The Uncommoner (a class for those that are commoners, but not really)

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
So I don't need to run through the existing subclasses, then? hahaha.

You're going to go the "Unprestigious [Starter] Class" route? I'll look forward to seeing what/how you come up with it.

I'm not sure I follow Redthistle's suggestion. You should only have one or two 3rd level features. I suppose you could just list them all out, as they've done, and say the Uncommoner can choose one or two. This certainly allows for a good deal of diversity/individuality.

But, equally well, I think you could make your proposed subclasses their own "starter prestige class" would work as well. Or, at least the Factotum. Maybe the Expert is unnecessary/suitably achievable through the Uncommoner.

I'm not quite sure how they would layer, but I do think the Expert is the higher level version of the Uncommoner where the Factotum is more an off-shoot.

My next step will ponder the structure of the unprestige system.

Carcharoth

Explorer
I am very interested in the unprestige concept, as it look like it will fit very well into my lower level style of play. I am still interested in your complete idea, and all of the work you have done so far... perhaps a system that leads from one to another, matched around tiers? Something like Unprestige, which leads to some middle tier if you don't leave, then Expert, and finally Uber-Uncommoner?

Either way, very good work.

fuindordm

Adventurer
I think this is really interesting.

I haven't had time to think about it deeply, but my first impression is that the high-level abilities arrive "out of the blue" and I would like more narrative justification for them.

Rather than just hand-waving these abilities as the result of studying with a master, similar to multiclassing, here's how I would do it:

After 10th level, give the uncommoner a pick from a menu of ~10 "super feats". But each of these has an ordinary feat as a prerequisite.

So if the PC took Magic Initiate at an early level, then at a late level they can unlock Mystic Secrets for the same spell list.
If the PC took the feat that gives them 2 maneuvers and 1 superiority die at low level, they can unlock the super-feat that gives them more maneuvers and three dice at high level.
...and so on.

To me this is a more believable way of presenting the class as someone who has a lot of untapped potential, and manages to keep up with the professionals by learning a diverse array of skills.

As for the subclasses, I think they could be more flavorful. I think the Expert makes sense to specialize the PC as a skill user, but skill use is not that difficult in 5E so maybe it can add some extra, pseudo-mystical uses of mundane skills with high DCs. (e.g. use Handle Animal to make a hostile animal friendly--DC 25, recharges on short rest). And for the Factotum, I was a huge fan of Monte Cook's akashic class.

Anyway, just spitballing here, obviously you can take it or leave it. But thanks for a thought-provoking contribution.

Ben

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I'm now looking at the Uncommoner as a 1-4 level "unprestige" class and the Factotum and Expert as Prestige Classes that require a 2 level dip into Uncommoner and build out to 5 levels.

I'm headed this way for a few reasons, most given by [MENTION=92511]steeldragons[/MENTION], but also because these are supposed to be Commoners that are forced into heroics at times. My goal with the smaller size classes is to maintain the feeling of the common man/woman who learns to be a hero because they have to do so. No longer will there be super-powered high level features.

Instead the focus will be on the following features;
Helpful
Work Together
Most Skilled
Respite
Martial Knowledge
Mystical Knowledge (lowered)
Uncompromising Skill
Focused
Push to the End
Hearty
Brawler

I'm thinking of going in a way that says the build-on classes get a selection of features at their 3rd and 5th levels. The 5th level ones would grow by overall character level tier (like cantrips)

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I'm looking for ideas that fill the following flavors at a power level of 4th to 9th level
- blessed by god (getting some flavor of Cleric, Paladin, Druid, Warlock)
- touched by beasts (flavor would be some Ranger, Druid, Barbarian)

There is no sneak attack flavor, though I'm tempted to fold that into the Martial Knowledge as a possible use of the connected die. There is also not a crit advancement flavor. Maybe those two can combine in some way.

Last edited:

Remove ads