• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Great d20 sell off begins with GRR

Aus_Snow

First Post
humble minion said:
Just got an email from my LGS. They're doing Green Ronin package deals - either $300 for 44 preset products ($1300 value) or $200 for 10 ($580 - mostly big stuff like Black Company). Pity it's all-or-nothing though - I'd have a look at a few GR booksif I could buy them individually...
I went through Paizo instead (I got the same email from m/s,) and that still ended up better, in my estimate, and obviously with much more freedom of choice. There are some real gems there still - I would recommend at least getting a few.

Erekose said:
Thanks guys - definitely seems weight related (or perhaps size?). For the three books I'd definitely want I get a minimum P&P of $39. I can then add three others (including Book of the Righteous) before it trips to the next category.

Yeah, it worked out quite well for me. Because there were quite a few books that I liked at that price, but only a few that I definitely wanted to get, I was able to mess around with my order to find the combination that gave me the most books and still kept the shipping costs from tipping over to the higher amount. Depending on what you choose you may actually be able to get more than 3 books added to your order.

Olaf the Stout

Henry

Autoexreginated
Squeal.
Smile.
Shock.
Scream.
Rant.
Cry.

Hopefully this sale will be around for a few weeks. I just started a new job, and until my funds get straighter in a few weeks, I can't partake yet.

humble minion said:
Just got an email from my LGS. They're doing Green Ronin package deals - either $300 for 44 preset products ($1300 value) or $200 for 10 ($580 - mostly big stuff like Black Company). Pity it's all-or-nothing though - I'd have a look at a few GR booksif I could buy them individually...

Aus_Snow said:
I went through Paizo instead (I got the same email from m/s,) and that still ended up better, in my estimate, and obviously with much more freedom of choice. There are some real gems there still - I would recommend at least getting a few.

I checked out the deal on Mil Sims' website. For the books that they are offering it's not a very good deal. At the current exchange rate buying the same books from Paizo would be over $30 cheaper than from Mil Sims, even after paying for shipping. Add to that the fact that you can't choose what books you want to get, you have to buy all the ones they are offering.

If I were you humble minion, I would order some books through Paizo if you really want them. The shipping costs are expensive if you only get one or a couple of books but I found that you could add quite a few books to your order before the shipping amount jumps to the next level.

Olaf the Stout

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Erekose said:
. . . unfortunately Esdevium do know that it's not just America . . . there just not interested! :(

Honestly? I'm not sure that many retailers would be. There was reportedly a downturn in third-party d20 sales before the 4e announcement and again after the announcement. It seems that many retailers are having their own sales in an attempt to move product (the big FLGS here has had all of their third-party D&D books on sale at 30% off for over a month now). I'm not certain that taking on new product, even at a discount, will work well for such retailers.

jdrakeh said:
Honestly? I'm not sure that many retailers would be. There was reportedly a downturn in third-party d20 sales before the 4e announcement and again after the announcement. It seems that many retailers are having their own sales in an attempt to move product (the big FLGS here has had all of their third-party D&D books on sale at 30% off for over a month now). I'm not certain that taking on new product, even at a discount, will work well for such retailers.

We're talking a pretty big discount here though. If the MSRP on a lot of the products is $2 then what the retailers are paying for them would probably only be $1. From a cost perspective, they're not really taking much of a risk since the stock isn't going to cost much to buy. The only reason I could understand for someone not wanting to buy some of this stock is that they already have a lot of Green Ronin product on their shelves that they paid the regular wholesale price for (i.e. a fair bit more than the MSRP while the sale is on).

Olaf the Stout

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I asked my FLGS. He still makes money at this price point, and I ordered a lot of this. Had he not told me he was making money, I would have ordered from Paizo. Chris was very clear earlier in the thread that they are making this worth the distributors' and retailers' time and effort. My guess is that most won't buy this w/o a preorder, and most aren't saavy enough to post these prices in their store....

GeorgeFields

Explorer
TerraDave said:
But where am I going to put all this stuff?

My house? ;)

I've been hitting these sales and eBay like crazy. I've gotten more books the past 4 months than I have the past 4 years.

Kenzer & Co and Green Ronin have both dipped into my wallet. Fantasy Flight Games is having a one week sale, but I think it is almost over now. I'll have to check into it. I wonder who's next.

If 4e is causing these sales, I LUVS TEH 4E.

ivocaliban

First Post
GeoFFields said:
My house? ;)

I've been hitting these sales and eBay like crazy. I've gotten more books the past 4 months than I have the past 4 years.

Kenzer & Co and Green Ronin have both dipped into my wallet. Fantasy Flight Games is having a one week sale, but I think it is almost over now. I'll have to check into it. I wonder who's next.

If 4e is causing these sales, I LUVS TEH 4E.

This sounds awfully familiar! ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads