TORCHWOOD Finale - spoilers

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Excellent double episode!

"So, Jack, what would have convinced you to open the rift?"
"The right kind of Doctor."

Followed by The Doctor's hand disappearing, a familiar wheezing noise, and then... "where's Jack? He was here a minute ago!"

So The Doctor has picked him up ready for his appearance in three episodes of Dctor Who, eh? You'd have thought, though, that instead of turning up when everything was all over, he'd have turned up a little earlier and actually helped out a bit. I mean - worldwide cracks in time? That's exactly his forte!

The actress who plays Gwen did really well with her boyfriend's death scene. Superb bit of acting there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I've added 'spoilers' to your title, since you give away some major plot elements here!

(not having seen it yet, as my wife wanted to watch the last ever Vicar of Dibley :))

LrdApoc

"Insert Title here"
Plane Sailing said:
I've added 'spoilers' to your title, since you give away some major plot elements here!

(not having seen it yet, as my wife wanted to watch the last ever Vicar of Dibley :))

Well all in all a good ending. I am pleasantly surprised by the growth of the series over 13 episodes. I was disappointed that they hit the reset button to some degree at the end.. it didn't make sense to me but oh well. Defeating the BBEG was good, the tie in to "The Satan Pit" and the ending disappearance by the sound of the Tardis was cool but I didn't like the lack of impact for the actions. Much of the series has been about dealing with the results of choices - and this went too far back after some of the events - and once again time/life is changed and no one outside Torchwood reacted realistically in my view - think about the possibility of flying saucers over India - Nuclear India..

sniffles

First Post
I really enjoyed the two-part finale. I thought they did a nice job of handling all of the issues that had been raised previously.

I didn't feel they really pressed the reset button. It was quite an interesting way to wrap up the first season storyline. I was relieved that they didn't end the series on a cliffhanger with Jack still being apparently dead.

I agree with Morrus about Eve Myles' reaction scenes being very well done. I also liked Owen's scenes. I love how they've made him such a sh*t and yet made him a character I can sympathize with. Good writing.

It's going to be a very long time until the next series airs. Sigh.

delericho

Legend
I thought the first episode was excellent. The second started well, but I felt it got progressively sillier as it went on.

Jack (in particular) needs to learn that the middle of a crisis is not the time to start throwing blame and recriminations. Deal with the problem, then deal with disciplinary issues.

Also, I'm a bit dismayed that the net effect of Torchwood, both here and in Doctor Who, is such that the world would be better off without them. After all, without them, there would have been
neither Cybermen nor Daleks running around Canary Wharf, there would have been no spree of 'Risen Mitten' murders, and no CGI demons running around
this week. And, in all of this, how many people have they actually helped?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
delericho said:
And, in all of this, how many people have they actually helped?

I think you're misunderstanding Torchwood's rmeit. They've made it very clear that they're not there to help people - their job is to gather alien technology for use in world defence. Thus, they were able to shoot down a big spaceship in last year's Xmas episode of Doctor Who. For them, it's a "bigger" issue type of thing.

Hawklord

First Post
I liked these two.

The 1940's story had some creepy Sapphire & Steel moments that were quite effective, though the story did get bogged down a bit in sentimentality - I liked the creepy dancehall owner who can apparently flit through time, wonder if we've seen our first reoccuring villian for Torchwood?

The Finale was pretty good again it empasised how little of a "team" the Torchwood folks are - falling apart in a crisis and all rebelling against Jack (who yet again was proved right).

Loved the CGI demon who's shadow killed - that was quite effective - a nice throwback to the "Satan Pit" - though this demon was apparently Abaddon rather than Satan. Wonder if there's more of them imprisoned throughout the galaxy!

Overall Torchwood has improved greatly over the series although there have been some very patchy episodes.

Hopefully it'll be renewed!

delericho

Legend
Hawklord said:
all rebelling against Jack (who yet again was proved right).

Was he, though?

True, opening the Rift freed Abaddon, but it also sealed up all those cracks. And Jack expressed absolutley no plans, or even ideas, for how that might be achieved. Given that time was unravelling, and that as Owen said there was a huge danger of seeing a future plague that just couldn't be treated, the Rift couldn't just be left to bleed, so...

I think the actual answer to the question boils down to something we never saw: could our Armed Forces take down Abaddon? If so, releasing him to close the Rift was the right thing to do. If not, then it certainly wasn't, and the world was just lucky that they had a Jack handy.

Hopefully it'll be renewed!

Already has been. Plus, it's been 'upgraded' to BBC2 for next year.

Hawklord

First Post
delericho said:
Already has been. Plus, it's been 'upgraded' to BBC2 for next year.

Didn't know that - cool!

Assuming Abaddon is vulerable to conventional weapons (no evidence to the contrary) presumably they would have to use long-range one's not just drive a tank up and blast away like in the Christmas special :\

btw did anyone spot the crossover - I missed it, apparently there were posters sayin VOTE SAXON on the walls outside the dancehall and someone refered to Mr Saxon in the Dr Who special. Do we have another Bad Wolf?

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Hawklord said:
btw did anyone spot the crossover - I missed it, apparently there were posters sayin VOTE SAXON on the walls outside the dancehall and someone refered to Mr Saxon in the Dr Who special. Do we have another Bad Wolf?

So long as he turns out to be the Master, I'm all for it. :)

Remove ads