"The Marvels" - Teaser

Also expect to hear every physics student in the audience grind their teeth when they do that
As a physics major, I have no teeth left to grind after reducing them to powder watching Godzilla (my biologist friends followed suit in Godzilla King of the Monsters). I’ll put some anti-chafing cream in my gums just in case, though.

pukunui

Legend
I liked Quantumania, but I wasn't overly pleased by it. My issue with the movie was that it was a movie that would never have happened if the characters had just communicated. If Kang explained to Janet why he needed to do what he does, she would probably have gone along with it. If Janet had explained to her family why the shouldn't go into the quantum realm, Kathryn wouldn't have built her plot device. Communication... destroyer of plots.
My girls and I finally got around to watching Quantumania on Disney+ over the long weekend. I enjoyed it as well. I didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as lots of people have been saying. I also agree that it is a movie based on poor communication.

That being said, I don't agree that Kang would have been able to win over Janet. She saw into his mind. His interest in ending the inter-Kang conflict was not altruistic. He wanted to be "He Who Remains" no matter the cost.

What I do want to say is: the further we delve into this MCU multiverse, the more I am left wondering what the point of Loki was. It made it seem like that was the starting point where the multiverse was freed ... yes, I get it that once the sacred timeline came unbound, it did so at all points in time and therefore the multiverse has always existed ... but the Ancient One sent Dr Strange on a quick tour through the multiverse before Sylvie killed He Who Remains.

Did Janet spend 30 years alone in the quantum realm up until the sacred timeline broke, changing her past so that she spent it with Kang, Bill Murray, etc? Or had she always spent it with them regardless of the current state of the timeline?

The events of season 1 of Loki either made a difference or they didn't, and right now I can't figure out which it is. Quantumania didn't really help on that front.

As an aside, it also felt like another torch-passing movie, especially with all the banter between Scott and his daughter about how he's been resting on his laurels and not wanting to be an active Avenger anymore while she is very much an activist, getting herself thrown in jail for helping people and so on.

Clint has passed the Hawkeye torch to Kate.
Natasha sort of passed the Black Widow torch to Yelena.
Steve passed the Captain America torch to Sam, who took a while to accept it.
Bruce has potentially passed the Hulk torch to both his cousin and his son.
Dr Strange is set to pass the torch to his new protégé, America.
Thor has literally passed Stormbreaker on to Love.
Some of the guardians have passed on their torches.
And so on ...

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Oh, they are 100% setting up Young Avengers/Champions. I would expect the next Avengers movies (assuming they don't pull them from the schedule due to Majors' issues) to be the new guard, played by less expensive actors than the crew in Infinity War and Endgame.

My girls and I finally got around to watching Quantumania on Disney+ over the long weekend. I enjoyed it as well. I didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as lots of people have been saying. I also agree that it is a movie based on poor communication.

That being said, I don't agree that Kang would have been able to win over Janet. She saw into his mind. His interest in ending the inter-Kang conflict was not altruistic. He wanted to be "He Who Remains" no matter the cost.
I don't think he could have convinced her. He has terrible communication skills, and she seems to not listen, either. It's a conversation destined to fail.
But seriously, I'm not sure how much they've changed storylines from the comic stories they've adopted from. They are changing and combining stories and plots and I think they may lead themselves into dead ends, but easily remedy that problem by simply ignoring and creating a whole new plot hole to get passed any issues. Why does this one Kang want to be "He who remains," while the others seems to all be meeting together and talk about this one Kang?

I'm pretty sure they never really thought out his argument for eliminating all the other timelines.
What I do want to say is: the further we delve into this MCU multiverse, the more I am left wondering what the point of Loki was. It made it seem like that was the starting point where the multiverse was freed ... yes, I get it that once the sacred timeline came unbound, it did so at all points in time and therefore the multiverse has always existed ... but the Ancient One sent Dr Strange on a quick tour through the multiverse before Sylvie killed He Who Remains.

Did Janet spend 30 years alone in the quantum realm up until the sacred timeline broke, changing her past so that she spent it with Kang, Bill Murray, etc? Or had she always spent it with them regardless of the current state of the timeline?

