• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ties that Bind - 3.5 Forgotten Realms Gestalt

Erudite

First Post
Partial BAB and Saves

Fellow players,

Remember that with Partial Saves you do not add a +2 bonus to a good save more than once. Figure your saves easily like this:

Saves: (TOTAL levels with good save / 2) + 2 + (TOTAL levels with poor save /3) then drop remaining fractions.

Thus a character who is a Wiz 10/Geometer 2 AND Fighter 4/Ranger 4/Barbarian 4 would have:

FORT: 12 good levels = 12/2 plus 2 plus 0/3 = +8 Fort base. Do not make the mistake of giving him a +4 +4 +4 = +12 Fort base save.

REFL: 8 good levels, 4 poor levels = 8/2 plus 2 plus 4/3 = + 7 1/3 Refl base. He would not receive +6 Refl base.

WILL: 12 good levels, 0 poor levels = 12/2 plus 2 plus 0/3 = +8 Will base. Do not make the mistake of giving him a +7+3 = +10 Will base save.

Any questions, just ask me.

Cheers,
Erudite

gabrion

First Post
Someone said:
Ok, there´s still some details to solve with equipment and such, and comments are welcome. Here´s my proposed character...

I like the character overall, but if you don't mind I have a few suggestions. Taking level 5+6 of fighter only gives you one bonus feat, so if you cut that back to 4 levels and just took one more level of ranger (chosing TWF as your combat style) you would have the same number of feats with another level of stuff to play with.

Also, since a fighter/wizard type has a conflict when it comes to wearing armor, have you thought about something to decrease ASF? Spellsword does a fine job of this, but it has 1/2 CL advancement. Just some ideas.

Bloodweave said:
The concept I was thinking about is:
Halfling Rogue 15 (with 2 halfling sub levels RoTW) / P. Warrior 5 PLUS
Inivisible Blade 5 / Master Thrower 5 / Whisperknife 10 /

This looks like a fine concept.

Erudite said:
Gabrion,

Are we still allowed to double up on prestige classes? I did not think so, since it was not mentioned at the start of this thread, but do correct me if I am wrong.

*bashes head against wall*

That's a really important point I forgot to cover in the OP. Normally in gestalt you can't take to PrCs side by side, but in this game you can. I'll go fix that now.

Scotly said:
As mentioned in the earlier thread I would be interested in a Warlock/Wizard mix. I might toss a little something extra in there like a level or two of bard or rogue for some social skills and color, but likely just the two core classes.

That is a fine concept. On the wizard side I would look for a PrC that fits with your character concept, but of course that isn't needed. Wizards are perfectly effective as written.

keia said:
Here is the class mix and breakdown for my psion/rogue. I'll add it to my post above as well for completeness:

1st: Psion / Rogue
2nd: Psion / Rogue
3rd: Psion / Rogue
4th: Psion / Rogue
5th: Psion / Fighter
6th: Fighter / Elocator
7th: Psion / Elocator
8th: Rogue / Elocator
9th: Rogue / Elocator
10th: Psion / Elocator
11th: Rogue / Elocator
12th: Rogue / Elocator [Psion 7 / Rogue 8 / Fighter 2 / Elocator 7]
13th: Psion / Elocator
14th: Rogue / Elocator
15th: Rogue / Elocator
16th: Rogue / Shadowmind
17th: Psion / Shadowmind
18th: Rogue / Shadowmind
19th: Rogue / Shadowmind
20th: Psion / Shadowmind

Final Tally: Psion 10 / Rogue 13 / Fighter 2 / Elocator 10 / Shadowmind 5

Keia

Looks good! I look forward to the background and such.

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
gabrion said:
I like the character overall, but if you don't mind I have a few suggestions. Taking level 5+6 of fighter only gives you one bonus feat, so if you cut that back to 4 levels and just took one more level of ranger (chosing TWF as your combat style) you would have the same number of feats with another level of stuff to play with.

Also, since a fighter/wizard type has a conflict when it comes to wearing armor, have you thought about something to decrease ASF? Spellsword does a fine job of this, but it has 1/2 CL advancement. Just some ideas.

Suggestions are welcome from anyone. I actually took two levels of ranger, and changed them later to one. I wasn´t sure if it counted as an actual feat for requirements and such, so changed it for another fighter level to be sure. In the end is the same, but ranger 2 is more advantageous if we level up, since I could take then the 6th level of fighter and get another feat. So, since there´s no problem, I´ll change it.

I avoided Spellsword since it´s a "mix them" prestige class, like Eldritch Knight, and anyway I was counting with a Extended greater mage armor to keep a +6 to AC constantly. But if you allow it, I only have to buy a +2 mithral shirt and take one level of spellsword, it´s all I need to keep the same AC bonus and reduce ASF to 0 (and a +2 mithril shirt is cheaper than a 4th level slot). I´ll change the sheet, then.

I see many melee builds already; if needed, I could change slightly my spell selection to include more blasting and utility spells.

gabrion

First Post
Erudite said:
Fellow players,

Remember that with Partial Saves you do not add a +2 bonus to a good save more than once. Figure your saves easily like this:

Saves: (TOTAL levels with good save / 2) + 2 + (TOTAL levels with poor save /3) then drop remaining fractions.

