given his life for us. Every part of his body can be use, so do not let waste it. His spirit has no more use of the body or any material things, they are yours to take profit of it, but you must not take anything for pleasure or for avidity."

"But the demon you hunt, you kill them and burn there corpse." replies the young Ankara.

"And I still repsect that. Demon want to destroy this lands. I don't kill them out of pleasure, not to make fortune or by pure sadism. I kill them because if I don't do it, tey will kill our lands. The sons of Khyber only want to rule this world and have no respect for life, not even between themsleves."

~~~~~

Ankara was at the side of his father. They were on the trace of an imp. Two other hunter were at there sides. The creature is sneaky and a weak member of his kind, but he must still be approach with caution, he is dangerous. It is Ankara who spot him. The creature was looking over a dolmen of the Gatekeeper. A place of power. That's what he was seeking. Why? To destroy it? To corrupt it? He didn't knew but one thing was sure, that creature wouldn't like to be seen, and would likely kill any witness. His father and the two others hunter hide themsleves. Ankara show himself weaponless. The imp spoted him. The creature, has expected, charge the young shifter. Ankara fake to flee and fumble in his escape. He turns around, as if he was scared. The imp never saw the trap. Three arrow flight at him, but only one touch him. his father markksmenship was reknown, but the other two hunters wasn't his equal. Ankara had no choice but to fight him before he escape. His skin became orange with stripe, and very thick. His fang grew enough to become a lethal weapon. He jump on it. Knowing his weak point, he bite him near the neck. The kill was instant. He had just killed his first demon.

~~~~~

Aksaray was leading the group. Officialy this group was sent by the local lord to see what has happen lately near the ruins of an old tower that lay in a virgin forest inside the lord's land. The lord's hunter has been dissapearing in this part of the forest. The Gatekeepers knew the origin of the tower. And knew what was dormant in it. Some evil have been made prisonner there. What kind? The Gatekeepers hadn't spoken about it. At the first sign the evil was awake, the had to be warn. And thus the small group was investigating the forest. It didn't took time to find the reason of dissapearance. The ten hunter corpse was hanged by the feet to trees. They had been skinned. The odor of death was floating in the air. A few dretch was feasting on one of the hunters. The group tried to retreat before they were spotted, but two dretch surprise the group from behind. It took a moment only that the group of Aksaray was figthing one against two for there life. The dretch had summoned more of there kind. Luckily, the group was used to fight them. There had been some wounded, but no one killed once they get rid of the dretch.

"Dretch, Imp, Quasit... it's start to be boring all these small creature. I would rather find something that really mean a threat." tells Jamira. He was part of tne group, and always has been reckless.

"You should be happy to only meet them. You are far from ready to meet more powerfull." replied Aksaray.

"If these creature were there, it's mean that the evil who was locked in the tower is now awake. I suppose it is still bound of his prison, but can now summon these minion to his aid. We must warn the elder, so they can put to sleep the evil again if they can't banish it for good." suggest Yoral, the apprentice druid of the group.

Aksaray nods. "Ankara. You'll deliver the message to the elders. You should be able to go to the meeting point and come back with the in one week. During that time, we will make sure nothing enter or leave that forest."

Ankara didn't liked the idea of playing the errant while the others would do more concreate things. But being the youngest of the group, he couldn't discuss the order of the leader, even less of his own father. He simply nod and then travel back to the lord's domain, where he took an horse and left the region to meet the elder. Three days of travel and he was in front of an elder, Jarami. He always has been impress by these powerfull druids and there great power.

~~~~~

Ankara was back in the Eldeen Reach. He was burrying his father, or at least what remain of it. He had only found the skeltton. He had been skinned alived and then eaten by these demons. The remains had been left. The only way he had identified the bones was his father's bow had been left next to the remains. All the other of the group had been burned or skin, but there body could still be identified. The tower had been put to ruins and the evil had escaped during Ankara's absence. All his group had be killed. Jamari sent a summon to other elders and they tracked the evil during a whole week before finding his new hiding place. The evil had been contained again.

But that had cost the life of his father. His father's wish was to be return to the lands he had grown, so Ankara brought back the remains of his father. Jarami was behind him.

"It is your fault." tells Ankara to the elder. "You've sent us against an opponent you knew we couldn't fight. You sent us to our death. Leave this place, you and the Gatekeeper are no more welcome."

"I'll go, but don't forget, your father died on a cause he was beleiving in. We never force anyone to do something, he agree to do this task with his group." The elder left without one more word.

~~~~~

Ankara was hunting in the forest. A few worg was decimating the games of the forest. He had already killed two, but the last one was still out there. He finally found his lair, so he was awaiting the creature. The fiendish wolf finally came back with another deer. It never smelled Ankara, who has place himself face to the small breeze that was blowing. The wolf entered the lair. He was trap. Ankara didn't wait any more time, and got out of his hiding place and Enter the lair. The wolf saw him and knew he was trap, but he wasn't scared. That creature must had killed more than one humanoid. The combat that followed was quick. Ankara's axe quickly split the wolf's skull in two. But even once the creature was death, he hack the beast a few time.

"You should learn to contain your emotion."

"I told you your were not welcome here." shouts Ankara

"You are outside your land, in the forest of the Gatekeeper. If you don't want to see us, don't come here. I've never bother you on your territory." replied Jamari, calmly. Ankara stay mute for a time, igoring the elder presence.

"That worg was doing nothing wrong for the moment. They have been hunting a lot, but not enough to unbalance the life in this forest. Don't hide behind false cause. The emotion you have are normal, but you don't handle them as you should. You are not responsible of your father's death, you could have done nothing to save him."

"You are the one who killed my father!" shouts Ankara. He quickly turns around, swinging his large axe who fly in the air, but the heavy weapon clumsly lands at the elder feets.

