• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

TV show Star Trek: Starfleet Academy Starts Production in 2024

Hex08

Hero
I know Discovery gets mixed reactions, and I understand why, but there were significant changes by the end of the fourth season in the situation that, if you're going by the situation at the end of season three, you're not really reacting to the situation as-is.
Yeah, you are right. That's why, since you are a current viewer, I am willing to take your word for it. Unfortunately, I'm just not willing to invest the time in a series that I thought had 3 really bad seasons in the hope the final two may be better.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Yeah, you are right. That's why, since you are a current viewer, I am willing to take your word for it. Unfortunately, I'm just not willing to invest the time in a series that I thought had 3 really bad seasons in the hope the final two may be better.

There's no particular reason you should. I just wanted to set the record straight about the 32nd Century situation.

Ryujin

Legend
I know Discovery gets mixed reactions, and I understand why, but there were significant changes by the end of the fourth season in the situation that, if you're going by the situation at the end of season three, you're not really reacting to the situation as-is.
Unfortunately, for me, that puts Discovery squarely in the same ballpark as Enterprise is for many other people. When you finally turn things around in season 4 you've already lost many people, who would otherwise have been watching if you got it right from the beginning.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Unfortunately, for me, that puts Discovery squarely in the same ballpark as Enterprise is for many other people. When you finally turn things around in season 4 you've already lost many people, who would otherwise have been watching if you got it right from the beginning.

Again, sure; I'm not expecting people who dislike the show to revisit it just because some things changed in the 4th season.

The issue was entirely in assessing how the Academy was going to look based on out of date information.

Again, sure; I'm not expecting people who dislike the show to revisit it just because some things changed in the 4th season.

The issue was entirely in assessing how the Academy was going to look based on out of date information.

I think the premise for season 5 of Discovery and Starfleet Academy is the start of a Golden Age after a very nasty Dark Age, its the beautiful spring after a hard winter, the metaphor Saru uses is the Renaissance, which came only after the Dark Ages, its about rebuilding hope after everything turned to naughty word, something very relatable. I honestly feel it was the best scene and best writing in the entire series of discovery and for me, it sets the tone of Starfleet Academy. Its about the exciting possiblities of rebuilding and new ideas, a new beginning, but drawing upon looking at the greatness of the past.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

I can't speak for others, but I don't know if the situation is really the issue. The situation is itself a result of the approach to Trek that's been used for Discovery. If the Starfleet Academy uses the same approach, it will get similarly mixed response.

Kaodi

Hero
I have not watched Picard Season 3 yet though I have all the episodes so far sitting on the PVR. But idk - I am not sure whether I am more hesitant or less hesitant to have another show set in the 32nd Century. I like watching Discovery but when you look back, "Cataclysm every season," does not seem like a tone conducive to a setting that is supposed to feel "lived in" . Sometimes I feel like the potential of Star Trek is kinda tapped out - and then you get SNW and Lower Decks, though both shows make the setting wider rather than deeper in the sense of spreading the timeline out.

I really love watching Strange New Worlds with my Dad. It makes me feel more connected to him and my Grandpa, the latter of whom died before I was born. The importing thing though is that he and my Dad watched TOS when it came out, and SNW is firmly in the TOS mold.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I can't speak for others, but I don't know if the situation is really the issue. The situation is itself a result of the approach to Trek that's been used for Discovery. If the Starfleet Academy uses the same approach, it will get similarly mixed response.

The original post I responded to, by Morrus, very much referenced the situation.

Let's see if they go the "one student is a ridiculous prodigy" route.
Well, they kind of have too. A super smart STEM representation is a must for a "school show" in 2023.

Maybe a "new" Vulcan/Romulan "lost cause" guy with a sword.

Seems obvious they will have an Orion too, assuming they can do that green body pain cheep

Humm...set in 32 rd century, the Academy would be on a ship, right? So they could fly the USS Academy around the galaxy while in school.

And if they advance the timeline, we could have DISCO kids: Mike Burnham, Jr. , Sarutwo, Tina Tilly, Cincinnati Booker and so on.

Remove ads