Thus a character who is a Wiz 10/Geometer 2 AND Fighter 4/Ranger 4/Barbarian 4 would have:

FORT: 12 good levels = 12/2 plus 2 plus 0/3 = +8 Fort base. Do not make the mistake of giving him a +4 +4 +4 = +12 Fort base save.

REFL: 8 good levels, 4 poor levels = 8/2 plus 2 plus 4/3 = + 7 1/3 Refl base. He would not receive +6 Refl base.

WILL: 12 good levels, 0 poor levels = 12/2 plus 2 plus 0/3 = +8 Will base. Do not make the mistake of giving him a +7+3 = +10 Will base save.

Any questions, just ask me.

Cheers,
Erudite

Thanks for pointing this out Erudite. I forget sometimes that a lot of people don't even use the partial bonus system. Anyway, as he said, if you have any questions just post them and I'll try to help of if Erudite gets to if first it seems like he can give advice in that department. Of course the exact bonus to saves and the like won't matter so much until after players are selected, but it's good to keep the rules in mind anyway.

gabrion

First Post
Someone said:
I avoided Spellsword since it´s a "mix them" prestige class, like Eldritch Knight, and anyway I was counting with a Extended greater mage armor to keep a +6 to AC constantly.

Feel free to kick me in the teeth now, but my imagination was running away with me as spellsword is indeed a "mix em" class and can't be used. :) Boy I sure am giving good advice...

A different option would be something like Warmage 8/Mage of the Arcane Order 4 with Battle Caster. You could cast in full plate and MotAO would allow you some versatility. Then again, if you are more interested in an actually wizard that won't help you too much.

djrdjmsqrd

First Post
Question...

Do you allow the Bard Variant: Bardic Sage?
I was thinking of;
01. Rg/Rngr
02. Rg/Rngr
03. Rg/Rngr
04. Rg/Clrc
05. Rngr/Clrc
06. Rngr/Clrc
07. Rg/Clrc
08. Rngr/Clrc
09. Rg/Clrc
10. Mnk/Clrc
11. Mnk/Clrc
12. Mnk/Clrc
13. Mnk/Clrc ?
14. Mnk/Clrc ?
15. Mnk/Clrc ?
16. Mnk/Clrc ?
17. Mnk/Clrc ?
18. Mnk/Clrc ?
19. Mnk/Clrc ?
20. Mnk/Clrc ?
- or -
01. Rg/Brd
02. Rngr/Brd
03. Rngr/Rg
04. Rngr/Brd
05. Rg/Brd
06. Nnj/Brd - Stats wise the same, just won't be wearing Black PJs ;p
07. Nnj/Brd
08. Nnj/Brd
09. Rg/Brd
10. Rngr/Brd
11. Nnj/Brd
12. Nnj/Brd
13. Rg/Brd
14. Rngr/Brd
15. Rngr/Brd
16. ?/Brd
17. ?/Brd
18. ?/Brd
19. ?/Brd
20. ?/Brd

Been playing online for a little bit, to PbP under my belt and good amount of PBeM. Been in alot of settings/rule-sets...mostly sticking with d20 (Modern/FR/GH/HomeBrew)/d6(WEG SW)...enjoy a mixture of types of cames, like descriptive posts...

I can post once a day, sometimes more...

Race...thinking of Tiefling, Human, Dwarf, or, Half-Elf...

Someone

Adventurer
gabrion said:
Feel free to kick me in the teeth now, but my imagination was running away with me as spellsword is indeed a "mix em" class and can't be used. :) Boy I sure am giving good advice...

A different option would be something like Warmage 8/Mage of the Arcane Order 4 with Battle Caster. You could cast in full plate and MotAO would allow you some versatility. Then again, if you are more interested in an actually wizard that won't help you too much.

Warmage or Mage of the arcane order doesn´t fit exactly with the concept and background, so I think they are out - and that build would cost a lot of feats I don´t have. And anyway I can´t go beyond light armor if I want to use two weapon fighting...(The double sword/tempest thing is important - he has to demonstrate his father he´s not only better, but also cooler) I think I´ll keep just wizard.

gabrion

First Post
djrdjm said:
Do you allow the Bard Variant: Bardic Sage?

Yes I will allow that. Actually I will allow most varient classes from UA, so I'll add that to the OP. Both of those concepts look fine. In the second one, is there a particular reason to use both rogue and ninja vs just taking levels in one of them? I know the classes offer different things, but I was wondering what you are trying to do.

Someone said:
Warmage or Mage of the arcane order doesn´t fit exactly with the concept and background, so I think they are out - and that build would cost a lot of feats I don´t have. And anyway I can´t go beyond light armor if I want to use two weapon fighting...(The double sword/tempest thing is important - he has to demonstrate his father he´s not only better, but also cooler) I think I´ll keep just wizard.

Cool. I'm gald to see you are working from a character concept as you put him together. If you don't mind one more suggestion, I was thinking that if you are going to have a high Int, swashbuckler could offer some good synergy. Of course I'm not sure if you have enough free feats to drop any fighter levels, but it's something to consider.

BTW, is this guy's attack form based on spring attack?

Last edited:

Keia

I aim to misbehave
As for race and background, I was thinking Elan. But I need to do some research on psionic societies in F/R, if there are any Elan and where. That sort of thing

Keia

chubbell

First Post
Is it too late to join this group? My character concept will probably be a psion/wizard or cleric/wizard character.

I'll work out the details later tonight for you.

Remove ads