Planescape Manual of the Planes for 5e on DMSGuild

New on the DMSGuild is the Manual of the Planes for 5th edition. The cover is stunning. It's over 300 pages and the credits page includes folks from The Draconomicon, The Dragonlance Companion, Tasha's Crucible of Everything Else, Planescape: Metropolis, The Honkonomicon and Planewalker.com I love the special thanks. This project was made possible by Roll20. Thank you for unlocking new...

New on the DMSGuild is the Manual of the Planes for 5th edition. The cover is stunning.

Manual of the Planes. An invaluable, definitive work on the most fascinating aspect of the World's Greatest Roleplaying Game

It's over 300 pages and the credits page includes folks from The Draconomicon, The Dragonlance Companion, Tasha's Crucible of Everything Else, Planescape: Metropolis, The Honkonomicon and Planewalker.com

Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 9.37.13 PM.png

I love the special thanks.

This project was made possible by Roll20. Thank you for unlocking new horizons for the latest generation of planewalkers, bashers, berks, and touts. We’d also like to thank the giants on whose shoulders we stand when writing this book: Justice Ramin Arman, Richard Baker, Wolfgang Baur, David “Zeb” Cook, Bruce R. Cordell, Jeff Grubb, David Noonan, F. Wesley Schneider, Rick Swan, and all others who helped create and cultivate Planescape and the planes.

I've just bought it and am reading it now.

Here is the table of contents.

Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 10.18.51 PM.png

WhatLiesBeyond

Explorer
The more I read, the more I find that the monsters in this book are excellent! I am especially impressed by the way the eodath (Celestial eladrin) got converted; their 5e abilities match their 2e equivalents so well! I'm definitely going to use these creatures in my campaigns!
The Eodath were my handiwork primarily, and balancing them was a unique challenge. I had the legacy statblocks open the whole time while assembling the new versions.

Trimming down the spell lists to match the expected number of spells for 5e creatures was the trickiest part.

TravDoc42

Getting a hang of this!
The Eodath were my handiwork primarily, and balancing them was a unique challenge. I had the legacy statblocks open the whole time while assembling the new versions.

Trimming down the spell lists to match the expected number of spells for 5e creatures was the trickiest part.
I don't doubt that it was tricky, but you did an excellent job!! They're one of my favourite creatures in the book, and in 5e generally!

afroakuma

Explorer
I don't doubt that it was tricky, but you did an excellent job!! They're one of my favourite creatures in the book, and in 5e generally!
Very glad to hear this. I was second chair on these and my goal was to ensure that we did not lose out on the classic celestial eladrin just because of the newer editions' redirect on the name. I feel like the decisions WhatLiesBeyond made mechanically provided a strong foundation for using these entities in a campaign; I just hope the lore and revisions I added meet the standards of his work.

afroakuma

Explorer
I' sorry if you already answered this up thread - but what would it take to get you to POD status? More sales of the pdf?
Yep, we're actually very well on our way but more sales are still needed. As I understand it, Platinum status is the trigger for POD.

Now that said, there's a second reason POD isn't available just yet, and it's a much more positive reason that I'm not allowed to discuss at this time. It will be happening and we're all enthused about that. In the meantime just looking forward to more of @dave2008 reviewing the book, and of course any other feedback from readers who want to share their thoughts is most welcome!

dave2008

Legend
Yep, we're actually very well on our way but more sales are still needed. As I understand it, Platinum status is the trigger for POD.

Now that said, there's a second reason POD isn't available just yet, and it's a much more positive reason that I'm not allowed to discuss at this time. It will be happening and we're all enthused about that. In the meantime just looking forward to more of @dave2008 reviewing the book, and of course any other feedback from readers who want to share their thoughts is most welcome!
Unfortunately, my daughter passed away just before new years and I don't know if and when I will have the desire to finish my review. So sorry, I just don't make the energy to do it at the moment. I was looking forward to it though, so maybe I can tackle it as part of my healing.

WhatLiesBeyond

Explorer
Unfortunately, my daughter passed away just before new years and I don't know if and when I will have the desire to finish my review. So sorry, I just don't make the energy to do it at the moment. I was looking forward to it though, so maybe I can tackle it as part of my healing.
You have my most sincere condolences. Please, do whatever you think is necessary to take care of yourself in a time like this.

afroakuma

Explorer
Unfortunately, my daughter passed away just before new years and I don't know if and when I will have the desire to finish my review.
I'm so sorry to hear that. Nobody should ever have to go through that. Sorry for your loss, and apologies for pinging you back for something so trivial. I hope you and your loved ones have the time and space to grieve as you need.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads