Undead and Sneak Attack

Belbarid

First Post
I have a feeling I know the answer, but does anyone know of a way, preferably a Feat, that allows Sneak Attack damage against undead.

Vraister

First Post
I think there is a swift spell called Grave Strike or so in one of the complete books. Probably Divine or Adventure.

Vraister

moritheil

First Post
Belbarid said:
I have a feeling I know the answer, but does anyone know of a way, preferably a Feat, that allows Sneak Attack damage against undead.

There's a spell that lets you do it for the duration, I think.

Edit: I see that I'm not alone in thinking that. I don't have those books with me, unfortunately.

Azul

First Post
Belbarid said:

The divine strike ability acquired at 2nd level of the Skull Clan Hunter prestige class (Miniatures Handbook) allows your Sneak Attack damage to hurt undead. The entire prestige class is geared to produce an anti-undead rogue-type PC.

Silveras

First Post
Grave Strike is, indeed, a Spell in Complete Adventurer (1st level Cleric, Paladin). It is only good for your attacks, and for Sneak Attacks specifically, so it requires a specialized caster: someone who can cast the spell AND make sneak attacks.

Libris Mortis has Spark of Life, which makes an undead creature vulnerable to several things that they normally are not, including Sneak Attack (as well as extra damage from Critical Hits).

silvermane

Explorer
The answer to your question is called Razing Strike, and it's not found in LM, but in CAdv. However, this is not a true sneak attack, rather a bonus to damage equal to your sneak attack value + 1d6 per spell level sacrificed (as the feat uses a spell slot).

werk

First Post
silvermane said:
The answer to your question is called Razing Strike, and it's not found in LM, but in CAdv. However, this is not a true sneak attack, rather a bonus to damage equal to your sneak attack value + 1d6 per spell level sacrificed (as the feat uses a spell slot.
Razing Strike
[General]
(CAdv p112)
As a Swift Action, you may sacrifice one of your allotment of spells. You gain that spell’s level as an Insight bonus on your attack rolls for one round, and a number of extra d6 of damage equal to that spell’s level plus your Sneak Attack dice bonus against one type of creatures. If the spell was Divine, the bonus is against Undead; if Arcane, then the bonus applies to Constructs.
Note: This feat does not enable you to deliver Critical Hits or Sneak Attacks to Constructs or Undead.

So, like you said, not a sneak attack. It's hard to hit a lifeless shell powered by negative energy in a critical organ or 'soft-spot'.

Belbarid

First Post
werk said:
So, like you said, not a sneak attack. It's hard to hit a lifeless shell powered by negative energy in a critical organ or 'soft-spot'.

Yeah- kinda the problem... :S

Mostly I was wondering because there seems to be a feat or something that acts as an exception to just about every rule in 3.5.

The idea I had in mind (and maybe I should have said this earlier) is a high-level Ninja/Soulknife who is an undead hunter. Now, before lots of people point out that just about every special feat, PrC, class feature, or spell that helps kill undead assumes that you're a Divine character of some sort, I already know that. I wanted to make something a little more unusual than that as the Divine Undead Hunter has been done to death. No pun intended.

Ninja gives awesome stealth abilities, as well as the ability to hit incorporeal undead. SoulKnife insures that I have a weapon at hand when I need it, and between the SK's ability to charge the weapon, and the Psionic Weapon/Greater Psionic Weapon feats, I can pile on up to 4d8 damage that *will* affect undead. Add to that the benefits of a Vow of Poverty, and I think you have a fairly effective Undead Hunter.

For feats, I'm also taking Combat Expertise, Combat Intuition, Quick Reconnoiter, and Deft Strike, although if anyone has any suggestions for Feats, I'm open to those. Something alsong the lines of "Lots of extra damage against Evil/Undead". I remember seeing one in The Book of Exaulted Deeds, but that has a Charisma Prereq that I don't meet, and I don't feel like drasticly changing my attributes for an extra +1 damage.

I like the character idea, and I like the way the two classes mesh, and I'm curious to see how this works against Undead. I was just wondering if there was a convienient way to use the 5d6 Sudden Strike damage against Undead.

Taloras

First Post
Quintessential Rogue has a prestige class, Crusading Footpad that gets sneak attack damage against undead. And some nice other things....requires at least being able to cast 1st level divine spells.....

Remove ads