The Mechanical Impact of -5/+10

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
No problem, I just wanted to make certain you were aware of the potential impact. The cost for the ability "as is" is the feat purchase, but by making it a general rule, you are going to increase the chances of it happening a lot. Players will realize even accepting a -1 penalty for +2 damage is beneficial nearly all the time (this ultimately does depend on average damage as well but is generally true).

For instance, even at level 1, assuming a +4 attack bonus (2 prof, 2 ability), the character is better off in the long run accepting a -2 attack for +4 damage on any AC of 19 or less (nearly all of the targets likely in Tier 1) if their average base damage is 8 or lower (typical).

Anyway, if it works for you that's cool.
I've debated limiting it in some fashion, as it isn't really need in Tier 1. I'm considering requiring Extra Attack to be able to do it, as that separates the martial builds from everyone else.

Or I might just add feats to support versatile weapons, light weapons, and some other less used combinations to boost other fighting styles. Depends on how ambitious I feel. :) I've probably got another year before it's my turn in the chair anyway.

Remove ads