• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Priest

StormingMarcus

First Post
I dont think 3 BAB types is enough, I've upped it to 6 (and am reassigning BAB types to all the base classes). I've also made a middle Save table.
Do you know they are only more numbers to remembre for the players? Imho they do not grant any improvement to the game. Also, when multiclassing, the normal progressions are already f***ed up; your progressions will be more f***ed up than usual...
If you are going to keep many thin-focused classes, you should differentiate them by class abilities, not by adding more progressions that would be quite painful to remember/use.
Mayhaps the religious abilities (IE Turn Undead) you could get more than one of that type of ability?
Some power linked to the spheres, maybe... With all the goodiness represented by spells, it's hard to add something balanced. I personally like lowmagic settings, so my hypothetical priests would have some BardicMusic-like buff, some luck-themed bonuses and so on... Obviously less spells...

Kerrick

First Post
Do you know they are only more numbers to remembre for the players? Imho they do not grant any improvement to the game. Also, when multiclassing, the normal progressions are already f***ed up; your progressions will be more f***ed up than usual...
We're getting off-topic, but I agree - three progressions is plenty. And 9/8? High AB already increases much faster than AC; barbarians will be able to hit just about anything by L15.

What kind of middle save are you using, anyway? I've tried working on a middle save, and I couldn't come up with anything that worked properly. I ended up bumping the low save to 4/10 instead of 1/3, which works great.

If you are going to keep many thin-focused classes, you should differentiate them by class abilities, not by adding more progressions that would be quite painful to remember/use.
Again, agreed.

Sylrae

First Post
BAB Progression: You dont get the wacky multiclassing progressions if you use the Fractional BAB variant in UA. (which is why each class I write up in the end includes the fraction.) The listing in the table is just there to make it easier for single class characters. for a multiclass character, you add the fractions, and then round down.

The 9/8 might be a bit too big, I was considering just using the 5 (4/8 5/8 6/8 7/8 8/8). But I definitely like having something between wizard and rogue, and between rogue and fighter.

What is it you guys think is so bad about that anyways?

As for saves, I just worked out the formula for what the saves were. If you know how its made, you can easily make new types (its a fraction + a constant, instead of just a fraction like bab is)
Bad Saves are 0+1/3(4/12) per level
Good Saves are 2 + 1/2(6/12) per level

Medium Saves are 1+5/12 per level (exactly half-way in the middle)

I definitely am not a fan of 4/10, but I just think it doesnt fit the existing schema well. Its a good approximation though.

The only thing thats a bitch, is knowing this means you can eliminate wacky BAB progression i multiclassing by continuing good saves the regular way, and by continuing bad saves the regular way,and medium saves the regular way, but I dont know how to deal with that stupid constant for when they multiclass.

I have a solution, but its only viable if you have a calculator or pc when you level up.
Add your levels with the save as BAD = A
Add levels with save as Medium = B
Add levels with save as Good = C
(0A+1B+2C)/(A+B+C)

Wiz 5, adventurer 5 Fighter 5
0 +5 +10 /15
15/15

Wiz 3 Adv 4 Fighter 8
0 + 4 + 16 /15
20/15
1.3~

I agree that they need unique abilities, but whats wrong with 2 more BAB Types (9/8 is out the window) and a Save type?They arent that complicated. Add the fraction, round down..

If you want to eliminate the static bonuses stacking to saves from multiclassing, thats more complicated, but I still figured out a way to do it. and thats only if you want to avoid having those static bonuses stack.

But If youre just looking at the tables and adding values you get wacky numbers because youre rounding funny, or adding the same standardized constant more often than you should be. They really should have included this stuff in the DMG, but I had to reverse engineer the formulae. lol.

Last edited:

Sylrae

First Post
and back on topic, what do you suggest for fixing spells, and what do you suggest for class features. Turn undead needs to be an option (but not available to clerics with all domains.

Also, I'm not using spheres, just to clarify. Domains. domains also have a fixed number of spells (which we may need to expand, but still keep the number standard for all of the domains.)

Kerrick

First Post
I could toss out a bunch of random stuff, but there's a good chance it won't be what the player needs (i.e., he'll choose something that didn't get covered). I've come up with some things for my cleric...

Banish outsider (as turn undead), bardic knowledge, death touch (as the Death domain ability), good fortune (from Luck), healing burst (already listed in the cleric thread), rage (as barbarian), and strength of the earth (as the Strength domain). Obviously, I didn't take a whole lot of time on it - that was just a quickie preliminary list.

As for spells... there's a thread in House Rules about the Templar. The guy's adding at least one offensive spell per level (mostly alignment-based) and wants to customize them by Order, rather than domain. It Might be worth a look.

Sylrae

First Post
Maybe. I'm not in such a rush anymore though. he decided to go with the similar themed class, the Archivist. It fits his character concept better anyways.

He wants to play the weakest variant of angel, the Grigori (Anger of Angels, Malhavoc Press) which I adjusted slightly and broke down into a racial class so he can play it at level 1. It doesnt get wings, only has 2 racial HD, and doesnt have gamebreaking wacky abilities. I used an ECL calculator with the individual features. I also determined the LA was too high in the book (via same calculator) made a small weakening adjustment (DR3 instead of 5) and dropped the LA to +2(for a total ECL of 4).

I'm limiting player races, so whether or not he can play a grigori depends on what the other players pick. (I'm requiring a certain number of 'normal'ish raced characters). If he can't play that he wants to play an Elven Archivist. So the Priest is not in a hurry so far. nobody else is wanting to play one for this weekend. ^-^.

Last edited:

Remove ads