• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

TURTLEDOME!: Battle Bone (DM: KenHood, Judge: Lord S.)

fireinthedust

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]I vote skip ahead. We can chat like this ooc and assume the PCs did it in their time off; strategy-wise, I can try to think like Emral.

I've got +4 BRA with magic missile, but I plan to use Scorching Burst a lot. Also my daily, Flaming Sphere, though only if they spread out or come too close to us.

I was hoping we could get them to mass together so I can nail them with area spells. Ideally, if we could bottleneck them somehow that would keep them from overwhelming us from all sides. As long as the mages are up, we can clear the field of Minions faster than the three of you together; multiple targets with one spell is what we do.

What I'm worried about is artillery getting line of sight on me and Drivan. Could we borrow at least one of the melee classes to hang out with us and cover our tails?
Considering that we'll both be using Area spells, I vote protecting the casters is a primary concern. At least until we last three Rounds, or have gotten rid of the largest part of them.
Like a Roman Tortoise, y'know?
[/sblock]

Atanatotatos

First Post
[sblock=ooc]we need to see the terrain first, but I suppose a good default formation is the melee characters surrounding the ranged ones (or before them if we can have a wall at our back), with one adjacent to Hadarai to profit from Commander's strike. Basically form a wall for the wizards to burn away at the waves of enemies... you both have scorching burst, don't you? please say so...[/sblock]

KenHood

First Post
You clean up and make your way to the restaurant, Dwarven Bob's All You Can Eat Surf and Turf Mega-Buffet. It's not a high end restaurant by any stretch of the imagination, but it is a fascinating example of buffet engineering, with over twelve kinds of fresh soup on the soup bar and a baked potato bar over twenty feet long. And a fifty-foot long table of fish, fish, more fish, and meat. A pile of meat of titanic proportions. And a 'cook it yourself' grill.

Marco greets you at the entrance. "Ah! There you are! So glad you decided to join me!"

He leads you to the buffet line. The manager and several of the wait-staff greet him by name. Marco picks up a platter the size of a tower shield and begins to fill it with sundry victuals. "You should try the bacon stuffed, bacon-wrapped grilled, then soaked in ranch-dressing and deep-fried shrimp delights. They literally are a delight. Known to transport many a man directly to the heavens." He chuckles at his own joke.

Once you fill your trays and place your drink orders, Marco leads you to a well-used table overlooking the harbor. You can see the TURTLEDOME! in the distance.

"I can tell just by your demeanor that you five are tough individuals with a tough-minded way about you, able to tough out even the toughest circumstances, and I want to help you."

"I'm willing to serve as your sponsor in the TURTLEDOME!"
(again he all but screams the word) "arena, in return for your group wearing apparel related to my business and performing the appropriate product endorsements. In return for your efforts, I can provide your party with the princely sum of 100 gold pieces to help outfit yourselves for the coming battle. Also, I have uncle with no small skill in the creation of potions, whom I'm sure I can induce to provide you each with a healing potion for the match. And I have a third cousin whom I might be able to persuade to part with his prized magical sword, to loan to you for the match. And he has a friend of a friend who knows a guy that might loan you a magical staff or wand or something like that--but I'm not too sure about that one, because he said you'd have to clean out his rat cellar. And having overhead your needs for sleeping accomodations, I will be more than happy to stable you, my amazing gladiators, in the basement of my shop/home."

"So, what say you? I know you have to spend money to make money, and as you can see, I'm ready to spend!"

Reklaw

First Post
Drivan listens intently, his own plate of food piled high with a multitude of different foods. He has a small stack of the bacon-wrapped/bacon-grilled shrimp which he is tossing back with a careless enjoyment. He perks up at the sound of a magical staff or wand glancing quickly at Emral to judge his reaction.

Clearing his throat and wiping his fingers on a napkin he glances quickly at his party members and offers a suggestion, "Sir, I think your suggestions are quite accomodating though I have a few requests to make."

He pauses, steepling his hands in front of his chest. "Perhaps we could get a few extra potions thrown in? And perhaps we could get 30GP each to help outfit ourselves? We will definitely be bringing you business"

Drivan gestures at the rest of his party members, "These people will put together quite a show..." He throws his hand up, some sparkling dust flying into the air before exploding into a shower of red and yellow fireworks.

[sblock=Diplomacy Check]Didn't want to post this one... [9,6] = (15) Roll Lookup[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]I have burst so we should be good for some nice area damage![/sblock]

KenHood

First Post
OOC: Tsk! Tsk! Greedy little first-level characters looking gift horses in the mouth! Shame on you! :)

"I really can't provide more than 100 gp, though I would if I could. When you think about it, that's 20 GP for each of you. Which is two-thirds of thirty, so it's almost the same thing. And all I'm asking is that you wear clothing that advertises my business and maybe drop my name when interviewed during the battle. When you look at that way, I'm paying you to do what you're already going to do. Isn't that a good deal?"

[sblock=Insight DC 12]When he says he can't offer more than 100 GP, he means it. He seems a bit unsettled that you'd ask for more, and also seems a bit desperate that you'll walk away. He really, really wants you to do this.[/sblock]

"You two gentlemen strikes me as wizards. I'd be willing to sell you writing supplies at a reduced cost."

Last edited:

Reklaw

First Post
Drivan looks to his party members questioningly, "I would be satisfied with this offer, especially with the offer of discounted writing supplies. I'll leave the decision up to my party members."

Atanatotatos

First Post
Hadarai, who is cleaning a fishbone of meat with some discipline, sighs at the prospect of fighting with a gadget-shop advertisement, but is clearly trying to see the thing from a practical perspective.
My dear mr Marco, sir, he says, in a plain tone, while dropping the fishbone in his plate and joining his hands in fron of himself, elbows on the table,and fixes his sky-blue eyes in the halfling's: ...your offer is certainly generous, but I used to be an Imperial commander. He pauses for a moment, as to let the man ponder the weight of such statement. So before I consider wearing an outfit with...commercials. he continues, pronouncing the latter word in a lowered voice, I'll have to see that magical sword you were talking about. In my hands. he exchanges glances with the warriors of the group, concluding in a diplomatic tone: Or those of my companions.

ooc:hoping it's not necessary, diplomacy: 12

mohalloran

First Post
"What must do for man? Wear stuff? Also, Vaunea kill rats in sleep. Show Vaunea rats." Vaunea says to Marco. "And sword no good. Need giant magic axe. Got one?" Vaunea asks, knowing that the answer is probably no. She realizes that very few people are going to have LARGE weapons, since such small creatures can't use them anyway.

"One more thing. Vaunea get writing stuff. People teach her?"

fireinthedust

Explorer
Emral rubs his chin, smiling. What's this about clearing out rats? I hear adventure potential here! For a magical staff? I'm thinking were-rats, right? Or giant abbyssal thunder rats? Ooooh, or those brain-rats that live in the sewers and control people's minds so they can buy expensive cheeses and plot the downfall of civilization?! Or are we talking, like, *a* rat that's gross and they want us to explode it?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads