• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Romance of the River Kingdoms

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
So. How much does one yen weight? Or probably easier how many yens weight 1 lb? since 50 coins weight 1 lb do we use that? But if it's Glass Yen, I guess it's made of glass? Something like marble? That would weight much less I think? Or am I getting to too detailed?

EDIT: Ah. And I noticed you said earlier there's banking. Would that mean paper money? Or at least letter's of credit that can be changed to money in banks. It's just that I'm lugging around 1000+ yens. They are possibly very heavy.

Last edited:

hafrogman

Adventurer
Dr Simon said:
240gp (from 4d6x10).

(Or, in Conclave terms, 24,000 yen)
Dr Simon said:
Well, I actually tracked that down from a Living Greyhawk site; since it was for 3.5 Ed. and it said 'maximum starting gold' I *think* it's correct, but it may turn out to be otherwise!
It's right, except I'm fairly sure it's 6d4x10, same maximum though.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Blackrat said:
So. How much does one yen weight? Or probably easier how many yens weight 1 lb? since 50 coins weight 1 lb do we use that? But if it's Glass Yen, I guess it's made of glass? Something like marble? That would weight much less I think? Or am I getting to too detailed?

EDIT: Ah. And I noticed you said earlier there's banking. Would that mean paper money? Or at least letter's of credit that can be changed to money in banks. It's just that I'm lugging around 1000+ yens. They are possibly very heavy.

There would be credit notes, mainly for millions of yen transactions between the Merchant Houses rather than day to day payment.

There are also different denomination yen coins, so you could just be carrying five 200s.

I would guesstimate that a single coin probably weighs half as much as a metal coin, so 100 of them to 1lb. But you can usually change currency to the most convenient size denomination, so it's probably not worth worrying about the encumbrance of cash unless it's a big treasure haul.

From the website:

Money
The most common form of money in the Empire of Splendour is the yen. This is a representative coinage made from glass. Trade secrets of the Guild of Glassblowers impart tiny embedded images in each coin, which are tear-shaped with a hole in the tapered end for fitting to a purse string. Denominations of coins are shown by the colour of the glass and the image within. 1 yen = green, 20 yen = red, 100 yen = blue, 200 yen = silver and 1000 yen = gold.

Different nations produce their own yen. The 'standard' is now the Merchants League yen, minted in Llaza. Imperial yen have devalued somewhat but are still common. Smaller nations like Oksa, Nirhamsa and Kronlordan also mint their own yen, but League coins have the strongest economy behind them.

One yen is roughly equivalent in buying power to one copper piece. Across the lands, different goods have different values, and different yen have different buying powers but the simplest method is to convert values as given below.

* 1 copper piece = 1 yen
* 1 silver piece = 10 yen
* 1 gold piece = 100 yen
* 1 platinum piece = 1000 yen

The Rolling Man

First Post
My basic idea for my Salsham'ai is that he grew up in Little Thalsa in the port city of Llaza. He always like to go down to the dock area and speak to the travelers about distant lands. The docks were a more dangerous area than the beloved treetop of Little Thalsa but all the wonderful stories made it worth it. Eventually, wanderlust took over and he started to travel the lands. He visited, amongst other things, little colonies of his own people. In one such colony, near the town of Cormondal, the treefolk had trouble with local farmers who had started to excessively hunt game, gather fruit and mushroom and cut lumber in their forest. This was caused by a drought (or flood ... I'm not sure what kind of region this is) that destroyed most of the farmers' crop. Being familiar with human culture, he helped the local Vashti come up with a peaceful trade and cooperation agreement between the two groups. Impressed with his talents, the Vashti invited him to stay in Cormondal and help her with her good works. He did so for a while before wanderlust took him again and he left to explore other regions.

Also, could you give us a few more details on your shaman class ? I might go that way since we're gonna have another druid in the group. Or maybe I could play a variant bard with some druid powers as presented in the SRD (but you lose bardic knowledge and all the inspire something).

Edit: I just realized that my draft of a background works pretty well with Dirt's. Funny thing, I wasn't even trying to do that.

Last edited:

Dr Simon

Explorer
The Rolling Man said:
This was caused by a drought (or flood ... I'm not sure what kind of region this is) that destroyed most of the farmers' crop.

A flood works better, and meshes with some of the adventure background...

The Rolling Man said:
Also, could you give us a few more details on your shaman class ? I might go that way since we're gonna have another druid in the group. Or maybe I could play a variant bard with some druid powers as presented in the SRD (but you lose bardic knowledge and all the inspire something).

Conclave Shaman: d6 HD, 3/4 BAB, Good Will Save, 4 skill pts per level, Skill list essentially merge of Druid and Ranger.

