TV show Star Trek: Starfleet Academy Starts Production in 2024

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Man, that was a good season, though, and came out at juuuuust the right time when I was a teen to be hyper focused on it...

That and Earth: Final Conflict.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but the first season of EFC was, if not amazing, really good, and made me think that this was going to be excellent show going forward.

But my goodness, did every ... single ... episode after that first season suck. Not a little. A LOT.

Ryujin

Legend

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but the first season of EFC was, if not amazing, really good, and made me think that this was going to be excellent show going forward.

But my goodness, did every ... single ... episode after that first season suck. Not a little. A LOT.
I recently tried a rewatch. I think that I made it through season 3, before it came to a grinding halt.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Yet I watched every darned one hoping against all evidence...same as Enterprise!

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I recently tried a rewatch. I think that I made it through season 3, before it came to a grinding halt.

I watched it when it aired at the time, and when there wasn't really information about the series.

So I remember how much I enjoyed the first season, and had no idea (well, beyond the OBVIOUS) why the second season was so bad. But I kept checking in thinking it would course-correct or something.

No. Nonononononononononono. Ugh. I think I finally gave up completely around S3 as well, but I remember checking for a few episodes after that here and there and it was just SOOOOO BAD.

Ryujin

Legend
I watched it when it aired at the time, and when there wasn't really information about the series.

So I remember how much I enjoyed the first season, and had no idea (well, beyond the OBVIOUS) why the second season was so bad. But I kept checking in thinking it would course-correct or something.

No. Nonononononononononono. Ugh. I think I finally gave up completely around S3 as well, but I remember checking for a few episodes after that here and there and it was just SOOOOO BAD.
First time through it felt almost like an obligation. Roddenberry? Made in locations I recognize? Sign me up!

Then...

The Academy is exactly what it sounds like; a school, on a planet. Typically that planet is Earth.
Do you watch DISCO? The 32 RD century Federation and Starfleet is not located on a planet.
There is no need to have a messianic uber-student, when you can just have a group of students with their own unique skills and talents. Or, perhaps, not a lot unique at all, given that they've all had to pass stringent entry standards just to be there at all. The prodigy trope is over utilized.
They will do it, they simply can not resist doing it. The same way they will not even consider a cool 'tough jock sports star' "Kirk-like" character. A lot of school type characters don't work for Hollywood in 2023. You won't see a Starfleet Mean Girl, or Clueless Cheerleader either.

Ohhhh......would it not be AWESOME for those Voyager Salamaders to come back....now as humanoids in the 32 century! We could have like Tommy Janeway lizard man!

Ryujin

Legend
Do you watch DISCO? The 32 RD century Federation and Starfleet is not located on a planet.
No, I don't. Made that pretty clear, basically since season 1 dropped ;) Could not bring myself to go back, despite trying several times.
They will do it, they simply can not resist doing it. The same way they will not even consider a cool 'tough jock sports star' "Kirk-like" character. A lot of school type characters don't work for Hollywood in 2023. You won't see a Starfleet Mean Girl, or Clueless Cheerleader either.

Ohhhh......would it not be AWESOME for those Voyager Salamaders to come back....now as humanoids in the 32 century! We could have like Tommy Janeway lizard man!
Hollywood does actually do those tropiest of tropes, over and over again. Have you watched "The Ark"? Pretty much any CW show?

Thomas Shey

Legend
Why must all conversation stick to what you responded to? Why can't new thoughts get added to a discussion?

They can. But I'm not required to change the subject because you want to. I made a point about a specific thing; you wanted me to broaden my statement past my intended purpose. I didn't feel obliged. That's all there is to it.

Edit: Actually, never mind. It isn't worth the effort.

There's this thing called deleting a message if you decide its a mistake. I've done it several times.

Remove ads