• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Seas of Blood (a piritical game) - Full

Phoenix

First Post
Bront said:
But his effective druid level with a higher level companion is lower.

There's a thread on this somewhere (I had someone ask me in my campaign about this specific use of the ability), but obviously, as the GM, you can rule how you wish. Basicly, it all comes down to where you calculate effective druid level.

I'm going with the big AS here...

With the Feat:
- A drd5/fgt10 would have a Drd8 companion
- A druid5/fighter3 would have a Drd8 Animal Companion
- A Drd5/Fgt1 would have a Drd6 Companion
- A Drd8 would still have a Drd8 Companion

IcyCool

First Post
To clarify on the Druid companion thing (though it sounds like Phoenix has made his ruling):

A druid selecting a more powerful animal companion treats his Effective Druid Level as lower than his actual druid level. For example, a 7th level druid wants a Dire Badger for an animal companion. For purposes of determining what benefits it gets, his effective druid level is 3 levels lower, or 4th level. This feat adds to that effective druid level, to a maximum of his character level. So in the example, he would have an effective druid level of 7 for purposes of determining the bonuses his animal companion gets.

Does that make more sense?

Phoenix

First Post
IcyCool said:
To clarify on the Druid companion thing (though it sounds like Phoenix has made his ruling):

A druid selecting a more powerful animal companion treats his Effective Druid Level as lower than his actual druid level. For example, a 7th level druid wants a Dire Badger for an animal companion. For purposes of determining what benefits it gets, his effective druid level is 3 levels lower, or 4th level. This feat adds to that effective druid level, to a maximum of his character level. So in the example, he would have an effective druid level of 7 for purposes of determining the bonuses his animal companion gets.

Does that make more sense?

The big question is though, which modifier is applied first? Does it matter? And where the hell did the druid get the dinosaur from in the first place???

Ferrix

Explorer
Would the Scout class from Complete Adventurer be okay Phoenix?

Scout
[sblock]
HD: d8
BAB: Average (as rogue)
Saves: Good Reflex (as rogue)
Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Craft, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (dungeoneering), Knowledge (geography), Knowledge (nature), Listen, Move Silently, Ride, Search, Sense Motive, Speak Language, Spot, Survival, Swim, Tumble and Use Rope.
Skill Points: 8 + Int. Mod

Class Abilities for an 8th level scout:
- Skirmish (+2d6, +2 AC), when you move 10 or more feet in a round, any attack you make gains the listed bonus to damage (only creatures subject to critical hits are subject to this extra damage), and you gain a dodge bonus to AC.
- Trapfinding, as the rogue ability
- Battle Fortitude +1, grants the listed bonus as a competence bonus to Fortitude saves and Initiative.
- Uncanny Dodge, as the rogue ability of the same name.
- Fast Movement +10 ft.
- Trackless Step, as the druid ability of the same name
- Bonus Feats, every 4th level, selected from a smaller list.
- Evasion, as the rogue ability of the same name.
- Flawless Stride, able to move unimpeded through any sort of terrain that slows movement at normal speed and without impairment. Does not apply to magical terrain alterations or to swim/climb checks.
- Camouflage, as the ranger ability of the same name.
[/sblock]

Ferrix

Explorer
Phoenix said:
The big question is though, which modifier is applied first? Does it matter? And where the hell did the druid get the dinosaur from in the first place???

For most things, it's suggested that the most beneficial order of modifiers is the correct one. For example caster level follows that rule when relating to the Practiced Spellcaster feat which increases effective caster level but not beyond character level.

Thus a Fighter 4/Wizard 5 with Practiced Spellcaster (+4 effective caster level) and a ring of Arcane Might (+1 caster level) would cast the wizard spells he knows Fireball for example as a 10th level wizard (5 wizard +4 practiced spellcaster + 1 arcane might). That is despite it exceeding his character level which practiced spellcaster can't do.

What no dinosaurs in a pirate game? ;) Where are the ninjas?

Oh yeah, I figured I would throw out a different character concept since there is already a druid on the table.

IcyCool

First Post
I've got a couple of gear questions for Phoenix.

#1. Does the protection power of a Lyre of Building work on a ship?

#2. If the answer to #1 is yes, would you mind me having a Fiddle of Building rather than a Lyre?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Phoenix said:

If you rule that the -6 modifier to effective druid level for taking an alternative companion doesn't interact with the limit on effective druid level for Natural Bond, that's fine - I'll swap the feat for something else.

As for where she got the dinosaur - she's a savage from a lost prehistoric jungle island! Where else do dinosaurs come from? :)

-Hyp.

Phoenix

First Post
Ferrix said:
For most things, it's suggested that the most beneficial order of modifiers is the correct one. For example caster level follows that rule when relating to the Practiced Spellcaster feat which increases effective caster level but not beyond character level.

Thus a Fighter 4/Wizard 5 with Practiced Spellcaster (+4 effective caster level) and a ring of Arcane Might (+1 caster level) would cast the wizard spells he knows Fireball for example as a 10th level wizard (5 wizard +4 practiced spellcaster + 1 arcane might). That is despite it exceeding his character level which practiced spellcaster can't do.

What no dinosaurs in a pirate game? ;) Where are the ninjas?

Oh yeah, I figured I would throw out a different character concept since there is already a druid on the table.

Actually I have no problems with dinosaurs....just an animal companion dinosaur has always struck me as rather...difficult.... to find and train...

Scout is good, as long as the character is good

Phoenix

First Post
IcyCool said:
I've got a couple of gear questions for Phoenix.

#1. Does the protection power of a Lyre of Building work on a ship?

#2. If the answer to #1 is yes, would you mind me having a Fiddle of Building rather than a Lyre?

#1 - Yes.
#2 - No (I don't mind).

Phoenix

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
If you rule that the -6 modifier to effective druid level for taking an alternative companion doesn't interact with the limit on effective druid level for Natural Bond, that's fine - I'll swap the feat for something else.

As for where she got the dinosaur - she's a savage from a lost prehistoric jungle island! Where else do dinosaurs come from? :)

-Hyp.

Well, I'll go with whatever makes you happy Smurfy ;)

Remove ads