TV show Star Trek: Starfleet Academy Starts Production in 2024

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I can understand it a little from a dramatic point of view - a good story has a series of rising and falling tension. Having a situation for characters seem okay, then plummet, with a climb back to the top is a pretty common successful narrative.

I think tying the character's narrative to the societal narrative is a mistake, though, basically because society rise form a depth takes a whole lot of time. It takes decades to centuries to build back from a societal low point. The show doesn't have that kind of time.

I can also see what they were trying from a Roddenberry perspective. Trek wasn't Roddenberry's only story idea ever. Post TOS, he had a fascination for the post-apocalyptic as well, basically in the form of "hero of the past comes forward to help rebuild the future". He attempted a couple of iterations, but it only really got a shot after his passing, in "Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda". Discovery is clearly making use of those same concepts.

The problem is to pull it of in Trek, you have to crush the Federation, which we're already invested in, and that leaves a bad taste in our mouths.
I remember liking Andromeda, but yeah the problem is exactly as you say.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I remember liking Andromeda, but yeah the problem is exactly as you say.

Andromeda was good for its first two seasons. But there was a conflict between the series creator Robert Hewett Wolfe (who was working from Roddenberry's notes) and the studio and lead actor (Kevin Sorbo).

Basically, Sorbo wanted it to be the Adventures of Kevin Sorbo. The studio kind of agreed, because they felt Wolfe's complex continuing storylines were a barrier to entry. The studio and Sorbo aligned, but RHW didn't.

You can tell exactly when they ran out of Wolfe scripts. Distinct and sudden change in character of the show. And it wasn't great from that point on.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
I can understand it a little from a dramatic point of view - a good story has a series of rising and falling tension. Having a situation for characters seem okay, then plummet, with a climb back to the top is a pretty common successful narrative.

I think tying the character's narrative to the societal narrative is a mistake, though, basically because society rise form a depth takes a whole lot of time. It takes decades to centuries to build back from a societal low point. The show doesn't have that kind of time.

I can also see what they were trying from a Roddenberry perspective. Trek wasn't Roddenberry's only story idea ever. Post TOS, he had a fascination for the post-apocalyptic as well, basically in the form of "hero of the past comes forward to help rebuild the future". He attempted a couple of iterations, but it only really got a shot after his passing, in "Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda". Discovery is clearly making use of those same concepts.

The problem is to pull it of in Trek, you have to crush the Federation, which we're already invested in, and that leaves a bad taste in our mouths.
He tried shortly after Star Trek, with the TV pilot movie "Genesis II." The lead character was even named Dylan Hunt.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Andromeda was good for its first two seasons. But there was a conflict between the series creator Robert Hewett Wolfe (who was working from Roddenberry's notes) and the studio and the studio and lead actor (Kevin Sorbo).

Basically, Sorbo wanted it to be the Adventures of Kevin Sorbo. The studio kind of agreed, because they felt Wolfe's complex continuing storylines were a barrier to entry.

You can tell exactly when they ran out of Wolfe scripts. Distinct and sudden change in character of the show. And it wasn't great from that point on.
I’m glad I lost track of it, then.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist

Andromeda had one pretty good season.

Then it got Sorbo'd.

eta- I see that you wrote pretty much the same thing I did, but I didn't see it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Oof. That does sound pretty bad. Just let the good thing be good. Just let the future get better over time.

Ugh I am so tired of that stupid misconception.

The Renaissance as understood in comments like this didn’t exist, because the “dark ages” weren’t a time of social, cultural, scientific, and artistic, darkness, they’re a time with few surviving records. That’s it.

That scene is even worse than when Elon Musk (go isn’t even actually an engineer, and frankly seems to be fairly stupid) was mentioned alongside actual great scientists.

The contribution of the “dark ages” to the renaissance is that there are clear through lines from the early Middle Ages to the renaissance. You can look at art history and development after development and see how artists got to the point they did by the time people started inventing dumb stories about how bad the previous age was. Same thing with science, philosophy, music, etc

Education rose during the Middle Ages! Europes first hospitals, universities, attempts to spread literacy, all happened over the centuries we call the Middle Ages.

Hell the unwashed peasants who have never left their village trope isn’t even true, as even tiny thorps in Europe had public bath houses, and the roads were full of travelers of all kinds, including tourists and adventurers, people escaping bad landlords to live in a city and find work (or turning to banditry), pilgrims, and of course tradesfolk.

No Renaissance without the terrible Dark Ages…good lord.
The "Rennisance": basically 16th century Baby Boomers with cool hats.

Remove ads