• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Psionicle, Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Syld
"And you're willing to take that risk? From what I've seen, you're not that great a spellcaster. Are you truely willing to give your life so some other of your kind can collect the fruits of your labor?"

Jirlai is silent.

Meanwhile, Tori'shel speaks up. "As opposed as we may be, I understand him. We all have the same cause - to win. To overcome the others, to be the last standing. To me, technology is overly important. If my sacrifice would lead to the death of psionics... then so be it."

Jirlai looks up, evidently torn.

"It cannot be avoided. There is no other way. In the end, there can be but one force. How we come out on top doesn't matter. All that matters is that magic survives."

-----

Jansson
"Lady Jhessail." Jansson bows as he addresses the priestess. "I think a guard on the temple would be wise. We have three artifacts of power within its walls, and the Illithid have attacked us once already."

Jhessail snaps suddenly out of her silence as you address her. She listens closely to the halfling as he speaks.

"Three artifactsss? An earlier illithid attack? Why were we not told of thisss? Who currently holdsss the artifactsss that you posssesss?"

OOC:
OOC: I don't recall anyone saying that they took the Staff. I could have missed it, but I believe that it is still in one of the carriages.

Creamsteak

Explorer
GnomeWorks said:
OOC:
OOC: I don't recall anyone saying that they took the Staff. I could have missed it, but I believe that it is still in one of the carriages.

I was thinking I was suppossed to take care of it. I think I stated that in the OOC, not the IC. If you rule I never had it... then I'm pretty fricken sure it's still in the cariage, and I personally don't see why our characters would have left it there, we are not that slow of mind.

Though I do know a certain person that could have picked it up...

/me glares at gnomeworks :D

Jarval

Explorer
GnomeWorks said:
"Three artifactsss? An earlier illithid attack? Why were we not told of thisss? Who currently holdsss the artifactsss that you posssesss?"

"I'm sorry m'lady. It slipped my mind after the fight. You have the Eye, my friend Nathan carries a telepathic gem, and Animus has an illithid staff of some considerable power." Jansson pauses a moment to catch his breath. "We were attacked by an illithid tainted human, who disguised himself as a coachman for one of the carriages on which we arrived. He killed the other coachman, and brought myself and one of my companions close to death."

GnomeWorks said:
OOC:

I'm pretty sure Animus has it, but I could be wrong. I'll edit my IC bit above if I am.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Jarval said:
I'm pretty sure Animus has it, but I could be wrong. I'll edit my IC bit above if I am.

OOC:
OOC: Two people have said that Animus has it - I must have, at some point, missed that.

In that case, then, Animus has the Staff of Ancient Penumbra.

Last edited:

Dalamar

Adventurer
Syld frowns at the two obviously suicidal prisoners.
"Why? Why does psionics have to die? Yes, I know I'm biased on this topic, but still."

Syld pauses for a moment to gather his thoughs.
"Why can't the forces work together? You two worked together. There is a sorcerer among our group and we had a technologist."
Anger burns briefly in Syld's eyes as he says this.
"The forces can work together. So why do you want the others destroyed?"

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Syld
"Why? Why does psionics have to die? Yes, I know I'm biased on this topic, but still."

"Because it must." Jirlai says. "Magic must be supreme. You know of how the forces react to each other. We want magic to be freed. We want to unravel all the rules that we are forced to obey. Psionics and technology utilize those rules, although each uses them differently. If those two forces yet survive, then our goal can never be accomplished."

Syld
"Why can't the forces work together? You two worked together. There is a sorcerer among our group and we had a technologist. ...The forces can work together. So why do you want the others destroyed?"

"Because they are inherently opposing." Jirlai says, shaking his head. "Technology uses natural law to accomplish its' goals... psionics uses loopholes in natural laws to accomplish its' goals... and magic breaks natural laws to accomplish its' goals. No matter how you slice it, they can never truly work together. There may be an appearance of frendliness, as there was during the War of the Illusionist*... but we both know of the Great War* that happened shortly thereafter. The forces can never co-exist for long."

"As to how you managed to have a sorcerer in your group, as well as a technologist, I do not know. Tori'shel and I work together for the sole purpose of destroying psionics. Once that goal is accomplished, we will go our seperate ways." Jirlai says.

Tori'shel nods in agreement.

"As to why we want the others destroyed... I believe I addressed that earlier." Jirlai says. "I want magic to rule the world. I want to unravel reality, make everything a possibility. However, with psionics and technology yet surviving, this goal can never be realized."

*The War of the Illusionist happened roughly 300 years ago, when a magic-user by the name of Kotrit Wayveri began assembling an army of undead to conquer the country of Ashk. The three forces, led by the archmage Kalrios Dilark, joined together in the city of Sharylik, and together defeated the forces of the Illusionist and killed him after a single year - but not before he shattered the force of psionics into the gems of the earth. Psionics was restored 46 years later.

The Great War happened shortly after War of the Illusionist, when - somehow - an entire army of mechanics that was massed outside of Sharylik was destroyed. Believing that the mages had done this deed, those of technology began hunting down magic-users and killing them. This led to war, one that lasted for 26 years.

Last edited:

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Jansson
"I'm sorry m'lady. It slipped my mind after the fight. You have the Eye, my friend Nathan carries a telepathic gem, and Animus has an illithid staff of some considerable power. ...We were attacked by an illithid tainted human, who disguised himself as a coachman for one of the carriages on which we arrived. He killed the other coachman, and brought myself and one of my companions close to death."

Jhessail nods. "You ssshould have told usss of thisss... but now isss not the time to dissscusss that. Ssseek your friend Animusss, and bring him here. I will find guardsss to ssstand at the entranssse to the temple. We will keep the artifactsss here."

With that, she leaves quickly, heading for the village.

Jarval

Explorer
Jansson heads out into the village, looking for Animus.

"Animus! We need to get the Staff to the temple. We fear the illithid may attack again."

Creamsteak

Explorer
Jarval said:
Jansson heads out into the village, looking for Animus.

"Animus! We need to get the Staff to the temple. We fear the illithid may attack again."

Animus finishes his last attempt to successfully tumble all the way around the temple and sees Jansson running after him.

"Alright then."

He nods, and follows Jansson.

Dalamar

Adventurer
Syld shakes his head.
"It would seem I can't make you change your mind. Then to another interesting topic: how did you get one of the gith to your side? As far as I know, they're a psionic race."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads