Thread Not Found (Unless I Log Out)

Retreater

Legend
News articles shouldn't be blocked from members of the site. If they want to ban someone from the site entirely, that's their decision. But if it's a personal disagreement from a Mod who is acting from personal preference, the major news stories shouldn't be blocked from members. If it's a serious issue, ban the member.
This also implies that the Mod can't see the posts of the ignored member - does that mean that that member isn't being modded?
I'm a manager at my job. I can't simply decide that I don't want to deal with employees or customers. If he's violated board standards, ban the poster. If not, he should be able to have full access to the news articles.

Reynard

Legend
News articles shouldn't be blocked from members of the site. If they want to ban someone from the site entirely, that's their decision. But if it's a personal disagreement from a Mod who is acting from personal preference, the major news stories shouldn't be blocked from members. If it's a serious issue, ban the member.
This also implies that the Mod can't see the posts of the ignored member - does that mean that that member isn't being modded?
I'm a manager at my job. I can't simply decide that I don't want to deal with employees or customers. If he's violated board standards, ban the poster. If not, he should be able to have full access to the news articles.
The simplest solution is probably to create a "poster" that is just "News" and never have that poster block anyone.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
IMHO, the best thing would be for all of the mod team to have dual identities.

With respect, the best thing would be for the Ignore function to work as intended.

As far as I am aware, this was not a desired, or intentional, change.

@Morrus and @darjr will have to look into it and figure out what's happening. Until then, please be patient.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
It's less that the Mod can't see the posts of the ignored member. If you have someone on ignore, you can always pierce that veil by clicking the "Show ignored content" at the bottom of any screen where there is content from someone you're ignoring. That works whether you have 2-way ignore on or not.

The bigger problem is the way 2-way ignore hides content from the people you've ignored. They have no recourse to see what you've posted. So, if a Mod ignores someone and has 2-way ignore on, anyone they've ignored can't see when they've modded content. So any warnings about keeping a thread on topic can't be seen. Any warning about dropping a particular line of discussion can't be seen. And that's pretty counterproductive because a Mod should want their red text warnings to be viewable by everyone. I assume that's a primary reason we can't ignore a Mod.

And I think ultimately this means the simplest solution, if you want Mods to be able to ignore people, is for them to turn off 2-way ignore on their own profiles.

Last edited:

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
With respect, the best thing would be for the Ignore function to work as intended.
There would, potentially, be other advantages with my suggestion, but - as I wrote - I realize that it would likely be a hassle for you and the rest of the team. Best to drop this line of thought.

As far as I am aware, this was not a desired, or intentional, change.

Thanks for having clarified this.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Both
and

are threads started by Morrus (who obviously starts more threads than most people around here). Here are a few other threads started by him recently:

If you can read most threads, but none of the above, I think everything that needs to be said has been already.
It's a change that happened on Weds, apparently is an accident, but is also of so low of a priority that it will very likely never be changed back. :(

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
It's a change that happened on Weds, apparently is an accident, but is also of so low of a priority that it will very likely never be changed back. :(
Seriously? That's unfortunate.

@darjr is, if I recall correctly, the person who tweaks the site code when things like this happen. Hopefully there'll be an update soon.

Remove ads