The Temple of Elemental Evil (Recruiting Alternates Only)

Redclaw

First Post
My understanding is that he put the religions document on their so that those who don't have any books about Greyhawk can better select religions, etc. I don't think he's going to stick to those guidelines for weapon and armor proficiences, especially since he's house-ruling in weapon groups. I would use that document for flavor and domains, rather than for other rules-stuff.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Might be. I just tend to take given guidelines too obsessively. Well, gotta wait what airwalkrr says. Not that my eguipment would change much anyway :) . I'll only pick up a shield and a dagger if it is as you say.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
I'll switch to scout. I'm not sure how to write his background. Maybe a self taught scout or fresh out of training? Anyway, I will have my character sheet updated by this afternoon. You can have the rogue Warstrike. It's not so much I want to change, as I really really like scouts lol.

**edit** This takes what was pointed out into consideration, we have no scout and, of course, is subject to approval!

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Blackrat said:
There's one thing I don't understand. I read the doc you attached about religions and I don't quite get what does the weapon&armor restrictions mean.

You have it right. The restrictions list what types of armor CAN be used. So cloth, leather, chain means that clerics of Pelor may wear cloth, leather, or chain armor. The reasons for these restrictions are priestly vows. Many gods, particularly those of good alignment, require that their followers not depend upon certain types of armor for various reasons (possibly tradition, possibly practicality, sometimes to encourage spellcasting over melee, and other reasons as well) as well as not using edged weapons like daggers and swords because they are deadlier (in the mechanical sense, they are more likely to score critical hits). These rules are a relic of an older edition, but they make a cleric's allegiance more distinct.

As for the iconic cleric of Pelor, he is a 3rd edition iconic. They removed priestly vows in 3e so Jozan can wear whatever he wants and swing whatever he wants. Consider him solely a 3e iconic; a Greyhawk iconic would never wear scale mail, and the breastplate as a distinct armor did not exist in AD&D core rules ;).

airwalkrr

Adventurer
OnlytheStrong, since you describe your character as a typical elf, he likely comes from the elf kingdom of Celene. Also, as a scout, he is probably well-versed in the recent bandit activity in the area. It is even possible that he was asked by the Celenian authorities to tail the humans back to their town and learn more about the threat this bandit activity poses and whether there is cause for greater concern. The elves helped fight off the forces of the Temple of Elemental Evil once before, and they are probably wary of the cult rising again. In fact, he was probably told that if he were to join an expedition with the expressed interest of learning more about the bandit activity, so much the better.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Okay. That's good. But is the weapon restriction also for ranged weapons? Can I use crossbow if need be?

mfrench

First Post
Is this game actually still recruiting, as the title indicates?

I'd be interested to join if you are taking one more player. I'd probably try to fulfill the primary arcane caster role.

Remove ads