(Looking at the skill lists, it makes more sense to be the same as Druid, plus Knowledge (Spirits))

Spells per day as Druid, but uses spontaneous casting. For spells known you select Domain lists - each one represents the powers of a spirit that you are familiar with. You get 'Spirit' Domain (I'll need to list the spells seperately) plus three others of your choice. You get to select one of the associated Domain powers as well. As you gain levels you gain new Domains and Domain Powers, plus get the chance to swap them around. There's an ability to gain saving throw bonuses against spirit powers that kicks in at 4th or 5th level.

Added Later:

Spirit Domain (free to Shamans, available to Clerics for a shamanic-flavoured cleric).
Domain Power - +2 Diplomacy checks with creatures with the Spirit descriptor. Free proficiency in Speak Spirit Speech.

1-Detect Spirits*
2-Protection From Spirits*
3-Magic Circle Against Spirits*
4-Dismissal
5-Commune (with Spirits)**
6-Forbiddance*
7-Ethereal Jaunt
8-Etherealness
9-Astral Projection

*These works as Det./Prot from Evil etc. except that they work specifically against creatures with the Spirit descriptor
**As Commune, but the caster is communing with powerful spirits rather than a deity. In Conclave, there's little difference.

Extra domain (spirit ally) at 4th, 8th, 12, 16, and 20th level.
Extra domain power from domains known at 5th, 10th, 15th and 20th level.
May swap domains (but not if domain power is taken) at 8th, 12th, 16th and 20th level.
Animal Companion at 3rd level.
Spirit Defence at 10th level - +2 bonus to all saving throws against the Ex, Su and Sp powers of spirit creatures. At 15th level this can extend to all allies within 30 ft. At 20th level the bonus increases to +4.

Note that Domains may also be selected from the additional domains and Domain wizard variant. In the latter case they count as divine magic.

Last edited:

A Passing Maniac

First Post
Apologies for the lack of updates from me; I rather suddenly realized yesterday that I had midterms this week, which has, I hope you understand, delayed my character creation! But here is a preliminary character sheet for my character, Ying; his background should hopefully be added soon.

Well... soonish, at any rate. Biological anthropology demands my attention currently. :p

[sblock=Ying Taramaya]
Code:
Name: Ying Taramaya (Raven in the Starry Heavens)
Class: Bard
Race: Human (Ashara)
Size: Medium
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 150
Eyes: Dark brown
Hair: Black, very short
Skin: Coffee

Str: 10 (+0)
Dex: 14 (+2)
Con: 10 (+0)
Int: 14 (+2)
Wis: 10 (+0)
Cha: 16 (+3)

Level: 1        XP: 0
BAB: 0          HP: 17 (1d6+0+10+1)
Grapple: 0      Dmg Red: None
Speed: 20       Spell Res: None
Init: 2         
ACP: -1         

Base  Armor  Shld  Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total
Armor:              10     3      0    2                      15
Touch: 12              Flatfooted: 13

Base   Mod  Misc  Total
Fort:                      0     0           0
Ref:                       2     2           4
Will:                      2     0           2

Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical    Range
Longsword                 0       1d8       19-20/x2
Shortbow                  2       1d6       x3          60

Languages: 

Abilities:
Bardic Music 1/day (countersong, fascinate, inspire courage +1), Bardic Knowledge

Feats:
Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot

Skills: Points: (6+3)x4=36
Max Ranks: 4/2         Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total
Bluff                    4     3           7
Decipher Script          4     2           6
Diplomacy                4     3           7
Hide                     4     2    -1     5
Knowledge (history)      2     2           4
Knowledge (nob. & roy.)  2     2           4
Knowledge (religion)     2     2           4
Listen                   4     0           4
Move Silently            4     2    -1     5
Perform (wind inst.)     4     3           7
Sense Motive             3     0           3

Equipment:         Cost (Y)   Weight
Longsword             1500        4
Shortbow              3000        2
Arrows, 40             200        6
Studded leather       2500       20
Backpack               200        2
Bedroll                 10        5
Hooded lantern         700        2
Oil, 3 flasks           30        3
Traveler's outfit       --        5
Vormonshan             500        3
Waterskin              100        4

Total Weight: 56 / 66 lb (medium)
Money: 7260 yen
[/sblock]

Dr Simon

Explorer
hafrogman said:
Here's a draft of Dirt. I went skimpy on equipment, as it just didn't make much sense for him to have more, or a supply of cash.

Looks good to me. You have one more hit point, as you also get one per level.

Dr Simon

Explorer
A Passing Maniac said:
Apologies for the lack of updates from me; I rather suddenly realized yesterday that I had midterms this week, which has, I hope you understand, delayed my character creation! But here is a preliminary character sheet for my character, Ying; his background should hopefully be added soon.

Well... soonish, at any rate. Biological anthropology demands my attention currently. :p

No problem. Looks fine to me, don't forget his spells!

Remove ads