• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Rod of Seven Parts Original Recruitment

Kularian

First Post
All righty. Worked out the details whilst at work today, so now I present: My bard!

Kularian Arieus
Chaotic Good
22 years old
Human Bard

Str: 10
Dex: 14
Con: 12
Int: 14
Wis: 12
Cha: 16

Kularian was born to a fairly wealthy merchant in Edaesmyd. His father, Blake Arieus, made a living buying and selling whatever he could get his hands on. At first, the business was run more like a pawn shop, but as word of his ability grew, so did the amount of customers the Arieus family received. Blake was known to be terribly charismatic and a very compelling salesman. Because of his gifts, the fame of the store grew until it became several different stores, each one run by someone that Blake personally approved of.

Blake wasn't married, but often fooled around. However, one of his flings got the girl pregnant, and she died during the birth. Since it was known that Blake was the father, the child was entrusted to him. At first, the man didn't really like the boy, but eventually the thought of having a successor began to hold some root in his mind, and he began bringing up the boy to do just that. Naming his son at the age of six, (who had previously been called 'boy',) began the start of Kularian's learning process.

As Kular grew, it became quickly apparent that he had inherited both Blake's charm and head for business. Learning from his father, Kularian became able to talk circles around others his age, and often make spare money off of them. Once, he bet his friends that he'd sneak into a house reputed to be haunted, and bring something out. With nothing more than his glib tongue and a candlestick from home, he created an entire story about going in and seeing ghosts. Awed, his friends each believed him, and gave him their bet.

Around the age of fourteen, a wandering bard came into the store. The bard parted with his lute, as he needed money to eat, and that sort of living wasn't working for him anymore. Kularian, interested in the instrument, bought it from his father (who wouldn't give it to him for free,) and began to practice on his own time. He quickly learned the instrument, and used his talents to woo young females with both song and voice.

When Kularian turned seventeen, his father told him that soon Kular would be running the family business. At first, Kularian was pleased, but as time went on, he began to realize more and more what that meant, and knew that it wasn't a life for him. His was one of adventure, friendship, and other such things that bards spoke of in their stories. He wanted to use his silk tongue to fool monsters and town guards, not customers. Thus one night, he left under the cover of darkness, fleeing Edaesmyd.

He signed up to help on a merchant vessel, acting as an entertainer for the rest of the crew, and occasionally a pair of hands if needed. But a few years at sea started to wear away at his voice, and the young man decided against staying aboard the ship. With nowhere to return save his homeland, he went back, though he didn't want to. However, when he returned, he found that his father had died, and the business had fallen apart, leaving him with nothing to his name.

After wandering for another year, Kularian found regular employment at the Wilted Rose, who gave him room and board in addition to a bit of money for his performances each night. But the young man quickly found a way to spend that money at The Golden Cockatrice. Over the last year, he's become a regular, and has had some good luck, but nothing major. Though he has a comfortable life, he's beginning to grow weary of it, and has thought time and again about leaving to find adventure once more.

Possible feats:
Negotiator
Persuasive
Skill Focus: Perform (Oratory)
Weapon Finesse

Interesting quirk: Left-handed

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Is there room for one more? I'm thinking a Kobold Paladin of Bahamut.

Name: Pilgrim
Class: Paladin
Race: Kobold
Alignment: Lawful good
Deity: Bahamut
Height: 3’0”
Weight: 35 pounds
Eyes: Red/gold
Hair: none
Skin: reddish scales

Ability Scores: Str: 8/Dex: 16/Con: 10/Int: 14/Wis: 14/Cha: 14
HP: 10 (1d10)
AC: 18 (+3 Dex, +1 Natural, +1 size small, +2 Leather Armor, +1 Buckler)
Init: +3 (+3 Dex)
BAB: +1
Saves: Fort: +2/Ref: +3/Will: +2
Move: 30’
Weight Allowance: Light 19, Medium 39, Heavy 60, Pull 300, Lift 120.

Attacks: Spear, Short +1 to hit. 1d6-1 damage (Thrown +5 to hit 1d6-1 damage)

Racial Abilities:
Kobold characters possess the following racial traits.
l –4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, –2 Constitution.
l Small size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls,
+4 bonus on Hide checks, –4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting
and carrying limits 3/4 those of Medium characters.
l A kobold’s base land speed is 30 feet.
l Darkvision out to 60 feet.
l Racial Skills: A kobold character has a +2 racial bonus on Craft
(trapmaking), Profession (miner), and Search checks.
l Racial Feats: A kobold character gains feats according to its
character class.
l +1 natural armor bonus.
l Special Qualities (see above): Light sensitivity.
l Automatic Languages: Draconic. Bonus Languages: Common,
Undercommon.
l Favored Class: Sorcerer.
l Level adjustment +0.

Class Abilities: Detect Evil, Smite Evil, Aura of good.