"You can hear the lie in your own words. You know it pretty well. You could haven't done nothing. Your father knew teh danger of his task, and he accepted it. You must accept that your father died for a cause he thought as right. He died for his belief. I don't tell you to have the same belief than your father, but accept it as it is, and channel your emotion in a cause you think worthy of." Jamari stared a moment at Ankara, who could look at the elder in the eyes. The truth he had told him was too heavy, too painfull. The elder transformed into a small cardinal and left the young shifter alone.

~~~~~

The letter came to him. He read it. What that man wanted? He couldn't tell. The letter had been place in front of his door. Who had place it there? Was it really for him or for his father? The words of Jamari's rang into his ears. Channel your emotion in a cause you think worthy of. Maybe he was right. Staying here hadn't been good for him up to now. This place araise too much memory in Ankara's head. He looked at the meeting place and the time. It was short, but he could make it in time if he hurry. He took the few possession and open the door to leave. He stayed a moment there, and his eyes came back inside the house. His father's bow was on the wall. His spirit has no more use of the body or any material things, they are yours to take profit of it had told his father once. His father would never need that bow again, but he could use it, it might come usefull. He finally took teh bow and left to meet that Sargessean.
[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
Shayuri said:
Bront...one thing to consider too is that a party with two warforged in it could really benefit from having access to an artificer's infusions. :)
Yeah, I'll keep him. Carver was fun :) (ask Maverick Weirdo).

MadMaxim

First Post
Ringmereth said:
MadMaxim: I should have noted that by the "Complete series" I meant the first four sourcebooks. Sadly, I don't own CP, but once again your concept sounds good. I'm not going to veto it--yet, at least. Let me take a look at Complete Psionics and I'll get back to you.
You're not making it easy for me, are you Ringmereth? ;-) Well, I assumed that Complete Psionic would be in the "Complete series" department, but I can easily switch to Cleric levels (devoted to the Path of Light) instead of Argent levels. I was just hoping I'd be able to give the Argent at shot since it looks like an interesting psionic alternative to the Cleric.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Vhir, Kobold Manipulator [Primary Concept]

Here is the completed concept for Vhir, the kobold warlock. He has been tuned to fill the face role with backup arcane might as well. I like the civilized scary guy look---think Lawrence Fishburne in Attack on Precinct 13.

Flavor Quote
Yes. I know what you expect. Should I sssslur my essess for you? No. Not I. I am not some tribal newcomer filled with naivety, forced to lisp and whine at your feet. My kind are the blood of the Dragon's, and I have been touched by two of them. Can you say as much?

My barbaric kin and their "ancient" ways are a trap, a trap of complacency. Not even the irvhir truly seek to free themselves, to truly seek what they want. I have seen the marks of the Dragon's in the earth, and I have walked the slave markets of Darguun. The towers of Sharn are well known to me, and the madness in the depths of Khyber whisper around me. If you have business for me, let us begin. Otherwise, my time will not be wasted.
Role
Primary: Face Secondary: Arcane blaster/caster/causer of madness

Background
[sblock=Background]Vhir was always an odd one in his kobold tribe. For one thing, there was the coloring---a dusky, midnight blue the color of Khyber. Secondly, there was always an odd smell around him. To kobolds, the smell of home was that of comfort, of tribe, of stability. But Vhir smelled... wrong. It was not quite the stench of the irvhir, the hated kobold-kin that claimed descent from the Dragon Below, but an aroma that was... unsettling. It was this scent that earned him the name Vhir---he smelled like "One Below".

The blood seers were unquiet around Vhir, but, since he was so obviously marked by The One Between, the seers had little choice but to raise them as one of their own. But it was poor going---though Vhir's mind was sharp, he could not master the sorcerous ways of his kin. Occasionally, however, strange things would happen---rocks would shatter, smaller kobolds would occasionally go mad, that sort of thing---when Vhir was around. Over time, the blood seers became convinced that Vhir was not touched by The One Between, but The One Below---Khyber.

