• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

TV show Star Trek: Starfleet Academy Starts Production in 2024

Ryujin

Legend
I'd second all of this though I was personally less impressed with Prodigy, I feel like it made a lot of unnecessary errors on various levels (and not because it's a child-oriented show). But Strange New Worlds is as good as 1990s Trek, and so is most of S3 of Picard, which is shocking because S1 and S2 definitely were not.

Orville's S1 is rough, and it has a lot of crude Gen-X-y humour and references that are positively Boomer-ish (how is MacFarlane only 49 with these kind of references lol?), but it improves to an incredible degree and as of S3 it's basically teaching Star Trek lessons - S3 Orville, is, and I am amazed to say this - about as good as the best of TNG and close to the best of DS9. The humour and weirdly old references (especially musical ones! To be fair TNG and even DS9 kind of shared this but it was the late 1980s through 1990s so there was an excuse! There were referencing like 30+ years back, not like 60+ years back) never go away, but the decrease severely in how often they come up. A lot of this I think comes simply from Orville S3 having incredibly long episodes but a similar format to TNG - usually around 70 minutes, whereas TNG was, 44 minutes, which allows them to really focus on stories, give characters time to breathe, ideas time to be discussed. That and the fact that weirdly, The Orville is somehow more committed to the ideals of its Federation-equivalent than even Picard was in TNG.
I was sorry to see Halston Sage go, because I was really enjoying her character, but was definitely glad to see the end of the "jar of pickles" references. I'll likely start my 4th watch-through any day now.

I was sorry to see Halston Sage go, because I was really enjoying her character, but was definitely glad to see the end of the "jar of pickles" references. I'll likely start my 4th watch-through any day now.
Right? I am literally still mad about Halston Sage going, and the reasons around her going seem very sketchy (and not for her), but she appears in later seasons (sadly briefly) so clearly it wasn't that bad, whatever it was - but yeah the upside that was that Family Guy-ass reference going away!

Mallus

Legend
Oddly, setting it in the 32nd century makes me much more interested in an Academy show. The far-future Federation is still in the process of rebuilding. It’s an exciting time. Plus, you get Tilly, Vance, and Kovich whenever you need them.

Starfleet Academy in the 32nd century? I'd guess they are doing it so all the DISCO characters can star or guest star.

The whole idea of an Academy show, or any "school" show has always been a bit of bugbear. It sounds like a good idea and everyone gets excited....but then someone has to make the show. And that is always a huge problem.

Can they avoid making it a CW teen drama? Will we get to see Porsha worry who will take her to Space Prom? Like DISCO I'm sure they will have lots of diversity in the characters sexes. And that is great, but I wonder if they might finally dare to go "where no Star Trek has gone before" and show us some real human alien mixes.

The school setting does seem a bit boring for Star Trek....unless they go for a Disney stye "problem of the week" like we have seen in a ton of teen school shows. But then it will be a goofy silly show.

MarkB

Legend
Starfleet Academy in the 32nd century? I'd guess they are doing it so all the DISCO characters can star or guest star.

The whole idea of an Academy show, or any "school" show has always been a bit of bugbear. It sounds like a good idea and everyone gets excited....but then someone has to make the show. And that is always a huge problem.
It is? I could've sworn there have been hundreds of successful series in a school setting.
Can they avoid making it a CW teen drama? Will we get to see Porsha worry who will take her to Space Prom? Like DISCO I'm sure they will have lots of diversity in the characters sexes. And that is great, but I wonder if they might finally dare to go "where no Star Trek has gone before" and show us some real human alien mixes.
Ooh, controversial! Will we finally get to see a human/vulcan hybrid?
The school setting does seem a bit boring for Star Trek....unless they go for a Disney stye "problem of the week" like we have seen in a ton of teen school shows. But then it will be a goofy silly show.
You know it doesn't have to be just one thing or another, right?

I'm almost there with you. Discovery, in my opinion, is so awful (at least the first three seasons were, I gave up after that) that I have little desire to see anything related to it. That said, I will give it at least a few episodes to win me over but it's going to be a tough sell. On top of having no interest in 32nd century Trek the idea of a Starfleet Academy show, regardless of the era, has never held much appeal for me. However, if Tawny Newsome is involved I count that as a plus.

Strange New Worlds is actually great and honestly alot better then Discovery. I don't hate D8scovery, I like it for what it is, Star Trek's experimental phase. Its very flawed at that, but it dared to ask the question not what IS Star Trek, but rather what could Star Trek become. Its answers were failures more often then not that tainted other projects in public perception, but it does have it successes too, like their version of Captain Pike, which lead to Strange New Worlds,which is vastly more popular then SNWs. And folks focus on the likely possiblity of Tilly being in Starfleet Academy, but its also likely Saru will be the one to run it, or perhaps Saru and Admiral Vance who are the more wrll liked characters compared to the rest of Discovery's cast. This will likely be set up in the last season of Discovery.

Ryujin

Legend
Strange New Worlds is actually great and honestly alot better then Discovery. I don't hate D8scovery, I like it for what it is, Star Trek's experimental phase. Its very flawed at that, but it dared to ask the question not what IS Star Trek, but rather what could Star Trek become. Its answers were failures more often then not that tainted other projects in public perception, but it does have it successes too, like their version of Captain Pike, which lead to Strange New Worlds,which is vastly more popular then SNWs. And folks focus on the likely possiblity of Tilly being in Starfleet Academy, but its also likely Saru will be the one to run it, or perhaps Saru and Admiral Vance who are the more wrll liked characters compared to the rest of Discovery's cast. This will likely be set up in the last season of Discovery.
Strange New Worlds is precisely the reason why I am willing to give Starfleet Academy a shot, instead of immediately writing it off as the bastard stepchild of Discovery. It doesn't sound like the sort of thing that would catch my interest, on the wrapper, but I've been wrong before.

Strange New Worlds is actually great and honestly alot better then Discovery.
Quite an understatement imho!

SNW is, for my money, the best Trek since the 1990s.
Strange New Worlds is precisely the reason why I am willing to give Starfleet Academy a shot, instead of immediately writing it off as the bastard stepchild of Discovery. It doesn't sound like the sort of thing that would catch my interest, on the wrapper, but I've been wrong before.
You have a point...

I assumed Strange New Worlds would be mid at best. I assumed Orville would be bad (and to be fair, the first season was a mixed bag). Both were excellent. So I guess I should give Academy a shot even if it is 32nd century. I just REALLY LOATHE the aesthetic - the hideous new uniforms (it's particularly sad because S1-3 Disco had good uniforms) and ultra-bland-looking sets are just horrid low-taste-level stuff (which is weird for Trek, which usually at least has style). Maybe Academy can do an entirely different look though? Like, if they're reopening, maybe they can have it be decrepit and old-looking, and need to be rebuilt, and rebuild in a more interesting style? And please god, have totally, totally different uniforms - the current Disco ones make everyone look like they're in a dystopia and all about four feet wide.

This look didn't last long but was absolutely the greatest fashion crime in Trek history:

1680454742057.png

What is this, Spirit Halloween offbrand cosplay of Fallout? Bonus points for looking weirdly fascist, something Starfleet should avoid at all costs.

And the new ones are just an inversion of it:

1680454829209.png

Less hideous due to colour choices but still utterly shapeless fashion crimes. Whoever did the costumes needs to be arrested by the Fashion Police and tried by the Fashion Court. Presumably Tim Gunn will be the judge, passing what we must hope is a sentence of Fashion Execution, i.e. being forced to clothes shop solely at Old Navy for the rest of their life or something.

It is? I could've sworn there have been hundreds of successful series in a school setting.
Not in general, but for an action adventure type show like Star Trek. Like you could have:

Star Trek CW- So Bob has to study for the big test, Cindy goes out to party, Zon tries to ask Be'eth out...again and Zoom puts a dent in his dads shuttle.

Star Trek Sy Fy- also the 'Disney" type. Where a typical story is "Zon transported a monster in to the school by accident and only the young stars can trap it and send it home as All Adults Are Useless."

Star Trek Head of the Class- well this is the hard show: young characters that are not demi gods and have flaws and lack experience.

Ooh, controversial! Will we finally get to see a human/vulcan hybrid?
I'm talking about where Star Trek avoids: human with a non-looking nearly exactly like a human OR the big human with a non human. Something like The Orville did with the Doctor and the Blob crewmember.

You know it doesn't have to be just one thing or another, right?
Word.

Remove ads