The Malazan Book of the Fallen: The Burning of Kindle

Friday

First Post
Ivy's mouth opens to utter a retort to the giant's comment, but appears to think better of it. The huntress sits herself down on one of the nearby rocks and pulls her leather gloves off, gently laying a hand on the warm rock.

The heat seems to become more pressing, not necessarily increasing but you are all becoming more aware of it.....

[sblock=Helicraters]You examine Durzo as he lies on the barren ground. You note his breathing is shallow but not laboured, there are no obvious injuries, no bleeding wounds or bruising that you can see. A closer look reveals some light bruises around his temple, as though something had struck him - reasons indicates he may have struck his head as fell when D'rek first made her irritation known amidst the sudden strong winds in that other realm.
You've seen similar things on the battlefield, moons ago, men struck down by blunt force. You've stood with cutters as they've examined those injured like this. They've spoken of swelling in the skull, difficult to relieve with their usual tools, and a sleep from which these souls are unlikely to wake. You already know that Durzo will not respond to any ministrations you might make. This would take High Denul or perhaps even the intervention of the goddess, Soliel, and mother of healing herself....[/sblock]

Walking Dad

First Post
Teth (Tough +6, Fort +7, Reflex +6, Will +11; Defense +4)
Condition: Fatigued

"I have to rest now, but I will try to set a warding around us to help us withstanding Telas' might."

Teth explains before he closes his eyes in concentration.

[sblock=ooc]
Teth will try to create an area, where people get attuned to the Warren of Telas. See below for mechanical effects.

Warren Telas (35 PP):

Intended setting
Immunity 6 (Heat, Fire) (Affect others, Area (burst), Fading, Total Fade, Slow Fade) - 18 pp + ranks in slow fade

or

Immunity 6 (Heat, Fire) (Affect others, Area (burst), continuous) - 24 pp

OOC: Usual Setting
Blast (Fire, Autofire, Penetrating) +4 (16 PP)
AP: Blast (Fire, Line) +5 (1 PP)
AP: Blast (Fire, Cone) +5 (1 PP)
AP: Obscure (smoke) (smell and sight, Selective) +5 (1 PP)
AP: Fire Control +8 (1 PP)
AP: Environmental Control (Heat, Light) (Independent, Total Fade) +5 (1 PP)

Immunity Fire (10 PP) (already active)
Strike (Aura, Fire) +4 (4 PP)
[/sblock]

Voda Vosa

First Post
Helicrates stands up, with a grim expression in his face. "Durzo will not awake, not without the intervention of a high Denlu... I've seen this before, a strong hit in the head." he remains there, gloom airs around him "This is a terrible end for a warrior"

Walking Dad

First Post

Teth slowly opens his eyes.
"Do you know any such healer or do we have to relieve him ... ? If we caanot help him, we shouldn't prolong his suffering."

[sblock=ooc]
Teth will try to create an area, where people get attuned to the Warren of Telas. See below for mechanical effects.

Warren Telas (35 PP):

Intended setting
Immunity 6 (Heat, Fire) (Affect others, Area (burst), Fading, Total Fade, Slow Fade) - 18 pp + ranks in slow fade

or

Immunity 6 (Heat, Fire) (Affect others, Area (burst), continuous) - 24 pp

[/sblock]

Voda Vosa

First Post
"If we ever get back to kindle, I think our boss could contact such healer, I don't think he wants to loose an asset like Durzo, specially after paying him such a sum of money." Helicrates reasons. I might be wrong, but I'm not taking his life. So hurry up and takes out of this place, I want to be back at Kindly before dinner."

Walking Dad

First Post

"You misunderstand the situation. We just angered a goddess and I was barely able to open the portal for our escape. She cannot reach us in another Warren, but we should be careful to just return to Kindly.
But I can open a portal for you if you insist after I created some wards and rested."

[sblock=ooc]

Warren Telas (35 PP):

Intended setting

or

Immunity 6 (Heat, Fire) (Affect others, Area (burst), continuous, selective) - 25 pp

[/sblock]

Voda Vosa

First Post
"If you put it like that, I guess I have no rush, if you can do something about the heat" Helicrates retorts. He turns to the huntress. "Its time for you to speak up woman, why were you after the dead witch?"

Friday

First Post
The Warren of Telas

[sblock=Teth]
OOC: How many ranks of slow fade are you using here? Just so I can work out how long the first description of your ward will last - that would be the better of the two to go with because you can set the ward and leave it, allowing yourself to rest and get rid of the fatigued effect
Teth will need an hour or so to recover from the fatigue - assuming he does nothing else sorcerous (apart from create this ward)[/sblock]

Teth's sorcery creates a faint, hazy circle of light over the rocky floor. It encircles you all and the oppressive heat of this warren suddenly seems much more bearable.

"As I said before, giant, I hunt the Bonewitch's creators. Two necromancers in the city of Kindle" she explains curtly, "Hardly a forgiving endeavour and not one I anticipated being so problematic"

Ivy glares up at Helicraters, eyes narrowed.

"I might ask what you are all doing protecting her? Hired by that meddline fat merchant you said? What's his stake in all this? I'm surprised he's interfering in things like this mere days before the Malazan army marches on Kindle" she muses, "By the time we return, or rather if we return, the Imperial Claw will likely have killed everyone who didn't bargain with them and there'll be sappers at the broken city walls giving Kindle even more ruins...."

The woman's frustration is palpable. She jabs a finger at Helicraters, taking care not to touch his armour.

"I'm not afraid of you giant, take you out of that armour and drop that bloody sword and I'd give you cause to regret dragging me through bloody warrens!"

OOC: Teth requires some time to rest before attempting to open a portal out of the warren - this will be approx 1-2 hours once we've clarified some mechanics.

Helicraters: Make a sense motive check, if you please!

You can use this time to distribute additional powerpoints - consider yourselves PL 6 now - see OOC thread.

PS If the 'pink' for Ivy's speech isn't easy to read, let me know!

Voda Vosa

First Post
Helicrates grins at the finger pointed at him. He laughs slighlty, then more profusely, until his good hearted laughs fills the silence. "My dear woman, if you could take me out of this cursed armor, you'll be better magician than the combined high mages of all the warrens themselves. This armor, and this sword, they are cursed items, I cannot part off them, they are so attached to my body you could not take them apart, even if you cut me down to size. So sorry, but I will not be able to comply and show you my naked torso even if you ask nicely." the warrior ends his explanation with a chuckle to himself.
"I do not know, and do not care what the fat good for nothing merchant wants with the dead witch, as long as he keeps filling my pockets with gold coins; if you ask me, necromancy is disgusting, but there's no denying that she's one powerful walking skeleton. If my intuition doesn't fail me, the witch and the necromancers have something prepared for the Malazan army, so I wouldn't count to see the city in ruins when we return. If we do," he shrugs. "I have survived the empire's forces before, I'm a survivor, I'll find some way to pull through."

Sense motive: 8

Friday

First Post
The Warren of Telas

The warrior's words have some impact as the edges of Ivy's mouth curl up slightly, betraying her apparent amusement at Helicrates' retort. Running a hand through her now sweat-sodden hair, she grins wolfishly at the giant.
"Trabant take you, giant, I don't believe I've had an offer like that in a while......not in my line of work"
Ivy stands and stretches, making a show of easing out kinks in her back. The huntress cuts a fine figure in her form-fitting leather armour.
"Your command of this place is impressive, wizard, but you're no High Mage.....should I have heard of you before?" Ivy turns sharply, facing Helicrates "And you, a man trapped in his armour? What an unfortunate curse.....I've never encountered anything quite like that....have you had your friend here look at the power that binds it to you? One who can apparently dance out of the wrath of a goddess and tame his Warren is surely one who can undo your curse...."
The woman smiles slowly, almost lazily, and turns to look at the surrounding landscape.
"As for Kindle......do you know how the Empire takes cities like it? Let me tell you gentlemen...Laseen will sit her pert bottom on her bloody throne and command the Claw to enter Kindle undetected, she'll charge them to seek out the local assassin's guild" Ivy pauses, turning to face the two men once more with a troubled expression on her face, "The Empress will offer the guild's master something they cannot refuse, in exchange for their help in eliminating those in authority. She'll offer them Kindle, the price of it is the heads of each high-ranking member of the Houses and worse still, she'll give them the means to do it - whether with poisoned blade or otataral sword"
"Kindle will fall to the Malazan Empire, whatever Goble is trying to orchestrate will not stand to protect it. The ones I seek, the necromancers will not care. They will simply go elsewhere, they are here only because it is convenient to them for some reason, though I don't know what that is"

[sblock=Helicrates]Ivy simply appears exasperated with her situation. You can tell she is not afraid of you, despite having experienced first-hand what you are capable of. This is not a woman who is easily rattled by her odd circumstances. You find this aspect of her quite charming, in other circumstances....who knows?

OOC:Could you make a Wisdom roll please? Just D20 + Wisdom modifier[/sblock]

[sblock=Teth]The wards you have created are stable enough for now, they will hold back the rigours of Telas for long enough that you can rest in comparative comfort until you feel able to open a portal back to your own realm.

OOC:Could make a Notice check and a then a Sense Motive check please?[/sblock]

Remove ads