• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Priest

Sylrae

First Post
As mentioned in the Cleric revision page Kerrick started my cleric revision is to split it into two classes. One focused on casting for casting, and one with the cleric's combat ability(and with reduced casting). This is the page for the Priest (the caster focused).

Priests and Battlepriests are not assumed to be healers. They have healing magic, but without the healing domain, they dont go all the way up to mass critical.

The Priest has a d4 hd, and the same spellcasting table you see in the cleric listing in the PHB. It has no armor proficiencies. It's a spontaneous caster (so is the Battlepriest, when I get it). Because of the fact that its spontaneous, it should have a limited number of spells it can access (though I'm not sure of the exact number yet).

The Priest and Battlepriest are more specialized than the cleric was. It has a much smaller 'general' list, and the spells per day come more from the domains, so the possibility for vastly different clerics exists. This will also be how we limit the number of spells the cleric has access to.

The Idea is that once finished, the general list never changes, but you can have altered domains, new domains, etc.

The finished product may have an increased number of domains, that I'm not sure of yet.

Anyways, if you have suggestions, or want to help me work on the domain lists and whatnot, here is the present WIP.

Tell me what you think. Its far from finished, but here's the starting bit.

The hard part (or the long part, depending on how you look at it :p) is the revised spell list

Attachments

• Priest.doc
    83 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Kerrick

First Post
The hard part (or the long part, depending on how you look at it :p) is the revised spell list
Yeah, I would say so; you've cut down their list to about half the original. How many domains do they get?

Sylrae

First Post
Yeah, I would say so; you've cut down their list to about half the original. How many domains do they get?
I was thinking 3, but each domain should be expanded to like 2 spells per level.
Look at the healing spells and res spells in the general list, you dont get nearly as many, and theyre at higher levels.

They should have a limited number of spells, but they should get the same number regardless of which domains they choose, so all the domains need to be the same size. Then we need to determine just how many spells that is they should get.

I'm also going to want to include /revise the Archivist (Heroes of Horror) - he casts cleric spells similar to a wizard. but I'm not sure how to go about revising him. He has no domains or turn powers, but he gets a bunch of monster lore powers in addition to full casting (as a wizard, but with cleric spells). He's also a d6 HD, and has armor proficiencies... I'm getting ahead of myself. I'll bring that up when we have priest and battlepriest done.

Last edited:

StormingMarcus

First Post
I would not give to anyone a d4 hitdie. I'd make the range from d6 to d12, maybe linked to bab progression (like PRPG); otherwise, simply bump all the classes' hitdie 1up (the barbarian sticks to d12, i don't think it's a real problem).

Sylrae

First Post
I would not give to anyone a d4 hitdie. I'd make the range from d6 to d12, maybe linked to bab progression (like PRPG); otherwise, simply bump all the classes' hitdie 1up (the barbarian sticks to d12, i don't think it's a real problem).

I dont see a problem with a d4 HD when everyone is getting extra hit points at level 1. (either 10-18, or 11-28 extra hit points)
Plus (I'm guessing you didnt notice) the priest has a 5/8 BAB. If I tied it to HD ala pathfinder, that makes the priest get a d7. lol.

What about the rest of hte class. Can you think of a way to bring the Priest up to par? How many spells should hte priest have access to overall?

Last edited:

Sylrae

First Post
Can you guys maybe help me go through this one as fast as possible? I have a player asking to make one for the campaign were starting on saturday.

Thats faster than usual, I know. Considerably.

I'm gonna get alont done for it tomorrow night. I have an exam tomorrow morning so I need to get the exam out of the way first.

Things I specifically need help with.

What would you guys suggest for class abilities? Presently theyre going to get their deity ability (each deity will grant an ability from domains. the ability should be as good as turn undead/rebuke undead).

How many spells should they have available to choose from. I want a small general list, and expanded specialized lists. So they'll be picking domains, but I dont know how many spells each domain should have, or how many domains they should get access to for spells.

Thats about it (though those 2 things are pretty big). :p

Last edited:

Kerrick

First Post
I assume you're starting from L1, so we don't need to do a lot right now - just figure out the basic spells and one or two abilities.

You said you were going to use my idea of granted powers based on portfolio... so what god is he going to follow, and what portfolios will said god have? This would also affect, in large part, what spells he could have/use.

Sylrae

First Post
I assume you're starting from L1, so we don't need to do a lot right now - just figure out the basic spells and one or two abilities.

You said you were going to use my idea of granted powers based on portfolio... so what god is he going to follow, and what portfolios will said god have? This would also affect, in large part, what spells he could have/use.

True, that hasn't been decided. I haven't decided what gods are available yet though. For available deities it will likely be Ravenloft + FR (then just throw out any deities that don't match the campaign theme).

He'll likely be playing with Lathander Morninglord as his god. I dont know if he wants to play a priest or a battle priest yet, so whichever he picks ill work on that one first, lol. for now, the stuff thats common between them is all a good idea.

Lathander: Portfolio: Good, Nobility, Protection, Renewal, Strength, Sun
Rematch it to the revised domain list (maybe include healing), or life, or both...

Either way I still need to figure out how many spells should go in a domain. 18? 9? and how many domains shouldthey get access to?

Keep in mind the alternate casting mechanic. its no longer skill based, but they still need to make a roll to pull it off.

StormingMarcus

First Post
I dont see a problem with a d4 HD when everyone is getting extra hit points at level 1. (either 10-18, or 11-28 extra hit points)
Sorry didn't read. Where is that written precisely?
Plus (I'm guessing you didnt notice) the priest has a 5/8 BAB. If I tied it to HD ala pathfinder, that makes the priest get a d7. lol.
I did notice, and i don't like it? I suppose you made it that way only to give a third attack, but to make the priest not as combat-skilled as the cleric. Then i suggest you make the progression 1/2 level, as the wizard.
What about the rest of hte class. Can you think of a way to bring the Priest up to par? How many spells should hte priest have access to overall?
It seems a bit... empty... I like class features very much, even if they grant minimal benefits. Your class has 19 dead levels... I know they're not properly dead, becaus of the new spells and the caster level increase, but imho some class features are to be granted. Though, i have no suggestions at the moment...

Sylrae

First Post
Sorry didn't read. Where is that written precisely?
It wasnt in this thread, but I thought it would clarify.
I did notice, and i don't like it? I suppose you made it that way only to give a third attack, but to make the priest not as combat-skilled as the cleric. Then i suggest you make the progression 1/2 level, as the wizard.
I dont think 3 BAB types is enough, I've upped it to 6 (and am reassigning BAB types to all the base classes) so The priest isnt just going to be weird. I've also made a middle Save table (as opposed to just good and bad). The Barbarian will (when I'm done with it) have a BAB of 9/8, for example, and My class, the Adventurer, has a BAB of 7/8, which is likely what the battle priest will have. The Roge will stay at the 6/8 (3/4), the Wizard at 4/8, the Sorcerer adjusted to 5/8, the Fighter will stay at 1, the Ranger will stay at 1, etc.
It seems a bit... empty... I like class features very much, even if they grant minimal benefits. Your class has 19 dead levels... I know they're not properly dead, becaus of the new spells and the caster level increase, but imho some class features are to be granted. Though, i have no suggestions at the moment...
I'm aware of this. The class is far from finished. I was asking what to fill the levels with. lol.

Mayhaps the religious abilities (IE Turn Undead) you could get more than one of that type of ability?

Last edited:

Remove ads