• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Tournament of Flowers, Part II [Orsal Judging][Concluded]

Manzanita

First Post
Rowan scowls. He's much fonder of Kirin than this strange Boog character. Now even the pretty redhead was acting strangely. Kirin was the only one of the group he really trusted. But perhaps it was better this way. Kirin could keep an eye on Red.

"OK, Boog. Let's go read some monk mind." He turns away before rolling his eyes.

As they walk, Rowan asks, "Boog. You seem to know something about this Xu Phnug. He's some sort of rival to Red. Can you fill me in?"

El Jefe

First Post
Manzanita said:
"Boog. You seem to know something about this Xu Phnug. He's some sort of rival to Red. Can you fill me in?"
Boog shrugged. "All I know is that when 'Red' presented an invitation from her teacher, he...it...what ever it is...acted offended, as if he...it was her teacher's star pupil and the only one fit to carry that invitation. I had never seen or heard of him before then." The two strolled together for a couple of beats. "If I had known how to read minds yesterday, maybe I would have tried it then."

Manzanita

First Post
"'He...It'? How would this man not be a 'he?' Do you have some reason for calling him an 'it?' 'It' is for animals and things. Not for men." Rowan shakes his head.

"That doesn't seem helpful, but who knows. Any information is better than none. I say we ask the monks to let us see their equipment. If they were like us, they didn't take it all into the race, but left some in their box. Also, let's see if they can direct us to any of their friends or contacts."

Rowan looks for one of the monks who has already been helpful to aid them in this quest.

El Jefe

First Post
Manzanita said:
"'He...It'? How would this man not be a 'he?' Do you have some reason for calling him an 'it?' 'It' is for animals and things. Not for men."
Boog tried to clear his head. This was confusing, he just had to explain it right.

"Xu Phnug isn't a man", he explained. "He...it...is a sort of a bug-thing. I can't tell whether the things are male or female. It might not even matter." He paused to allow the shock to play over Rowan's features. "They're called Dromites, I think. They're as different from you as you are from a dwarf or a gnome. Maybe more different", he added.
Manzanita said:
"I say we ask the monks to let us see their equipment. If they were like us, they didn't take it all into the race, but left some in their box. Also, let's see if they can direct us to any of their friends or contacts."
"That might be a good place to start", Boog acquiesced. He followed the other as they sought out one of the more familiar monks.

Patlin

Explorer
The village with the old lady who is subject to visions is off to the west. Juliana and Kirin have no trouble getting directions, and head off.

Boog and Rowan remain behind at the monastery, intent on asking more questions and possibly invading the minds of hopefully unsuspecting monks with invasive telepathic powers. Do you wish to question people at random, or is there someone in particular that you wish to inquire of?

Edit: Sorry, you were more specific on a second reading. You find one of the monks that took you to view the kidnapping scene, he is willing to show you to the equipment left behind by the victims.

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
Juliana walks with Kirin as they head to the Seer. "I have met some who claim to have the gift of foresight. I only hope hers is genuine, but the monks wouldn't have likely mentioned her if they didn't believe it to be so."

Manzanita

First Post
Rowan stares at Boog incredulously. A bug-thing. He reflects on this as they walk.

"Maybe you should do the talking if we meet any of those Dromites."

Rowan is curious what the monks had for equipment. He asks the helpful monk "Do you know anyone we can talk to who would knew Xu Phung or Ton Mei?"

El Jefe

First Post
Manzanita said:
"Maybe you should do the talking if we meet any of those Dromites."
Nonplussed, Boog agreed. "They have minds like any other intelligent creature. My Powers work on them as they would on any other, although they may have enough Power of their own to resist me."

The pair approached the monk who had helped them earlier. As Rowan began to speak, Boog attempted to read the thoughts of the monk and any who were near him. Boog also tried something that he had rarely done before...suppress the effects of the Power. He nearly succeeded, but despite his best efforts everyone near him heard an audible chime inside their head when the thoughts started trickling into his mind.[sblock=OoC: ]Manifested Read Thoughts with a cone centered on the monk (and anyone behind him), 3 PP used, 13/16 PP remaining. Concentration check to dispense with display was a 13, which didn't make a DC 17. Everyone within a 15' circle of Boog hears a mental chime. Boog will keep the power up for the full 3 minutes allowed, aiming the cone at the monk for as long as he's within range, and scanning anyone else of interest if he's not.[/sblock]

Patlin

Explorer
At the mental chime, the monks look alarmed. Three monks are within the cone at the begining of the manifestation. Two of their minds open before Boogs assault, though the third pushes Boogs mental intrusion aside with an effort of will.

What was that noise? Wonders the first Monk.
Is that some sort of spell? Wonders the second.

"Something attacks me." says the third. "Is it you? Do you dare to assault us in our own house, when we have accepted you as guests?"

[sblock=Reference from SRD]Succeeding on a Saving Throw
A creature that successfully saves against a spell that has no obvious physical effects feels a hostile force or a tingle, but cannot deduce the exact nature of the attack. Likewise, if a creature’s saving throw succeeds against a targeted spell you sense that the spell has failed. You do not sense when creatures succeed on saves against effect and area spells. [/sblock]

Remove ads