• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Scrying Pool

The_Universe

First Post
You can add the powers of one item to another, but the cost goes up - an explanation can be found in the DMG (or SRD) under "creating magic items."

Laurel

First Post
The_Universe said:
You can add the powers of one item to another, but the cost goes up - an explanation can be found in the DMG (or SRD) under "creating magic items."
Correct! It goes up by 50% or by taking the price and multiplying it by 1.5

Here's what I did for L'Aurel's increase::
From a previous post: "So I added +4 to her headpiece as would a periapt of wisdom. Original cost 16,000gp so headpiece x1.5= 24,000. They go up to a +6, but that's around 54,000gp to get into the headpiece."

It's taking a periapt of wisdom (necklace) +4 cost 16,000 gp and making it a head piece (head slot) instead. Reason for the 1.5 increase in price.

SRD said:
Body Slot-------------------------------------------Affinity
Headband, helmet-----------------------------------Mental improvement, ranged attacks
Amulet, brooch, medallion, necklace, periapt, scarab--Protection, Discernment
SRD said:
Wondrous items that don’t match the affinity for a particular body slot should cost 50% more than wondrous items that match the affinity.

Since wisdom is not a mental improvment (discernment instead I think) this makes it 16,000gp x1.5=24,000gp for final cost.

If I were adding the wisdom bonus to an already magical Headpiece that price would be x1.5 again. For a grand total of 36,000gp. (but I'm not doing this, since before this I didn't have that much gold)

Either having it in a different slot or having it added to another magical item would increase the cost sperately by 50%.

I remember going over this long ago with Gertie on the boards (her explaining it to us) and as Kennon stated it's all in the SRD.

Any other questions?

The_Universe

First Post
Laurel said:
Correct! It goes up by 50% or by taking the price and multiplying it by 1.5

Here's what I did for L'Aurel's increase::
From a previous post: "So I added +4 to her headpiece as would a periapt of wisdom. Original cost 16,000gp so headpiece x1.5= 24,000. They go up to a +6, but that's around 54,000gp to get into the headpiece."

It's taking a periapt of wisdom (necklace) +4 cost 16,000 gp and making it a head piece (head slot) instead. Reason for the 1.5 increase in price.

Since wisdom is not a mental improvment (discernment instead I think) this makes it 16,000gp x1.5=24,000gp for final cost.

If I were adding the wisdom bonus to an already magical Headpiece that price would be x1.5 again. For a grand total of 36,000gp. (but I'm not doing this, since before this I didn't have that much gold)

Either having it in a different slot or having it added to another magical item would increase the cost sperately by 50%.

I remember going over this long ago with Gertie on the boards (her explaining it to us) and as Kennon stated it's all in the SRD.

Any other questions?
Nope. Not a one!

The_Universe said:
In the second success:

Three weeks later, you make contact again. This time, Darkson is not alone. Rough, capable-looking men surround him, each wearing the uniform of a member of the Army of the East. He carries a torch in one hand and a captain's sabre in the other. It is dark, dusty - the men have cobwebs draped over their shoulders; it is as if they had donned pauldrons only to have them turn to dust.

No sunlight shines here - they are either deep within an above ground structure, or beneath one: the ground is steady beneath their feet.

You follow them for a few moments, as they step gingerly through the ancient labyrinth. They pause, and Darkson draws closer to something. Out of the fog, a bronze urn glitters in the torch light: beneath it, balances a golden breastplate. Above it, a sword not unlike your own. He reaches for the sword, but pauses. He turns, facing your unseen sensor: he shouts something, you cannot hear what. Suddenly, the view goes dark.

Do I recognize any of these things? The urn? The breastplate?

Assuming L'Aurel will come with her, Justice would want to know if Darkson had walked the shadowpath...

The_Universe

First Post
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
Do I recognize any of these things? The urn? The breastplate?

Assuming L'Aurel will come with her, Justice would want to know if Darkson had walked the shadowpath...
It's hard to tell - if he has, he hides it well.

You've never seen any of the other items personally...but there are similar likenesses in old books, etc.

It looks like the regalia of Quarion the Great.

Last edited:

The_Universe said:
It's hard to tell - if he has, he hides it well.

You've never seen any of the other items personally...but there are similar likenesses in old books, etc.

It looks like the regalia of Quarion the Great.
There's no way to tell where he is?

Can I tell what the men around him are? Are they living or unliving?

Remove ads