Thus, Vhir found himself exiled, left abandoned in the mountains of Zilargo. Unluckily for him, these were the Seawell mountains---and he chose the Darguun side to descend. Needless to say, when the bugbear slavers tried to take him, it was not pleasant. He managed to slay two of them with his gifts of Khyber, but there were too many. He became a slave.

A year passed. Vhir was passed from master to master. Transitions happened so often since odd things kept occurring when Vhir was around---madness, swarms of bugs, that sort of thing. None could point at the kobold directly, but they knew he was responsible somehow. Others tried to kill him several times, but, by this time, Vhir had learned to ingratiate himself, and always had someone bigger and meaner looking out for him. Eventually, when his last master died---it was never quite discovered how---Vhir was "free." As free as a frail looking kobold could be in a nation of strength and barbarism.

Vhir had learned much in his time. He learned the power of the cold voice, the intimidating look, how the refined seem to draw power. He learned how to make people do things, and how to find out what he needed to know. He learned the lessons of power, and strength, and the weakening tribalism that gripped his clan. Most of all, he learned enough to know that Darguun was not the place to be. From traveling merchants, he knew about a place he could get lost, and never worry about such brutality again. Sharn. And thus, he hid himself in the first transport to the City of Towers. There, he could find misfits like himself and patrons who could benefit from his... abilities.[/sblock]
Appearance and Personality
[sblock=Appearance and Personality]The kobold known as Vhir has a reputation of being a competent negotiator. He has a civilized voice with an odd timbre that makes people uneasy and willing to help him all at once; the rumors of madness and other oddities that follow him also lend his presence some weight. His impeccable manners and well dressed appearance (nice clothes, fine Eberron-shard tipped darkwood walking stick) distinguish him from others of his kind. Shady, and some not-so shady characters, seek Vhir out when they need deals brokered in a discrete manner. Sometimes Vhir sent to bring a message; sometimes he sent is to scare. Vhir does not care about the details. As he learned in Darguun, the only thing that matters is comfort and survival.

Vhir works remarkably well with others. He is a fine judge of talent, an ability that he developed when playing the strong against each other in Darguun. He appreciates the skills that others bring. However, he doesn't care for any who hold him to kobold stereotypes or try to weaken his position, comfort, or freedom.

Vhir is very short for kobold, barely standing 2 feet tall. His skin, which his fine glammerweave clothes accent, is a dusky purple; his eyes glow a deep red when his shaders are not worn. He speaks with a deep voice for a kobold, in a very refined and assured manner. His actions and motions are very measured.[/sblock]
Abilities
Prominent Abilities: Charisma 18, Dexterity 16, Intelligence 14
Prominent Skills: Intimidate +19, Bluff +17, Diplomacy +12, Sense Motive +7
Prominent Feats: Ability Focus (voice of madness*), Force of Personality
Invocations: beguiling influence, summon swarm, voice of madness*

* Vhir currently uses the Khyber-tained warlock modifications from Dragon 332. Voice of madness replicates lesser confusion, but with a duration of 1 round + 1 round/2 levels. This can be changed if not acceptable.
[sblock=Full Stat Block]Name: Vhir
Class: Warlock 4
Race: Kobold
Hit Dice: 4d6+4, 22 HP
Speed: 30 ft
Armor Class: 21 (10 +5 armor +3 dex +1 natural +1 size +1 deflection)
Base Attack Bonus: +3
Grapple: -4
Attacks: Ranged Touch +7, mwk club -1 (1d4-3)
Full Attack: Ranged Touch +7, mwk club -1 (1d4-3)
Special Qualities: DR 1/beyshk, darkvision 60 ft., deceive item, detect magic at will, flaw (non-combantant), light sensitivity, kobold traits
Special Attacks: eldritch blast 2d6
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +8
Abilities: Strength 4, Dexterity 16, Constitution 12, Intelligence 14, Wisdom 10, Charisma 18
Skills: Bluff +17, Concentration +8, Diplomacy +12 (+13 in glammerweave), Intimidate +19 (+15 vs. Medium size), Hide +7, Knowledge (arcana) +3, Knowledge (the plans) +3, Search +4, Spot +0 (-1 with shaders), Sense Motive +7
Feats: Ability Focus (voice of madness) [Flaw bonus], Force of Personality [1st], Sudden Still [3rd]
Languages: Draconic, Common, Undercommon
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral or Neutral Evil (Eberron-style)
Deity: None
Height: 2 ft.
Weight: 35 lbs

Lesser Invocations Known: beguiling influence, summon swarm, voice of madness* (DC 18, 3 rounds)

Inventory:
mwk darkwood club/walking-stick w/ small Eberron-shard type (300 gp, 0.75 lbs)