The events of season 1 of Loki either made a difference or they didn't, and right now I can't figure out which it is. Quantumania didn't really help on that front.
Yeah, I'd like to think that Loki made a difference, but I'm not sure. At the end of Infinity War, Ant-Man gets stuck in the Quatum real after Thanos does his snap, and no one can get him out. 5 years pass, and Ant-Man makes it back. 5 years in the Quatum realm, but he didn't gain any real knowledge like Janet got. Sure, she was in there for 30 and he only 5, but 5 years is 5 years, and it's enough time to pick up a little info. But all that was just wiped away for Quantumania, So, I'd like to think that Loki meant something, but I think it was an abandoned plot for this movie.
As an aside, it also felt like another torch-passing movie, especially with all the banter between Scott and his daughter about how he's been resting on his laurels and not wanting to be an active Avenger anymore while she is very much an activist, getting herself thrown in jail for helping people and so on.

Clint has passed the Hawkeye torch to Kate.
Natasha sort of passed the Black Widow torch to Yelena.
Steve passed the Captain America torch to Sam, who took a while to accept it.
Bruce has potentially passed the Hulk torch to both his cousin and his son.
Dr Strange is set to pass the torch to his new protégé, America.
Thor has literally passed Stormbreaker on to Love.
Some of the guardians have passed on their torches.
And so on ...
Yeah, more than likely they are pushing it towards younger actors.

pukunui

Legend
Why does this one Kang want to be "He who remains," while the others seems to all be meeting together and talk about this one Kang?
Didn't the one that Loki and Sylvie met mention that some of his variants were more collaborative than others (or words to that effect)?

Yeah, I'd like to think that Loki made a difference, but I'm not sure. At the end of Infinity War, Ant-Man gets stuck in the Quatum real after Thanos does his snap, and no one can get him out. 5 years pass, and Ant-Man makes it back. 5 years in the Quatum realm, but he didn't gain any real knowledge like Janet got. Sure, she was in there for 30 and he only 5, but 5 years is 5 years, and it's enough time to pick up a little info. But all that was just wiped away for Quantumania, So, I'd like to think that Loki meant something, but I think it was an abandoned plot for this movie.
Scott says in Endgame that the 5 years only felt like 5 hours for him. That doesn't mean it was only 5 hours, but perhaps Janet's 30 years felt like less than that as well? But also, as Janet says at the start of Quantumania, the quantum realm has worlds within worlds. Scott may have ended up stranded in an area where there isn't really any life.

As for Loki, the reason it's a bit frustrating for me is that they tied Quantumania back into Loki with the second credits scene.

MarkB

Legend
Yeah, I'd like to think that Loki made a difference, but I'm not sure. At the end of Infinity War, Ant-Man gets stuck in the Quatum real after Thanos does his snap, and no one can get him out. 5 years pass, and Ant-Man makes it back. 5 years in the Quatum realm, but he didn't gain any real knowledge like Janet got. Sure, she was in there for 30 and he only 5, but 5 years is 5 years, and it's enough time to pick up a little info.
He wasn't in there for five years by his time, he was only in there for a few hours. That's a key plot point in Endgame - it's how he discovers that the Quantum realm might be used for time travel.

It's referenced in Quantumania - Scott wonders at one point how much time has passed in the real world while they've been down there, whether it's been hours or years.

Staffan

Legend
Is it just me, or is Kang just really boring? "Now, for my secret weapon, I with bore you to death with my monologing!"
I haven't seen Quantumania yet, and it might be because I grew up with a view of the Marvel Universe filtered via the Swedish publisher (who focused on X-Men, Spider-Man, the Hulk, and the Fantastic Four with occasional looks at the wider MU; and thus not seeing much of the Avengers and their shenanigans) but Kang never really seemed like an A-tier villain to me. He's definitely no Doom or villain-mode Magneto. It seems his main weapon is Convoluted Continuity.

I mean, yes, he has highly advanced technology, including power armor. But that just makes him an evil Iron Man.

Remove ads