D&D 5E Three New 5E Backgrounds to Enhance Your New PC

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Good concepts, but I wonder why the 3 skills and no tool or language? Surely Herbalism kit and 1 language would make sense, and Survival and choice of Perception or Nature.

The other two just give an uneven amount of benefit, compared to eachother, and I wouldn’t allow them as is simply due to breaking the normal format of backgrounds.

Griffon Lore Games

Publishing Content for 5E and Pathfinder1E
Good concepts, but I wonder why the 3 skills and no tool or language? Surely Herbalism kit and 1 language would make sense, and Survival and choice of Perception or Nature.

The other two just give an uneven amount of benefit, compared to each other, and I wouldn’t allow them as is simply due to breaking the normal format of backgrounds.
I am not a fan of tools combined with a "non-tool" (toolless? sans tool) background.

A blacksmith or herbalist background should stand on its own two feet, not combined with academic-focused backgrounds--but that's how I roll.

doctorbadwolf

I am not a fan of tools combined with a "non-tool" (toolless? sans tool) background.

A blacksmith or herbalist background should stand on its own two feet, not combined with academic-focused backgrounds--but that's how I roll.
I’m confused by this response. I don’t want to be rude, but...what?

5e gives either languages or tools, an 2 skills. Forward Scout gives 3 skills, and no other proficiency.

A tool proficiency doesn’t “combine” an Herbalist background into the Forward Scout, it’s just a tool proficiency that makes that character knowledgeable about herbalism, and makes the background actually compatible with 5e.

Griffon Lore Games

Pretty much.
Indeed. To me, the benefits of a DM designed or modified campaign setting is the ability to add backgrounds specific to the setting. I got all these sages:
  • Sages from the Imperial University system
  • Sages from the Royal University
  • Elf sages
  • Dwarf Sages
  • Metaphysical Warlock/Witch Sages
  • Warrior-Philosophers from a monastery
The latter four don't have a finished design yet.

Griffon Lore Games

I’m confused by this response. I don’t want to be rude, but...what?

5e gives either languages or tools, an 2 skills. Forward Scout gives 3 skills, and no other proficiency.

A tool proficiency doesn’t “combine” an Herbalist background into the Forward Scout, it’s just a tool proficiency that makes that character knowledgeable about herbalism, and makes the background actually compatible with 5e.
Oh! The forward scout. Sorry, I was talking about the two sages.

The forward scout sacrifices a tool proficiency/language for a precise skill list required by the campaign setting. A player can pick the Solider background and have a more traditional set of things that come with their character.

When play-tested, the forward scout worked, and the lack of tool and language forced the PC to role-play acquiring those later in the campaign. The lack of the ability to make their own arrows forced a drain on that PC's finances, while the guy who went Soldier was like "Imma gonna fix my own armor."

doctorbadwolf

Oh! The forward scout. Sorry, I was talking about the two sages.

The forward scout sacrifices a tool proficiency/language for a precise skill list required by the campaign setting. A player can pick the Solider background and have a more traditional set of things that come with their character.

When play-tested, the forward scout worked, and the lack of tool and language forced the PC to role-play acquiring those later in the campaign. The lack of the ability to make their own arrows forced a drain on that PC's finances, while the guy who went Soldier was like "Imma gonna fix my own armor."
Okay, if it works for your game have fun.

Remove ads