• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[The One Ring] The Marsh Bell: Character Creation

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
@CaBaNa , I was thinking of playing the elf below. Magic is (appropriately) small and subtle in this game. Wizards are far more rare than even a master "magician" like David Copperfield, Chris Angel, or Houdini in our own world - and even then, the Wizards are important more for the breadth and depth of their knowledge of the world and its creatures, cultures, and dangers than for any magic they might possess.

I think of a Wizard like what a modern person with a PDA with the internet on it back in the Dark Ages might be like. Oh, and they have a pistol with six bullets in it, a laser pen/flashlight, a swiss army knife, and night vision goggles.

Even someone with the "small magics" like our characters might possess are extremely rare.

Name:
Culture: Elf of Mirkwood Standard of Living: Martial
Cultural blessing: Folk of the Dusk Calling: Warden Shadow weakness: Lure of Power
Specialties: Mirkwood-lore, Woodwright, Shadow-lore
Distinctive features: Hardened, Keen-eyed
Body: 5 Heart: 3 Wits: 6
Body (favoured): 6 Heart (favoured): 6 Wits (favoured): 8
-Common Skills-
  • Awe: 2 Inspire: 0 Persuade: 0
  • Athletics: 3 Travel: 1 Stealth: 2
  • Awareness: 2 Insight: 0 Search: 1
  • Explore: 1 Healing: 1 Hunting: 1
  • Song: 2 Courtesy: 0 Riddle: 0
  • Craft: 1 Battle: 2 Lore: 3
-Weapon Skills-
  • Bow: 3 damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
  • Sword: 1 damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 16 enc: 2
  • Dagger: 1 damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
-Virtues-: Wood-elf Magic
-Rewards-:
-Gear-
Endurance: 25 Starting Endurance: 25 Fatigue: 3 Hope: 11 Starting Hope: 11 Shadow: 0 Armour: 0 Headgear: 0 Parry: 6 Shield: 0 Damage: 0 Ranged: 0 Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1 Experience: 0 Total Experience: 0

Last edited:

fireinthedust

Explorer
Just throwing my hat into the ring as an alternate. I hope it's not needed, but it would be rather fun. (currently re-reading the Hobbit isn't helping either).

As a character I'd want to have one who can smoke, guess riddles, and get into and out of trouble. All the archetypes look terrifically fun, however, for different reasons, so I suppose I'd have to see what the party needs IF it ever comes up.

Until then: let the lurking begin!

garyh

First Post
Here's my character from the first thread.

Name: Culture: Dwarf of the Lonely Mountain Standard of Living: Rich
Cultural blessing: Redoubtable Calling: Slayer Shadow weakness: Curse of Vengeance
Specialties: Stone-craft, Tunnelling, Orc-lore
Distinctive features: Hardy, Vengeful
Body: 6 Heart: 3 Wits: 5
Body (favoured): 9 Heart (favoured): 5 Wits (favoured): 6
-Common Skills-
  • Awe: 0 Inspire: 2 Persuade: 0
  • Athletics: 1 Travel: 3 Stealth: 0
  • Awareness: 0 Insight: 0 Search: 3
  • Explore: 2 Healing: 0 Hunting: 0
  • Song: 1 Courtesy: 0 Riddle: 2
  • Craft: 3 Battle: 2 Lore: 1
-Weapon Skills-
  • (Axes): 3
  • Short sword: 1 damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
  • Missing:localizeKey: 0
-Virtues-:
-Rewards-: Axe of the Azanulbizar
-Gear-Endurance: 31 Starting Endurance: 31 Fatigue: 0 Hope: 9 Starting Hope: 9 Shadow: 0 Armour: 0 Headgear: 0 Parry: 5 Shield: 0 Damage: 0 Ranged: 0 Wisdom: 1 Valour: 2 Experience: 0 Total Experience: 0

FourMonos

First Post
Here's what I was thinking:

Name: Culture: Hobbit of the Shire Standard of Living: Prosperous
Cultural blessing: Hobbit-sense Calling: Treasure-Hunter Shadow weakness: Dragon-sickness
Specialties: Smoking, Story-telling, Burglary
Distinctive features: Curious, True-hearted
Body: 3 Heart: 7 Wits: 4
Body (favoured): 5 Heart (favoured): 8 Wits (favoured): 7
-Common Skills-
  • Awe: 0 Inspire: 1 Persuade: 2
  • Athletics: 1 Travel: 2 Stealth: 3
  • Awareness: 2 Insight: 1 Search: 2
  • Explore: 1 Healing: 0 Hunting: 0
  • Song: 2 Courtesy: 3 Riddle: 3
  • Craft: 0 Battle: 1 Lore: 1
-Weapon Skills-
  • Short sword: 2 damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
  • Bow: 1 damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
  • Missing:localizeKey: 0
-Virtues-: Woeful Foresight
-Rewards-: Lucky Armour
-Gear-
  • Leather shirt enc: 4
  • Buckler enc: 1
Endurance: 23 Starting Endurance: 23 Fatigue: 7 Hope: 19 Starting Hope: 19 Shadow: 0 Armour: 0 Headgear: 0 Parry: 4 Shield: 0 Damage: 0 Ranged: 0 Wisdom: 1 Valour: 2 Experience: 0 Total Experience: 0

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
@JoeNotCharles , when we come up with backstory/personality stuff, do you want us to post it in the thread or just PM it to you so we learn about the other characters as we go?

Also, could you clarify how the Virtues/Rewards things work? What do Valour and Wisdom do?

Were you wanting to do a step-by-step breakdown of character creation or just have us throw our builder characters up (as we have done)?

Could you also explain the basic mechanics? From what I could glean without having access to any of the rules, it's roll d12 add d6s equal to your "ranks" in the skill and try to get as high as possible at or above a target number set by the GM. You can optionally spend a point of Hope to add the related attribute (Body/Heart/Wits) or the Favored version of the attribute if it's a favored skill (presumably before you roll rather than after). There's special rules if you roll an Eye of Sauron(11) or a Rune of Gandalf(12) or a 6 on one of your skill dice. That about right?

Last edited:

JoeNotCharles

First Post
when we come up with backstory/personality stuff, do you want us to post it in the thread or just PM it to you so we learn about the other characters as we go?

Up to you whether you want it to be open or keep it hidden.

Were you wanting to do a step-by-step breakdown of character creation or just have us throw our builder characters up (as we have done)?

I was planning on doing it step by step so that I could explain the mechanics used at each step, instead of having to dump all the mechanics on you at once. Also so that if at any point you say, "Oh, so THAT'S what that means! Well, that doesn't fit my character at all!" you have time to change the characters you've already generated.

Could you also explain the basic mechanics? From what I could glean without having access to any of the rules, it's roll d12 add d6s equal to your "ranks" in the skill and try to get as high as possible at or above a target number set by the GM. You can optionally spend a point of Hope to add the related attribute (Body/Heart/Wits) or the Favored version of the attribute if it's a favored skill (presumably before you roll rather than after). There's special rules if you roll an Eye of Sauron(11) or a Rune of Gandalf(12) or a 6 on one of your skill dice. That about right?

Yes, that's right. I'll be explaining that, and how skills work, in my first mechanics post tonight, now that (almost) everybody's weighed in on a race (and usually more than that...)

JoeNotCharles

First Post
I guess I'll continue, even though we're still waiting for [MENTION=84680]treex[/MENTION] to weigh in. So far we have three dwarves, two hobbits, and an elf.

Your culture gets you 3 fixed things and opens up the next set of choices. The three are Standard of Living, Skills and Cultural Blessing. However, before explaining how skills work, I'll need to explain Dice Rolls and Attributes.

Dice Rolls:

The One Ring uses two types of dice: the Feat die is 12-sided die numbered 1 to 10, plus the Eye of Sauron and the Gandalf Rune. If the Eye of Sauron is rolled, the Feat die counts 0. If the Gandalf Rune is rolled, the roll is an automatic success. (We'll use either the forum's built in roller or invisiblecastle.com, and roll a d12 with 11 as the Eye of Sauron and 12 as the Gandalf Rune.) As well as the Feat die, you roll a number of Success dice, each of which is a d6 with an extra Tengwar (the Elvish writing system) rune on the 6.

When I call for a die roll, I'll give you a target number and the name of a skill. You'll roll the Feat die plus a number of Success dice equal to your rating in that skill, total them up, and try to beat the target number. If you succeed and roll any Tengwar runes, it counts as an extraordinary success; if you didn't roll any Tengwar runes, you only narrowly succeeded.

So if you have an Athletics skill of 3, and you're trying to move a heavy boulder, I might hall for a TN 14 Athletics roll. You'd roll d12+3d6, trying to beat a target of 14. If you roll an 11 on the d12, the d12 counts 0 (but if you rolled high enough on the 3d6 you could succeed anyway). If you roll a 12 on the d12, you succeed automatically. And the number of 6's you rolled on the d6's tells you how impressively you succeeded.

Normally you will roll on skills, but you might also roll on Wisdom (which represents your experience and common sense) or Valour (which represents your courage).

Attributes:

Everyone has 3 attributes which are rated from 1 to 12: 1-2 is poor, 3-4 is average, 5-6 is good, 7 and higher are superior. You don't roll on attributes: they only come into play after you make a skill roll. Each skill has an associated attribute; after you roll, you can spend a point of Hope (more on that later) to add your attribute value to the roll.

Each attribute has a base value and a favoured value, which is 1 to 3 points higher. If you're spending Hope to add to one of your favoured skills, you add the favoured value instead of the base value.

Body is your physical prowess.

Heart is your force of spirit.

Wits is your intelligence and cunning.

Attributes aren't set directly by your culture, so I won't explain how they're calculated yet: the important thing right now is the difference between base and favoured values, and how they add to skills.

Skills:

Everybody has the same set of common skills, but different cultures focus on different skills. Skills are rated from 0 to 6, with 0 being unskilled, 1 being poor, 2 being average, 3 being good, and 4 or higher being superior.

As well as common skills, there are weapon skills, each of which represents your skill with a single weapon or group of weapons. More on those later.

Common skills are arranged in a grid:

2vjepfp.png

At the top of each column is the Attribute that's linked to that skill; its base value gets added to your skill roll if you spend Hope. If the skill is favoured (noted by underlining it) you add the favoured value instead.

To the right of each column is the skill group, which is just used to organize the skills into logically related sections.

Personality skills are for social interaction: Awe is used to impress or intimidate someone with your sheer force of presence; Inspire is used to encourage people with stirring words and actions; and Persuade is used argue using truth or falsehood.

Movement skills are for physical exertion: Athletics is used to run, jump, climb and swim; Travel is used to withstand the hardships of long journeys; and Stealth is used to hide and move silently.

Perception skills are for seeing and noticing things: Awareness is used to keep track of your surroundings; Insight is used to understand others' motives; and Search is used to make a concentrated effort to find things.

Survival skills are for dealing with hardship: Explore is used to find your bearings when lost and deal with natural hazards (in comparison, Travel is used to avoid fatigue even on known roads - in unexplored wilderness, I'll call for both Travel and Explore rolls); Healing is used t o treat wounds; and Hunting is used to track animals and find food in the wilderness.

Custom skills are for civilized behaviour: Song is for singing, reciting poetry and knowing the words to epics; Courtesy is for etiquette and respecting traditions (often very important when you need to impress a great lord!); and Riddle is for deducing information and concealing it from others.

Vocation skills are for the tasks society calls on: Craft is for making and mending things and creating art; Battle is for knowledge of tactics and the ability to keep your head in combat; and Lore is for knowledge and learning.

Beside each skill group is a space to record Advancement Points. I'll sometimes (not always!) reward advancement points after you make a skill roll; at the end of the adventure, you cash these in to improve your skills. More on this later.

So, your culture determines your basic ranks for common skills, and sets a few to be favoured. Later you'll have a chance to raise skills, and declare more of them to be favoured.

Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain start with Awe 0, Inspire 2, Persuade 0, Athletics 0, Travel 3, Stealth 0, Awareness 0, Insight 0, Search 3, Explore 2, Healing 0, Hunting 0, Song 1, Courtesy 0, Riddle 2, Craft 3, Battle 1, and Lore 0. Note that Craft is favoured, so if you spend Hope after making a Craft roll, you add your favoured rating in Body.

Hobbits of the Shire start with Awe 0, Inspire 0, Persuade 2, Athletics 0, Travel 1, Stealth 3, Awareness 2, Insight 1, Search 2, Explore 0, Healing 0, Hunting 0, Song 2, Courtesy 3, Riddle 2, Craft 0, Battle 0, Lore 0. Note that Stealth is favoured, so if you spend Hope after making a Stealth roll, you add your favoured rating in Wits.

Elves of Mirkwood start with Awe 2, Inspire 0, Persuade 0, Athletics 3, Travel 0, Stealth 2, Awareness 2, Insight 0, Search 0, Explore 0, Healing 1, Hunting 1, Song 2, Courtesy 0, Riddle 0, Craft 0, Battle 2, Lore 3. Note that Awareness is favoured, so if you spend Hope after making an Awareness roll, you add your favoured rating in Body.

It's a good idea to have all the skills covered between your party, so keep an eye on which skills everybody has.

Standard of Living:

This shows how prosperous your culture is. At the beginning, all your equipment comes from this culture, although as you adventure and find treasure you can move beyond your culture's standard of living.

Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain and Hobbits of the Shire are Prosperous: almost all of them live in great comfort, and they spend a lot of effort on decorating their items and making them artistic. Your weapons may not be more effective than others, but they're prettier.

Elves of Mirkwood are Martial: living among the dangers of Mirkwood, their culture is organized for war - their equipment (and especially weapons) are well made, but of plain appearance since they don't have much leisure to embellish them, and while they have plenty of food so no one goes hungry, much of it is hoarded against bad times so except at special feasts, nobody eats lavishly.

Cultural Blessing:

This is a special ability that's so ingrained in your culture, every member, from the lowest farmer to the greatest warrior, has access to it. They're each a unique ability with their own rules.

Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain are Redoubtable: most people work out their Fatigue rating (the higher, the closer you are to becoming Weary, which is bad) by adding up the weight of all their gear; dwarves do the same, but then they subtract their favoured Heart score from the total.

Hobbits of the Shirt have Hobbit-sense: each hobbit in your group raises your Fellowship rating by 1 point (Fellowship is a pool of points that everyone in the group can draw on; you spend Fellowship to regain Hope), and when making a Wisdom roll (similar to a skill roll; your Wisdom represents your common sense - more on that later) you can roll the d12 twice and keep the best result.

Elves of Mirkwood are Folk of the Dusk: when they are inside a forest or under the earth, or it is night, elves use their favoured attribute rating every time they spend Hope, not just when they spend it for favoured skills.

Any questions on the above? If not, I'll move on to describing your next choices: weapon skills and specialties.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Weapon Skills

Weapon Skills are just like Common Skills. They're rated from 0 to 6, and are all linked to Body. When you attack somebody with a weapon, you roll on your skill for that weapon. If you spend a point of Hope, you can add your base Body score to your attack roll.

Weapon Skills can also be favoured, which lets you add your favoured Body score if you spend Hope.

A Weapon Skill always applies to one specific weapon: a normal Sword, a Short Sword or a Long Sword, for instance. If you have a rank of 3 in Short Sword, and you pick up a Long Sword, your weapon skill doesn't help you - you still have a rank of 0 with Long Sword.

The one exception is Cultural Weapon Skills. If the name of the weapon skill is in (brackets), it means that your culture is so well known for their use of that type of weapon that you can use all variants of it. If you had a rank of 3 in (Swords), that would apply equally to Short Sword, Sword and Long Sword.

Cultural Weapon Skills can never by favoured, but if you have a cultural weapon skill you can split one single weapon out of it, and make that skill favoured. (For instance, it's possible to have (Swords) 3, Long Sword 3. Or even (Swords) 3, Long Sword 4.)

Each culture has a choice of two weapon skill packages. Usually one of them contains a (cultural) weapon skill group, and the other contains a favoured weapon skill.

Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain can choose:

1. (Axes) 2, Short Sword 1, Dagger 1
  2. Mattock 2, Short Sword 1, Dagger 1

Hobbits of the Shire can choose:

1. Short Sword 2, Bow 1, Dagger 1
  2. Bow 2, Short Sword 1, Dagger 1

Elves of Mirkwood can choose:

1. (Spears) 2, Sword 1, Dagger 1
  2. Bow 2, Sword 1, Dagger 1

I know you've already picked your weapon skills, but I was confused about what the (cultural) weapon skills meant the first time I read it, so if the explanation changed your mind about what you want, you can change it now.

