The Sea's Righteous Might

scout989

First Post
scout989 said:
Jaleph follows along nervously, aware of his lessened spell capacity. <I almost wish we could tackle this tomorrow,> he thinks. <But it'll be all right, with these people by my side- or perhaps in front of me?>
<Aw crap. I guess I'll be a little closer to danger than I realized!>
"I'm sorry to see you go, Ven, but good luck with your mission- and death to the orcs!"

reddist

First Post
You turn from the open end of the pipe and make your way back to the surface, pausing at the small pile of bodies you generated to make sure you had gathered all the clues and valuables you could find.

Once you reach the surface, you move as a group to the docks. After talking to the first befuddled watchman and making no progress, you get directions to the Captain of the Watch. You manage to convince him of possible trouble, but he dismisses any talk of an organized strike against the ships on his dock. Still, to placate you, he agrees to accompany you to the berth of the Lord Bingham’s Belle.

As you approach the Belle Ven and Kragor hang back a bit, keeping a watchful eye on the last known positions of the saboteur lookouts. They are able to pick out the silhouettes of the bored scouts against the light reflecting off the black water just moments before the saboteurs notice the gathering crowd approaching the Belle. Shouts erupt as they scramble to bring their crossbows to bear, and the Captain of the Guard swears loudly, bringing his whistle up to blast shrill notes that cut through the night, alerting all along the docks to the trouble.

Kragor and Ven let fly with the axes and knives they took from Kolchak’s harnesses, while Bran and Jaleph rapidly aim and fire crossbows. Marisa shouts words of encouragement, driving her companions and the guards to heightened vigilance. Two of the saboteurs fall from the wooden beams, one to an axe buried deep in his skull, the other a thrown knife driven through his hand and his chest sprouting two thick feathered bolts. One of the thugs has the courage to turn his crossbow from the shouting guards and take a careful aim at one of the ceramic flasks stuck to the side of the Belle. He fires, and his aim is true.

reddist

First Post
The explosion echoes across the water, percussion waves rocking the Belle and punching each of you in the chest. Thick jelly splatters across the sides of the Belle, burning white hot as it comes into contact with the cool night air. Even from the docks you can smell the burning pitch. The saboteur falls under a hail of bolts and the Captain blows a series of piercing whistles, pointing at one of his guards and ordering him to ring the brass bell for the Fire Brigade.

Over the next two hours you help the Brigade as best you can. Not only are you able to keep the fire from spreading to neighboring ships, you are even able to keep the Belle from sinking. The noise and commotion bring many of Swift Rock Bay’s citizens down to the docks to watch, and as you pull yourselves out from the soot and sweat-stained mass of Brigade volunteers and head back to the Clam Shell for a very well deserved rest, you are greeted by none other than Iggy Glenfannon…

reddist

First Post
“Say thankya! I shoulda known you woulda been here! Already you have proven your worth! Say thankya!”

As you relay the events of the evening to Iggy, his eyes grow wider and wider. At the mention of an organized plot by Hugo and his crew Iggy’s eyes narrow shrewdly, and he summons an aide from the crowd, whispering something to him and sending him off running. He turns and nods his head at you.

“Yes, yes, we should have expected something like this. There were rumors even this morning that Captain Nathanyl Hawkridge was still none too happy about Kestor and the Righteous Might getting our contract. I see now I should have been more direct with you, and I apologize.”

You notice Iggy wafts in and out of his “country bumpkin” persona, depending on his excitement and attention. When he gets down to business, his education and rhetoric show through…

“But in no less than a single night! For you to uncover this plot yourselves, and even put an end to it! Remarkable! I shall speak to Captain Kestor about bonuses for you all. Please, take your leave tomorrow and rest, you have indeed deserved it! We do not sail until dawn on the next day, and thanks to you, we can proceed now without fear!”

Iggy accompanies you back to the Clam Shell, asking you for more details as to what you have learned concerning Hugo and his men, and promises you that the full weight of both the Cartographer’s Guild and the Ship’s Captain Guild will bear upon the investigations. Captain Hawkridge, it seems, is about to suffer extreme scrutiny.

reddist

First Post
As Ven speaks his words of resignation, Iggy nods understandingly. “I do see your point plainsman. I must admit I had my suspicions about your comfort on the open water. So few plainsmen are truly at ease when at sea. Of course the Guild holds you no ill will. Wait until tomorrow and collect your bonus for this evening, you have earned it. Well met, and may the Siblings be with you. A brief word of warning before you set out… Taheen raiders are often upon the Midden Road this time of year. Find a caravan or wagon train to travel with on your way home.”

“Now I beg ya, do rest and relax! Not but a sun up and sun down separate us from the open sea, and Pelaid Kestor is itching to sail!”

At dawn, you find a 1000gp bonus for each of you, along with a note of personal thanks signed by several members of the Ship’s Captains Guild, including Captain Kestor and the captains of the Belle and Finlay’s Dream. Ven claims his share of the loot and items and says his goodbyes.

Party: [sblock] There won’t be any more “action” between now and setting sail, but please feel free to RP whatever you’d like on your remaining day in Swift Rock Bay. It'll be another day or so before I can work up the posts to introduce the next chapter. [/sblock]

Last edited:

reddist

First Post
Kaelin waits at the edge of the crowd, hopping up and down, hoping to get a peek at the Brigade volunteers, sure that Bran is among them. When Bran appears, she breaks through the guards and flings herself into his arms, sobbing and smothering him with kisses.

scout989

First Post
Jaleph Bigthumbs Halfling Sorceror

Not the least bit overwhelmed by the chaotic action of the night, Jaleph goes about his business replacing the scrolls that he used last night to ensure the company's survival. He tries to entice Marisa to accompany him, feeling more at ease with this human than he ever had with the halflings he's known.
He tries, before he sets out on his erands, to set up a meeting time with Bran for late in the evening, to have a drink or five together before the ship sets sail.

reddist

First Post
Hefting the small leather bags of gold Iggy left behind for you, the combined bonuses from both the Carotgrapher's Guild and Ship's Capatins Guild, you take a moment to recount them. "Hmm.... oh.... These little trade bars are worth more than I thought..."

After recounting, you determine there's actually a total value of 1000 gold in each of the pouches. There are small platinum trading bars mixed in with the coins.

Additionally, when you head to common room at the Clam Shell to break your fast, you sort through the events of the yesterday and find your self oddly refreshed. You are able to pick out the moments you might have done something differently, as well as those moments where you did things exactly right. Sifting through the entire experience, you realize you learned a bit of something about yourself and your ability to handle such dangerous situations...

Party: [sblock] Oops. Bad math. Sorry! Shouldnt'a tried to do that in my sleep deprived state... and please raise yourselves to 3rd level! [/sblock]

Animus

Explorer
Bran Olvant, Treasure Hunter Extraordinaire

"Kaelin my love, I promise to come back as soon as I am able. Just you wait for me, OK?" he says. He then sings a little tune about traveling and romance.

reddist

First Post
Animus said:
"Kaelin my love, I promise to come back as soon as I am able. Just you wait for me, OK?"

"But you were just... where are..!? ... Oooo! Bran!" Kaelin waves her arms and stomps her foot in exasperation at Bran as he smiles and winks at her, turning with a flourish of his cape.

Last edited:

Remove ads