+1 mithral shirt (2250 gp, 6 lbs)
ring of protection +1 (2000 gp)
shaders (1 sp)
4 potions of cure light wounds (200 gp)
2 oils of shillelagh (100 gp)
identification papers (portrait)
glammerweave courtier's outfit (135 gp)
belt pouch (1 gp, 0.126 lbs)
traveler's outfit (1.25 lbs)
letter of credit for 173 gp
Copy of several Korrenberg Chronicles and Sharn Inquisitives
25 gp, 9 sp (0.5 lbs)
8.9 lbs, light load (9.75 lbs medium, 19.5 lbs heavy, 30 lbs max)
[/sblock]
[sblock=Ability Justification]Vhir has a unusually compelling presence, which is indicated by his high Charisma and beguiling voice invocations. He is very weak, though a bit hardy (low Strength and a bit above average Constitutation), and does not fight particularly well (Non-Combative flaw). However, he learned to defend himself using his mind, particularly using his natural charisma. He favors lying and coersion, but can be nice as appropriate (full ranks in Bluff and Intimidate, none in Diplomacy---though naturally, he has quite a talent for it). Vhir is sharp, however, and knows how to judge when others try to deceive him (good Intelligence and Sense Motive).

Being touched by Khyber has given Vhir unusual talents, the foremost the ability to cause madness is others (voice of madness invocation); this talent is particularly strong in him (Ablity Focus feat). From his time in Darguun, he learned to use words as weapons (see above) and to value his freedom (thus high Concentration and Sudden Still feat for when grappled and such). His strong personality and belief in himself makes it hard for others to sway him (Force of Personality feat).

Vhir's tribal past only reflects itself in his rudimentary training in the arcane arts retained from his failed tutelage as a blood seer (1 rank in Knowledge (arcana) and (the planes).[/sblock]

Last edited:

stonegod

Jhen, Changeling Show-off [Secondary Concept]

Here is the completed Jhen. I removed the inquisitive flavor and went more with the joi de virve aspects of the swashbuckler. Definitely an acrobatic, taunting, front-line fighter type.

Oh, and for anyone curious, I'm trying to go for a Cockney or Irish like brogue for his chant. Probably botching it horribly, so my apologies in advance. :)

Flavor Quote
Me and me mates, we aren't treated well 'ere in Sharn. When it rains trouble and tha guard are looking for someone ta blame, 'ey blame us. The changelin's. Not tha's always wrong, ya see. I've seen ma share of tha rough an' tumble. Caused it too. But changelin's are pe'ple too.

Yeah, ya've seen ma before: The Tumbler of Hareth's Folly, The Shocker of the Cornerstone Games. I'm the one bouncing off the walls, look'n weak one moment, then with tha face o' horrors tha next. Ya see, sum' of ma kin hide their chang'n, others are always som'th'n else. Me, I know what I am---I'm a changelin', and I'll use everathin' I know to beat ya and humiliate ya. Nothin' personal, its just the sport.
Role
Primary: Skillful melee Secondary: Changeling Imposter

Background
[sblock=Background]Jhen grew up on the mean streets of Sharn. Quite the rogue, he spent his days living hard and fast. He had a quick wit and a quick tongue, but he also had the smarts to stay out real trouble. He avoided the gangs, and only nicked for fun and amusement. Mostly, he'd play daring-do re-enactments of the stories he read in the Korrenberg Chronicles: tales of the Salty Queen or Lanshar, the One Eyed Mercenary. He dreamed of being as dashing and exiting as them, and when he had the chance, starting fighting.

Dueling was sanctioned in some parts of Sharn, but it was the unsanctioned games that Jhen started in. He learned to fight dirty, and learned to fight smart. He daring-do dreams inspired a whole range of tactics, and he discovered his changeling abilities could help in the fight as well. Never one for playing "Be Mrs. Crumble", Jhen discovered he could use his changeling talents to distract or disrupt his opponents. Some say he dueled dirty, Jhen says they're sore losers.

With is wit and tricks, Jhen found his star rising in the local dueling scene. Savvy enough not to win too often, or against the gang's favorites (unless they wanted him too), the changeling's reputation grew fast across the City of Towers. Enough that he would occasionally be offered odd jobs, jobs that entailed adventure! It was the life Jhen always wanted.

Though Jhen plays up his connection to the "lower class" of Sharn, they have become a bit disaffected with him due to his status of darling among the elite. This makes Jhen try harder, which makes him more visible in the eyes of the rich, and thus more disliked in the eyes of the poor. This frustrates the changeling, though he hardly admits it. This further drives his desire to adventure---he hopes that the publicity of doing famous deeds will endear him to his former comrades. Worse comes to worse, he can through the money that he has earned at them. This will likely backfire immensely, but Jhen is not reflective enough to realize this.[/sblock]
Personality and Appearance
[sblock=Personality and Appearance]Jhen is a bit cocky, and enjoys being noticed. He's a quick one with a quip, and will merrily get in a brawl when one breaks out. But he is a cunning one, and knows when some fights are worth it and others are not. He is a solid friend, and will not abandon is comrades for anything.

Jhen, unlike many changelings, revels in his "natural" form, using quick changes from it to discomfort his foes. He does not buy into the "Reality Seeker" philosophy, or any of that philosophy bunk, mainly because he lacks the introspection to do so. He dresses flamboyantly in very polished armor and bright colors; the better to distract a mark with.[/sblock]
Abilities
Prominent Abilities: Dexterity 16, Intelligence 16, Charisma 14
Prominent Skills: Balance +12, Tumble +12, Bluff +11
Prominent Feats: Disturbing Visage
[sblock=Full Stat Block]Name: Jhen
Class: Rogue (changeling substitution) 1/Swashbuckler 3
Race: Changeling
Hit Dice: 1d6+3d10+4, 31 HP
Armor Class: 18 (10 +5 armor +3 dex)
Grapple: +4
Attacks: +1 rapier +7 (1d6+1/18-20)
Full Attack: +1 rapier +7 (1d6+1/18-20)
Special Qualities: changeling traits, grace +1, minor shape change, social intuition
Special Attacks: insightful strike +3, sneak attack 1d6
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +0
Abilities: Strength 12, Dexterity 16, Constitution 12, Intelligence 16, Wisdom 8, Charisma 14
Skills: Balance +12, Bluff +11, Escape Artist +10, Intimidate +8, Jump +10, Listen +3, Sense Motive +3, Spot +3, Tumble +12
Feats: Disturbing Visage, Quick Change, Weapon Finesse (B)
Languages: Common, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Deity: The Traveller
Height: 5' 5" ft.
Weight: 125 lbs

Inventory:
+1 shirt (1250 gp)
+1 rapier (2320 gp)
2 potions cure moderate wounds (600 gp)
potion bull's strength (300 gp)
potion cat's grace (300 gp)
potion fox's cunning (300 gp)
backpack (2 gp)
courtier's outfit
2 sunrods (4 gp)
identification papers with portrait
419 gp[/sblock]
[sblock=Ability Justification]Jhen fundamentally is a guttersnipe who accidently hit it big, but thinks he is still "one of the guys." Growing up among the mean towers of Lower Sharn, Jhen had to quick, had to be smart, and had to know how to talk his way out of situations (thus the good Dexterity, Intelligence, and Charisma). He was nothing more than a common changeling criminal before he discovered the arena, thus his one level in Rouge. This payed off, however, because his "fight effectively" strategy (i.e., sneak attacks) melds nicely with his swashbuckling style (lots of Balance, Jump, Tumble, etc.).

Though a changeling, Jhen never played any of the common changeling games---he is not interested in pretending to be someone else when he thinks himself is just fine. However, fitting his "fight effectively" style, he learned that changing at the right time could be a tactical advantage in his duels (Disturbing Visage tactical feat). He is not above using this change shape when needed, and his fine tooled skills at deception can assist there (good Bluff).

Reading tales of adventure growing up, Jhen has a strong desire to show off like they did in stories. He hopes it will earn him the admiration of his peers. However, he is a bit too sure of himself and not all that great at understanding others (low Sense Motive, Diplomacy, and Wisdom). Thus, his natural charisma can often backfire, especially with "his boys" that do not consider him one of them anymore (too famous to slum around, they think). This just makes him try harder, which just backfires more.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Mechanics of Morika, if the DMs desire to look her over. Also added physical description. If you need me to expand on her background in any direction, let me know.

Name: Morika Kevsecks
Class: Druid 4 (shifter druid substitution level 1)
Race: Shifter
Hit Dice: 4d8+8, 34 HP
Initiative: +4
Armor Class: 17 (10 +2 armor +2 Dex +3 shield)
Grapple: +6
Attacks: Shortspear +7 (1d6+3/x2, 20ft range, P)
Sickle +7 (1d6+2/x2, S)
Club (as shillelagh) +7 (2d6+3/x2, B)
Club +6 (1d6/x2, B)
Gore charge +9 (2d6+5/x2, B)
Full Attack: Gore charge +9 (2d6+5/x2, B) or
Shortspear +7 (1d6+4/x2, P)
Special Qualities: Shifting (+2 to Str, horns, lasts 7 rounds normally), low-light vision, +2 racial bonus on Balance, Climb, and Jump checks, Shaky flaw (-2 penalty on all ranged attack rolls), beast spirit (ability bonus, Alertness, extended shifting, feral empathy, will of the spirit), nature sense, wild empathy +8, woodland stride, trackless step, resist nature’s lure.
Special Attacks: Gorebrute charge (2d6+5), can knock people prone
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +6
Abilities: Strength 16, Dexterity 14, Constitution 15, Intelligence 11, Wisdom 15, Charisma 6
Skills: Balance +4, Climb +5, Concentration (2) +4, Handle Animal (5) +7, Jump +5, Knowledge (nature) (5) +9, Listen (4) +9, Ride +4, Sense Motive +3, Speak Language (Sylvan) (2cc), Spot (4) +9, Survival (5) +9 (+11 in aboveground natural environments), Swim (1) +3. While wild instincts is prepared, Spot and Listen are both +11.

Skill explainations: [sblock]Alertness feat (gained from beast spirit class feature) grants +2 to Listen and Spot. Shifter Instincts grants +1 to Listen, Spot, and Sense Motive, as well as +2 to initiative. Nature Sense (druid class feature) grants +2 to Knowledge (nature) and Survival. Feral Empathy (gained from beast spirit class feature) grants a +4 bonus to wild empathy checks and Handle Animal checks. Five ranks of Handle Animal grant a +2 synergy bonus to Ride checks and wild empathy checks. Five ranks of Knowledge (nature) grants +2 synergy bonus to Survival checks in aboveground natural environment. Five ranks of Survival grants a +2 synergy bonus to Knowledge (nature checks). +2 racial bonus to Balance, Jump, and Climb checks.[/sblock]
Feats: Gorebrute Elite, Shifter Instincts, Shifter Ferocity
Languages: Common, Druidic, Sylvan
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Deity: Greensinger Druidic traditions
Height: 4' 11"
Weight: 115 lbs

Spells Memorized/Spell Slots 5/4/3:
0thcure minor wounds x3, detect magic, detect poison
1stcure light wounds x2, magic fang, shifter prowess (RoE)
2ndbarkskin, bull’s strength, wild instincts (RoE)

Inventory:
Masterwork leather armor – 160gp
+1 heavy darkwood shield – 1,257gp
Masterwork silver sickle – 326gp
Masterwork darkwood shortspear – 331gp
Club
Heward’s Handy Haversack – 2,000gp
Boots of Comfort – 1,000gp (continuous endure elements while worn)
Bedroll – 1sp
Hammock – 5gp (A&E)
Flint and Steel – 1gp
Fishhook – 1sp
Money belt – 4gp (A&E)
Silk rope 50’ – 10gp
Climber’s kit – 80gp
Waterskin – 1gp
10 days’ worth of trail rations – 5gp
Explorer’s outfit – 10gp
Dagger – 2gp
Holly and mistletoe
Traveler’s outfit

20gp, 20sp, and 10cp are in her money belt
185gp and 7sp are in her haversack

I am not a kind person. More than most of my people, I am feral, dangerous, rude, and eager to spill blood. Yet I am not an evil person. The blood that I spill is that of the cruel and decadent, those that I am rude to deserve it, and the danger I represent is not to those on the side of good. My animal ferocity is brought against those who defile the world, not those who revere it.

This does not make me good in the eyes of many, yet I speak only the bluntest of truths in this matter. The beast spirit within my breast has no need for false words and sweet lies. I am a fighter of the wood, a seeker of truth, and a destroyer of darkness. Because I do not wear shining armor, I am discounted as a barbarian. Because I make no speeches to rouse the hearts of the weak and helpless, I am seen as cruel and rude. Because I gore my enemies to death with my own horns, I am feared. Because I demand gold for my strength, they whisper curses behind my back. Yet the danger passes after I have, and things are better when I leave.

My name is Morika. I am a gorebrute shifter, a druid whose animal spirit lies within rather than without, a hunter of evil and a speaker of uncomfortable truths. I will answer your call Elinvath Sargessean, for you seek those who act without though, who commits completely to a course of another's choosing. I am such a woman.

Morika was born at the border of the Eldeen Reaches, Breland, and what would become Droaam, and became thrown into the war at a young age. Her strength, even when young, was prodigious, and her senses were keen. Her shifting manifested early, in her growing the horns of the great mountain rams of the Byeshk Mountains. She was an only child in a small extended family of shifters, the Kevsecks, all of who fought fiercely to protect their tiny corner of the world from the armies of Breland and the monsters of Droaam.

The humans that lived near them welcomed her family's strength, but not them. Healing and other aid was given fearfully and reluctantly, and despite the fact that the villages needed the protection of her clan, they considered them little more than half-tamed beasts. Despite their reluctant care, they did have a deeply-buried kernel of pride, which is what kept the Kevsecks at their deadly work. Two uncles and five cousins died under the swords of ogres or the arrows of human archers, and Morika, too young to avenge them, had to find a new way to channel the anger of their senseless deaths.