Traits and Specialties:

Everyone can choose 2 from a list of traits that are considered their culture's specialties. Traits are a general fuzzy category of "things that you're good at". An example is "Boating" - if you have that trait, it implies that you know how to row and sail, and that you can keep a boat in good repair and judge whether craft are seawothy.

Traits come into play in three ways:

1. If I call for a roll, and you can convince me that one of your traits applies to the current situation, you can automatically succeed without rolling. (But this is counted as a minimal success, so you might want to roll anyway to see if you can get any 6's.) For example, if I ask for an Athletics roll, TN 14, to hold your boat steady as you shoot the rapids, you can automatically succeed without rolling if you have the Boating trait.
  2. If I don't call for a roll, because I've decided that something happens regardless of what you do, you can get a roll anyway if you can convince me that one of your traits applies. For example, if I say that the sound of your oars carries a long way over the water so it's impossible to sneak up on somebody by paddling across the lake, you can ask for a Stealth roll anyway because you are an expert at Boating.
  3. As I mentioned above, after you make a skill roll I may give you an Advancement Point, which can later be spent to raise your common skills. If you have a trait that pertains to the current task, it's much more likely that I'll give you an Advancement Point. You have to roll, though - you never get an Advancement Point for using a trait to auto-succeed. (You also have to remind me, because I may not always remember which traits you have.)

Traits can either be something you know, like Boating, or describe some facet of your personality, like Wrathful.

Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain can choose any two of Fire-making (lets you make a fire in extreme weather and difficult conditions), Smith-craft, Smoking (helps you to relax and concentrate), Stone-craft, Trading and Tunnelling.

Hobbits of the Shire can choose any two of Cooking, Gardener, Herb-lore (), Smoking, Story-telling and Tunnelling.

Elves of Mirkwood can choose any two of Boating, Elven-lore, Fire-making, Mirkwood-lore, Swimming, Woodwright.

Backgrounds

Now that you've chosen your overall culture, you can choose a more specific background from within that culture. The backgrounds given are only samples, so we can make up our own following this pattern, but I'd prefer not to do that right now.

Each background gives you the base scores for your Attributes (Body, Heart and Wits), lets you make another common skill favoured, and lets you choose two more Traits.

I'm not going to list each background - there are two many (6 for each culture, so I'd need to copy out 18 entries). You can find them at the character generator. If you can't get to it for some reason, let me know and I'll list the backgrounds available to you.

Adventuring Age:

Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain start adventuring at 50 to 100 years old.

Hobbits of the Shire start adventuring at 25-60 years old.

Elves of Mirkwood start adventuring at 100 to 500 years old.

So, based on what I've explained so far, anybody want to make changes to what they've chosen already? If not, I'll continue tomorrow with your Calling, Gear, Endurance and Fatigue, Hope and Fellowship and Valour and Wisdom.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
There's a thread talking about the game here that has more information too.

I think I'm good with my character as is, I'll get to work on the background. To everyone else that's playing, do you all want to post your backstories publicly or submit them privately? It might also make sense for all the members of each race know and/or be related to each other having traveled together to get to Lake Town.

Can we pick whatever mundane gear we want and what do the various armors do?

The other thread has general combat rules but leaves a few things out - are you "Weary" when your Endurance drops below your encumbrance?

Mm... I'm going to have to push my roommate to finish with the Hobbit so I can read it again!

Voda Vosa

First Post
I am with a lot of free time now: This matter as for this: I have made a table that depicts our balance on skills. I think it's pretty self explanatory. Seems that our weak points are social and exploration skills.

Code:
		WD	VV	C	IS	G	FM	Skill totals	Skill group total
Awe		1	0	1	2	0	0	4	
Inspire		2	2	0	0	2	1	7		15
Persuade	0	0	2	0	0	2	4	
Athletics	1	1	0	3	1	1	7	
Travel		3	3	1	1	3	2	13		28
Stealth		0	0	3	2	0	3	8	
Awareness	2	0	2	2	0	2	8	
Insight		0	0	2	0	0	1	3		25
Search		3	3	2	1	3	2	14	
Explore		2	2	1	1	2	1	9