The Wikibook of Planes

ax0n

First Post
Hi All,

I thought it would be time to detail my 'big idea' for the Netbook of Planes in anticipation of this weekends meeting. For those of you who haven't guessed, I would like to change our objective from producing a Netbook to producing a Wiki!

In case you didn't know wikis are a new breed of collaborative web-site that are taking the Internet by storm. The basic concept is very simple: a wiki is are encyclopedia-like web-sites where anyone can come along and edit the content. At first this sounds like a recipe for disaster but actually its a extremely open and effective way of allowing many people to collaborate on writing content together.

The most successful Wiki project is Wikipedia (http://www.wikipedia.org/) - an on-line encyclopedia written and edited by anyone who wants to come along and join in. For more information on wikis and the culture of wikis I recommend you take a look and search for 'wiki'.

It is my belief that if we move the Netbook of Planes from a traditional 'write then publish as PDF' publishers into a constantly evolving, dynamic, open and collaborative on-line resource - a sort of Wikibook of Planes - will give our project a new lease of life. By opening up our content in this way people will feel more obliged to contribute because the material is created and belongs to everyone. What's more, no-one in the RPG industry has even thought about doing this before!

All people submitting work would have to click an agreement saying that they are publishing their work under the OGL as 100% OGC with a clear warning that they are not to submit copyrighted work which they do not have permission to use. This would clear up the legal problems and means we could also dynamically construct section 15's for the OGL.

This is the PHP, post-nuke-like project I'm working one and I hope to have the first version up and running soon. In the meantime I'd like to hear everyones thoughts on this subject so please me know what you think and we'll take a vote on it.

Yours...

ax0n

First Post
Hi All,

As I quick post I've just pushed the new Wiki software to the live web site. The URL is as follows:

http://www.netbookofplanes.org/tiki/

Please go along and have a look, although bear in mind that this is still a work in progress. I intend to alter the style/theme so it is more in-line with our netbook style.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Added something...

... but I have no idea if it's in the right place...

-- Nifft

Last edited:

ax0n

First Post
Re: Added something...

Nifft said:
... but I have no idea if it's in the right place...

-- Nifft
Hi Nifft,
Actually, you did place it in just the wrong place. My bad - poor documentation. No harm done: I moved your edits into the Planar Cosmography structure. Good work on those commits... very interesting stuff :).

I recommend that you, and this goes for everyone else, reads the following meta articles on the new site:

*Copyrights
*How to Wiki (this one contains info on structures which are very important to this wiki)
*Contributors

Enjoy! and let me know if you have any problems.

ax0n

First Post
BTW HISTORY IS NOW FIXED :)

Hi, its great to see you're using the application and adding content. You got the hang of strctures. I have a couple of other quick notes:

* Please try to comment all your changes. If you create a page put 'page created' in the comments, if you add a new section let us, if you correct spelling say that.
* You don't need to add headings to a page: the page title itself is sufficient (see history of Lanternal Prestige Class).

Finally, I also activated comments for the wiki and left some remarks about your Lantern Disciple and Lanternal. Let me know what you think.

Last edited:

Remove ads