It was her mother who led her deep into the unspoiled wilds to attempt to bring her child's anger and pain under control. Shifters often had uncontrollable tempers and bouts of violence that brought them such trouble, yet made them such powerful protectors. "It is called 'The Beast Within,' the blood of our lycanthrope ancestors that bound the spirit of the animals within us. In you it burns so brightly, my daughter. If you learn to bond and merge with your beast spirit, you can channel your anger, your pain, and be stronger than anyone could imagine."

Morika spent the last five years of the Last War at a curious peace with herself. She was still given to violence and rage, but now she raged with reason, with purpose. The establishment of the Treaty of Thronehold forced her to find a new reason. The simplest was to wander, something she had been wanting to do for many years. Freed from the responsibility of protecting the villages from marauding armies, she struck out across the Eldeen Reaches and beyond. Gold bought her strength, rage, and purpose now, her protection against the evils of bandits and monsters. Going as the wind took her, Morika has been searching for a new purpose with each new place and contract.

While Morika's mother, S'veka, followed no formal druidic tradition, Morika has found a niche in one of the lesser-known sects, the Greensingers. During the lulls in the Last War, Morika made friends with an oread named Stonefell in the Byshek mountains. Her own nature of the stubborn goat fitted with Stonefell's, and Morika began to learn more about the wider nature of fey from her. Though not a scholar, Morika made an effort to learn Stonefell's native language of Sylvan, so she could converse with other fey.

She fell naturally into the Greensinger sect when they found the angry young shifter talking earnestly with dryads and sprites in their territory. Most people have been very surprised when they learn what path Morika follows. She has the voice of a crow, the face of an irritable goat, and the rhythm of a rock, which puts her in the extreme minority with the beautiful and talented elves, half-elves, and humans that comprise most of the sect. Instead of representing the endless revel of nature, as most of them do, she represents its fury. She has been known to take up quests of vengence on behalf of fey otherwise bound to once area of the land.

Despite this, she has an almost childlike awe of natural beauty, and her rudeness disappears entirely from her when she is in the deep woods or conversing with friendly fey.

Morika is a small woman, heavily muscled, with a heavy forehead that gives her face a brutish cast. Her eyes are dark gray, and her long dark brown hair is worn in a multitude of braids. Tattoos cross her neck and back, as well as down her arms and legs in intricate, stylizes shapes of animals. Her expression is often dour, and when she smiles, her teeth are very sharp. She wears worn leather armor and sturdy clothing, and keeps a sickle at her belt and a shield on her arm. Her other weapons and various sundries are kept in her well-made backpack, so it seems she is traveling exceptionally light.

One thing people may notice about her is that she either keeps her hands in constant motion or locked on the hilt of a weapon or the strap of her shield. Would they see them still, they would notice that they shake, subtly but constantly. Morika doesn't exactly know when it started, but it's been going on as long as she can remember. Perhaps it's because of the death of her kin, or the nightmares she still has about what the monsters of Droaam did to them. Or perhaps it's just because she has too much anger within her to hold herself in stillness.

Last edited:

stonegod

I have finished out Vhir and Jhen. I'm happy with both of them, and think either would contribute something. Vhir is still my favorite. Let me know any thoughts/questions.

BTW: Thanks to Isida for the idea for the "flavor quote."

stonegod

stonegod said:
I have finished out Vhir and Jhen. I'm happy with both of them, and think either would contribute something. Vhir is still my favorite. Let me know any thoughts/questions."
Put up some thoughts on how Vhir and Jhen play with others. More than willing to work with folks to try to tie backgrounds together if desired.

Velmont

First Post
I just finished Ankara's background. Took sometime to shape him to be interesting. I am open to comments.

I could also link my background to other's without much problem. It's been at least a year Ankara hasn't been adventuring, and before that, he wa part to a small group, but that group could have easily join another small group during some contract.

Remove ads