• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E The still "complete" list of official 4E products, now with 2011!

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Sorry, there is, but I don't have it in front of me. The catalogue is at the store, but the computer's at home.

IIRC, it looks like it has new shadow races and classes + some new stuff for the Assassin.
Thanks! That's very interesting... WotC has changed the strategy regarding the release of new classes. I wonder if they will publish PHB4 next year.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Maybe publishing the assasin out of DDI? And other race(s) and classe(s)? In an essentially format?

Fanboy, thats news!

Larrin

Entropic Good
So, not even a short blurb in the catalog about Heroes of Shadow?

(to the best of my recolection)

The blurb mentions by name assassins, necromancers and hexblades. Refers to giving classes, races, and options for heros that want a darker edge, ie the Shadow source. The rest is colorful speeches about being not-evil but not-nice.

ggroy

First Post
(to the best of my recolection)

The blurb mentions by name assassins, necromancers and hexblades. Refers to giving classes, races, and options for heros that want a darker edge, ie the Shadow source. The rest is colorful speeches about being not-evil but not-nice.

Hmm ... three classes.

One could assume one of the races will be the revenant?

Larrin

Entropic Good
I wonder if they are going to republish the assassin. It was supposed to be a DDI "exclusive".

Part of me hopes they do. I won't feel betrayed or anything. They can't really give stuff for the assassin if the main write up remains only DDI, and I'm betting they realized that not including the assassin class in the book would really weaken its appeal. (I give high odds that those DDI only statements were made before they settled on this book for 'introducing' the powersource) DDI people will have had the class ~2 years when the book comes out. Thats enough time to start sharing.

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post

Sounds interesting - assassin is a striker, hexblade sounds like a defender or controller, and the necomancer as controller or leader? I look forward to seeing how this book shakes out - if nothing else, it will give me ideas on how to spice up my campaign NPCs.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
From the Catalog entry:
Player's Option: Heroes of Shadow
Mike Mearls and Robert J. Schwalb
The Shadowfell is a cold place through which the spirits of the dead must pass on their way to...whatever. Dark, evil things live there, suffused with the power of shadow.. Some mortals in the natural world learn how to tap into this source. Assassins. Necromancers. Hexblades. By all accounts, a ruthless lot. However, not all beings that draw strength from the Shadowfell are vile, blackhearted fiends. A few even dare to call themselves heroes, using the power of darkness to fight darkness. Are they evil? No. Deeply disturbed and hounded by their own dark demons? You bet.
Player's Options: Heroes of Shadow focuses on characters that fight evil in ways that make others cringe. In addition to exploring the nature of the shadow power source, this book presents races, classes, feats, powers, and other options aimed at players hungry to play the archetypal antihero with a dark edge.

320 page trade paperback (6x9), $19.95
March 15, 2011

Jhaelen

First Post
Part of me hopes they do. I won't feel betrayed or anything. They can't really give stuff for the assassin if the main write up remains only DDI, and I'm betting they realized that not including the assassin class in the book would really weaken its appeal. (I give high odds that those DDI only statements were made before they settled on this book for 'introducing' the powersource) DDI people will have had the class ~2 years when the book comes out. Thats enough time to start sharing.
I agree. I really want to see the assassin class in print. I also think it's probably a good idea to introduce this power source in this way rather than in a new PHB.

Remove ads