D&D 5E Three New 5E Backgrounds to Enhance Your New PC

Griffon Lore Games

Publishing Content for 5E and Pathfinder1E
Not entirely sure this flaw should really be a thing in this day and age.
Maidens are spoils of war.

Also, what if the mercenary scout in question isn't a dude and doesn't like maidens?
Whoops. That was supposed to be "I'm in it for the spoils of war."

Fixed. Thanks for not flaming me into oblivion, heh.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Whoops. That was supposed to be "I'm in it for the spoils of war."

Fixed. Thanks for not flaming me into oblivion, heh.

Just thought it odd given the other flaws.

I can see "in it for the spoils of war" Or even an "in it for the maidens/bachelors". Because that uniform or slightly dangerous edge to the mercenary is attractive to some people. Plus glory and fame it always attractive.

Oh! The forward scout. Sorry, I was talking about the two sages.

The forward scout sacrifices a tool proficiency/language for a precise skill list required by the campaign setting. A player can pick the Solider background and have a more traditional set of things that come with their character.

When play-tested, the forward scout worked, and the lack of tool and language forced the PC to role-play acquiring those later in the campaign. The lack of the ability to make their own arrows forced a drain on that PC's finances, while the guy who went Soldier was like "Imma gonna fix my own armor."

I think that's great. Best not to get dogmatic with mechanics. The serve only the narrative (non-mechanical elements of the game) anyway.

You can RP without rules, but you can't play it without narrative.

Griffon Lore Games

I think that's great. Best not to get dogmatic with mechanics. The serve only the narrative (non-mechanical elements of the game) anyway.

You can RP without rules, but you can't play it without narrative.
I made a background where the PC only gets a sewing kit, 100 PP, and a wanted poster with their face on it for a crime they didn't commit.

Have yet to figure out how to make other Backgrounds that work with it, but I have to say as a player I would be trapped in a circular thought pattern:

"This Background sucks."
"But that's 100 PP!"
"This Background sucks."
"But that's 100 PP!"
"This Background sucks."
"But that's 100 PP!"
"This Background sucks."
"But that's 100 PP!"

I'd probably click OK.

Weiley31

Legend
Have three new Backgrounds: Three New 5E Backgrounds to Enhance Your New PC

If you use D&D Beyond, we also linked the Backgrounds to the homebrew published entry, so you can add it to your fresh new PC and have at it!

View attachment 124798
Thane Hardlock, Royal University Scholar
Quick question: I really like alot of the stuff from this Adventure Path. Is the whole Curse of Lost Memories campaign available or is there only the first part right now?

Griffon Lore Games

Quick question: I really like alot of the stuff from this Adventure Path. Is the whole Curse of Lost Memories campaign available or is there only the first part right now?
Just the first book.

The second book is in progress. We had to retool how we operate. We thought that customers wanted the campaign setting, so we finished that book, but it didn't fare well for various reasons on Kickstarter.

However, we have a new production pipeline. CC2 will be a much better book now, especially encounter design and NPC interaction, not to mention better art and editing.

And thanks! We're glad you like it.

Worrgrendel

Explorer
Gotta have a vicious soldier group that does that for spoils of war so that way your PCs have somebody, that needs a reason, to be taken out.
Except those are PC options. DM’s don’t need official backgrounds for NPC’s. They’re whatever backstory the DM wants them to have for plot purposes. I’m afraid to read anything else they want to publish. I get enough sexist comments from the redneck hillbillies I work with. I don’t need/want them in my games.

Remove ads