• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Great Crusade (game is running, always looking for more players)

DrZombie

First Post
Looks good. I will post the rest later tonight if I have some spare time during the nightshift. If you're the only player left we'll start a solo game.
As for fleshing out the world: you can flesh out your culture. Run a few ideas past me. I'm a huge believer in the 'yes and' instead of the 'no you can't' school of gamesmastering since this is a very flexible setting.

[OMENRPG]Ben

First Post
Okay, well I'm thinking that his culture of origin would be a nation that lives on a small mountain near a desert, and are capable and sturdy people.

They are a small nation, and therefore do not possess a large warrior base, but train fastidiously and only promote those who show excellent promise and dedication. My character would come from such a background, having been schooled in combat from a young age and trained specifically to be a warrior.

He would not have much knowledge about other parts of the world, barring small wars or skirmishes that he would be involved in in the past. I want him to be about 30, and have a wife and a young child (maybe one to two years old.)

The culture specifically would be one of selective monogamy, but there is no taboo for polygamy or even one woman having multiple husbands. The gender roles therefore are fairly interchangeable, and there is little prejudice between the two. Although, it is understood that women and men excel in different areas, and therefore still tend to focus on different subjects of study.

Due to being persistently on a mountain, the people are not particularly fond of horses or any sort of mount, although respect and often use large animals in combat, just not for riding. Some form of mountain lion or leopard would be bred and trained to be released toward the enemy, dealing terrible damage, and serving as a companion (my character possesses no such companion.)

They are a fairly sedentary culture, preferring to build stable and fortified cities and structures rather than travel from resource to resource. Their reputation for combat prowess precedes them, so they are typically ignored by larger nations, although sometimes bought into alliances with offerings of valuable resources to gain their combat services.

As a society, it is particularly common to appreciate music (like most cultures) but nearly everyone is instructed in a kind of rhythmic chanting, both to assist them in focus and as a form of comfort for children. A different kind of singing, more operatic in nature, is used for entertainment and demonstration. Due to this, they rarely use instruments other than to augment one's voice, or to serve as minor melodic background.

Their religion is one that focuses power within, attempting to understand the great capabilities of the soul and mind of man, and respecting that a man is inherently selfish, violent, and bestial by nature. They attempt to divert this form of energy into one of righteous control, a sort of "cold anger" or complete focus. They utilize this in and out of combat, attempting to seek the fastest, most efficient, and perfect way to accomplish a task.

They are highly skilled masons, and work well with stone. Despite living in the mountains, they are still large of frame, especially in their shoulders, and often use heavy lifting as a form of calisthenics and entertaining athletics.

They are led by a council of three highly respected and highly ordained individuals: one is the current leader of their warrior-monk sect (the group my character belongs to), one is a wise man or woman who has studied the methods of peace and tranquility and brings focus and harmony to the society, and the last one is the interpreter of politics, other nations, and the God Emperor. The third one is a highly respected position, although many feel that they are a form of outsider due to their association with other nations.

They are not a racist or xenophobic people, and in general are gentle but firm. They prefer philosophical conversation over jest, but do have a sense of humor (although it is often seen too tame for some, and too sardonic for others.) They wear heavy clothes, with tighter layers close to their body and progressively looser layers beyond. Their mountain and desert is not especially cold, although in the winter it can snow.

I'd say the overall population, between the several cities spread through the mountain and the desert beneath are, is somewhere in the 500,000 to 1,000,000 range. My character would come from a city upon the mountain, where he owns a fairly nice estate, but is not considered a "noble", although is a rank of some authority within his warrior sect.

That's all I can think of for now, I'll add more later.

DrZombie

First Post
Sounds good.

Remarks :
about religion : check out the first post of the thread : the belief in the god-emperor should be worked into the general religion of your people.

It would be preferable if your character is a young adult, but if you'd really like to play an older warrior with a family it's not that big a deal.

[OMENRPG]Ben

First Post
Okay, that seems reasonable enough.

I think that for the God-Emperor to be incorporated into the religion, it would be seen as being closely related if not necessarily in blood but in spirit to him as to follow the internal path of perfection.

For example, being an excellent and capable warrior, while maintaining focus and dedication to one's family and principles, are traits that bring one closer to the God Emperor's favor and quality. He is seen as the personification of the ideals that they wish, and as stated in their politics, one of the three major rulers at a given time is the interpreter of the God Emperor's will, teachings, principles, or choice.

Hm, as far as my character's age goes, I'm not super in love with him being older with a family, but he could be as young as twenty-one to twenty-three, that doesn't seem too unreasonable. How young did you want? Sixteen? Eighteen? Twenty five?

I'm excited to build him to his completion and really see what he is capable of. I'm genuinely more excited about this game than some other real games I'm currently in.

DrZombie

First Post
Lol, I'll try to live up to your expectations.
That all seems good.
As to the age, just past his manhood rites would be canon to the setting, but I'm not really fussed about it.

Would you travel alone to the Great City to start the crusade to to follow the Star of the Emperor or would you travel with a group of your clansmen?

[OMENRPG]Ben

First Post
Okay, that makes sense.

As opposed to a "rite of manhood" could it be that he graduated from his military academy? That would make sense and be fairly comparable I would surmise.

It's not that my expectations are impossibly high, its just that I'm dissatisfied with most of my pen and paper games. Oh well.

If any of the other men of my nation or school would be welcome to travel with him, but I was thinking more that he would go alone or maybe with one other. What would you suggest?

DrZombie

First Post
Hi ben,

The 'call to arms', the gathering at the great city is a spiritual thing. You might have started off alone, impatient to get going, while the rest of the clan prepared for a long journey, maybe waiting for some offers to be hired as a mercenary unit. You might have taken a few friends with you, or a servant, or whatever.
It's up to you, really. I don't mind lugging along a few NPC's, the typical sidekick perhaps, I don't even mind if you ghost 'em if you want to. Or you could go at it alone, which would simplify things. You choose. Will try to post the modified guardsman class tonight, tomorrow at the latest. That'll give you some time to look at things because I'm gonna be very busy the next ten days.

[OMENRPG]Ben

First Post
Okay, that makes sense.

I think for now I'd rather him go alone, develop any relationships on the way. I'll be looking forward to seeing the class info, and getting started.

DrZombie

First Post
Allright. Page 15 : feral worlder traits : these stay unchanged
Page 23 : add the feral world modifiers to your stats.

Then : you start with 700 XP.
You can buy stat advancements and advancements from the first level.
When you have spent 500 XP you 'unlock' the second level and can buy advancements from the first and the second level. Onc eyou have spent 1000 xp you'll unlock the third level, then you can buy advancements from all three levels, and so on.
The stat advancements give you +5/rank, so for example weapon skill is 100/250/500/750 so if you wanna buy a +10 it'll cost you 350 xp.

[sblock=WARRIOR CLASS]

Characteristic Advances (+5/rank)
Characteristic Simple/Intermediate/Trained/Expert
WS 100/250/500/750
BS 100/250/500/750
Strength 100/250/500/750
Toughness 250/500/750/1000
Agility 250/500/750/1000
Intelligence 500/750/1000/2500
Perception 250/500/750/1000
Willpower 500/750/1000/2500
Fellowship 500/750/1000/2500

Man-At-Arms XP 0 -499
Advance Cost/Type/Prerequisite
Awareness 100 /S/-
Ride (Horse) 100 /S/-
Swim 100 /S/-
Primitive weapon/Bladed 100 /T/-
Primitive weapon/Blunt 100 /T/-
Primitive weapon/Polearms 100 /T/-
Primitive weapon/Twohanded 100 /T/-
Thrown Weapon Training 100 /T/-
Sound Constitution* 100 /T/-

*You may take this Talent up to 3 times this rank.

Guard XP 500-999
Dodge 100 /S/-
Ride (Horse) +10 100 /S/Ride (horse)
Ciphers (War Cant) 100 /S/-
Common Lore (Organised Armies)100 /S/-
Survival 100 /S/-
Swim +10 100 /S/Swim
Primitive weapon/Lance 100 /T/-
Quick Draw 100 /T/-
Sound Constitution 100 /T/-
Common Lore (War) 200/S/-
Inquiry 200/S/-
Heavy Armor Training 200/T/-

[/sblock]

[OMENRPG]Ben

First Post
Okay, so I think I've done this correctly.

My bonuses with skills after world additions:

Weapon Skill: 17 + 20 = __37
Strength: 16 + 25 = _____41
Toughness: 16 + 25 =____41
Agility: 16 + 20 = _______36
Willpower: 13 + 15 = _____28
Intelligence: 11 + 20 = ___31
Fellowship: 10 + 15 = ____25
Ballistic Skill: 10 + 20 = ___30

Advances:
--- +5 to Weapon Skill (100 xp cost)
--- +5 to Weapon Skill (250 xp cost)