Tyranny of Dragons

dream66_

First Post
If you're happy for me to do this then I'm happy to go along with it; just don't go blaming me for the inevitable torrent of natural 1's I roll on your behalf :). Always glad to receive advice, this is the first time I've ran a play by post.

Feel free to roll anything like that from me too, anything to speed up the game.

I always recommend for play by post purposes not being slavish to initiative. But I do appreciate when DM's post init order every time they post.

Li Shenron

Legend
If you're happy for me to do this then I'm happy to go along with it; just don't go blaming me for the inevitable torrent of natural 1's I roll on your behalf :). Always glad to receive advice, this is the first time I've ran a play by post.

Same here! Remember you can also use passive perception (or extend passive checks to other skills/abilities), but be sure you remember what are the implications of that. :)

industrygothica

Adventurer
I hadn't realized it, but it is correct that there is no "Delay" action. The correct term now is "Ready," which essentially does exactly what JDT said, and was my intent.

Here's the quote, if anyone's interested:
Player's Basic Rules v 0.2 said:
Ready
Sometimes you want to get the jump on a foe or wait for a particular circumstance before you act. To do so, you can take the Ready action on your turn so that you can act later in the round using our reaction.

First, you decide what perceivable circumstance will trigger your reaction. Then, you choose the action you will take in response to that trigger, or you choose to move up to your speed n response to it. Examples include “If the cultist steps on the trapdoor, I’ll pull the lever that opens it,” and “If the goblin steps next to me, I move away.”

When the trigger occurs, you can either take your reaction right after the trigger finishes or ignore the trigger. Remember that you can take only one reaction per round.

When you ready a spell, you cast it as normal but hold its energy, which you release with your reaction when the trigger occurs. To be readied, a spell must have a casting time of 1 action, and holding onto the spell’s magic requires concentration (explained in chapter 10). If your concentration is broken, the spell dissipates without taking effect. For example, if you are concentrating on the web spell and ready magic missile, your web spell ends, and if you take damage before you release magic missile with your reaction, your concentration might be broken.

So I guess basically what I'm saying is that if the weasel isn't friendly when Kerri is done with it, it's dinner. :)

Brother Dave

First Post
Yeah, the only caveat is that if the trigger condition occurs, it uses your reaction instead of your action (your action was used to ready your reaction, essentially).

Also, just for the record, I'm going to laugh like a maniac if the weasel has more hit points than Rolen, Kerri and Erevan, and the three of us go to sleep while the weasel stays awake. LOL

*edit* - never mind. Just realized that since Rolen and Erevan are both elves, we'd have been immune to the sleep anyway.

Last edited:

epicbob

Explorer
Oh snap...it really is an area effect. I'll have to read the fine print next time.

Although, I don't think everyone was within 20 feet of the weasel, though.

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
Oops, I didn't spot this either. But we'll go with epicbob's idea, and say that the area of effect only catches the weasel and Rolen - who as an Elf, is immune. Kerri was close as well but we'll assume Robert targets the spell to not include her.

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
Quick question to everyone - are my posts getting too long and overly detailed for a play by post? I've mostly been waiting to hear actions from everyone then making a long post, often with different things happening to different players all at once.

Is this a good way to do things, or should I perhaps be joining in (perhaps after each player, or every couple of players) with more posts, but shorter ones?

Feedback for a first time play by post DM is welcomed!

Remove ads