Spells Per Day: None
Spells Known: None

Feats: Dragon Friend

Skills: (Ability + Ranks + Misc.)
Hide +7 (+3 Dex, +4 Size)
Move Silently +3 (+3 Dex)
Listen +2 (+2 Wis)
Search +4 (+2 Int, +2 Racial)
Spot +2 (+2 Wis)
Jump -1 (-1 Str)
Climb -1 (-1 Str)
Swim -1 (-1 Str)
Craft Trapmaking +4 (+2 Wis, +2 Racial)
Profession Miner: +4 (+2 Wis, +2 Racial
Diplomacy +6 (4 ranks, +2 Cha)
Ride +7 (4 ranks, +3 Dex)
Knowledge Dragons +6 (4 ranks, +2 Int)
Knowledge Religion +6 (4 ranks, +2 Int)

Languages: Draconic, Common, Undercommon, Goblin.

Gear: (Total weight: w) [cost in GP/Weight in Lbs]
I'll decide if I am chosen.

Physical Description:
Pilgrim is big for his people. His scales are a red/brown hue with a streak of gold down his back and snout. His warm red/gold eyes are wise even for an elf.

Personality:
Warm and just He strives to be everything a true noble dragon is. Deep down he has a major inferiority complex knowing he can never truly match his ideal of dragon kind.

History: The absolute opposite of all other Kobolds and with good reason. He was abandoned as an infant when his tribe wandered into the caverns that were home to a fledgling Gold Dragon. Tassomyre (The Dragon) being disinclined to share his home, eat the invaders totally missing the infant until it crawled up to the sleeping drake and started crying from hunger. Taking pity on the babe Tassomyre decided it would be great fun to raise the kobold as his personal protector/servent.

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
CB, I updated my original post with my PC submission for your game. Just wanted to give you a head's up so you could take a gander.

Well. Some days you just never know what God will toss at you. I had something pretty major come my way today and not in a good way, but it looks like maybe the worst is over for now. Thought I'd catch my breath and de-stress by answering a few of your questions.

Druid wildshape. I want to play that as described in the 3.5 PHB, which states that the ability functions like polymorph but then it lists a few differences. So...yeah...like polymorph, not like alternate form. Let me know if there are still specific questions regarding wildshape.

Regarding Phud, there's nothing wrong with him weighing 400 lbs. I personally would say that a 400# guy who is 6'10" is on the fat side of that height, but, again, his name is Phud after all. :) If you wanted a more muscular character with more brawn than pudge, I would go with 325 to 350 lbs. But, again, it's kosher either way.

Strahd, did you give yourself extra point buy points when you reduced your Charisma to 4? I'm having trouble making your ability score buy add up to 32.

pallandrome, it's nice to see someone picking a language from the homebrew choices. Thank you for correcting your ability scores. I saw that this morning but had to let it go because it was way too early and I couldn't be sure I was thinking straight, plus I was on a mad dash to get out of the house on time. And, big as he is, I'm pretty sure Phud has more diginity than to be taught to sick, sit, stay, fetch, and attack. ;) Though Tailspinner will correct me if I'm wrong...

Malvoisin, what I have is just the alphabets for all my homebrew languages and the PHB languages. I don't, however, have a lexicon. You should therefore feel free to make up whatever orcish words you like for your character.

hafrogman, that is indeed a very considerate background. You seem to be playing with words lately. "That night, I dreamed." and "I am not that son." That's prime use of brief interjection for dramatic differentiation and highlight. What domains are you leaning toward taking?

Comments for Rhun, Argent Silvermage, and Kularian forthcoming...time for me to eat a late supper and attend to some household chores. I'll return in a couple hours, though.

Thanks, you guys.

OK, I updated Gamad with Equipment and Spells.
I think I'm done ...

As for the ability scores, Yep I "took back" 2 points when I lowered the Charisma to 6 (-2 to charisma for dwarves = total of 4)

hafrogman

Adventurer
CanadienneBacon said:
hafrogman, that is indeed a very considerate background. You seem to be playing with words lately. "That night, I dreamed." and "I am not that son." That's prime use of brief interjection for dramatic differentiation and highlight. What domains are you leaning toward taking?

Geez, I'm used to DMs going over my character sheets, but I think this is the first time my background has invited literary critique :cool:

Please see posts 59-62 where pallandrome and I discuss our respective majors while I go do some math. . .

The madness domain is certainly and interesting one, but I'm still not sure it would fit that well with how I envision the character, currently looking at Knowledge and Fate. I'll work on getting more detail into the submittal back in post 55.

Shayuri

First Post
Arg. Many thanks, CB, for answering my question. For some reason though, my ideas just don't seem to be coming together. And since you have plenty of great applicants I see no need to try to force it. Instead I shall gracefully bow out of this one, and wish you all the best of gaming.

Catch ya next time!

pallandrome

First Post
Yeah, I sorta write for a living, so this is the first time I've ever tried to do it for FUN (not that I don't love my work mind you). On the downside, this means I'll be putting togeather my background in between periods of writing in a different genre. So be gentle...

Remove ads