D&D 5E Tomb of Horrors!

tglassy

Adventurer
HP will be rolled. For stats you can roll 4d6 drop the lowest once, and if you don't like it just use Standard Array.

Also, some ground rules.

First, Short and Long Rests are going to be going by the Gritty Realism option in the DMG. In other words, a Short Rest is 8 hours, and a Long Rest is 7 days. You will need to pack accordingly. I will be keeping an eye on your rations, and you will go through one ration a day each. Should you run out of rations, you must leave the tomb to get more, if you are able to leave. If you are not able to leave, and you run out of rations, then you will begin starving to death. You will need to be very careful with your Short and Long Rests because of this.

For that purpose, we will be using the Encumbrance rules, so you can carry a number of pounds equal to 15 times your strength score. Period. This is all you can bring in the tomb with you. No pack animals or wagons can come in, though you can leave one outside if you wish. If you have spells that help with this, great. Don't worry, I will only worry about this as far as what you bring with you. I won't care once we get started. I just don't want you spending 5,000 gp on rations.

This determines how much equipment you can bring, and how many rations you can hold. Rations are two pounds each. Just FYI.

Per the DMG for starting at higher levels, this is a High Magic game, so you start with 5,000 + (1d10*250) gp, along with 3 uncommon magic items and 1 rare magic item, along with your ordinary equipment. You might want to think about pooling your wealth to buy equipment for the party. Bags of Holding might help with rations.

While dungeon crawling, I will not save you. If you die, you die. For that purpose, when you are checking for traps, I run it two ways. First, your perception checks. This is just what you can see, hear, etc. If you pass the perception check, you may be able to see the trap. If you do not, you must then search the hard way by telling me EXACTLY WHAT YOUR CHARACTER IS DOING. In other words, passing the perception check is the 'easy' way, but if you don't pass, you can still find the trap...if you look in just the right space. So for example, you didn't notice a trap, but you decide to tap your staff on the ground in front of you, staying back a few feet in case it hits something. And it does. So the trap does off, or you at least notice it.

If you do not pass your check, I will not tell you. I will simply say you didn't notice anything. If you do not then find the trap, and instead walk on it, you will get hurt. Or die. Or both.

I am giving you a lot. High level, magic items, etc. So I will not be holding back. I won't force you to lose. All the traps and whatnot will be premade and will definitely be defeatable. But you are going to have to be smart. Or lucky. Or both.

If you fail a perception check, you may make another one the next day to notice the same thing. This way, there's a penalty for everyone failing the check, but you can come back and try again tomorrow.

Azurewraith

Explorer
_: 4D6.HIGH(3) = [2, 3, 1, 2] = 7
4D6.HIGH(3) = [2, 4, 5, 1] = 11
4D6.HIGH(3) = [2, 5, 5, 5] = 15
4D6.HIGH(3) = [3, 2, 4, 3] = 10
4D6.HIGH(3) = [3, 3, 2, 1] = 8
4D6.HIGH(3) = [1, 2, 1, 2] = 5

... cant decide what is worse those stats or the array.

Also rethinking this illusionist with these rest options, my evening just closed up been roped into the 5AM shift so ill most likely do some brain storming tonight maybe a draft(ill keep you guys posted).

Variant human,Feats cool? what about UA? oh and homebrew? i have this dungeon delver class gets expertise in thieves tools and preception and advantage on all saves and can sense traps at will. along with d12 HD.

Last edited:

Remove ads