Undead and Sneak Attack

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Belbarid said:
For feats, I'm also taking Combat Expertise, Combat Intuition, Quick Reconnoiter, and Deft Strike, although if anyone has any suggestions for Feats, I'm open to those. Something alsong the lines of "Lots of extra damage against Evil/Undead". I remember seeing one in The Book of Exaulted Deeds, but that has a Charisma Prereq that I don't meet, and I don't feel like drasticly changing my attributes for an extra +1 damage.

I mentioned this on another thread, but again, Precise Strike, from Dragon # 310. Requires Dex 13 and sneak attack. You may, on any attack that would qualify as a sneak attack (emphasis obviously mine), take away any number of sneak attack dice and exchange them for a +2/die circumstance bonus to attack.

So, if you're flanking an undead, who's immune to the extra damage from the sneak attack, you can switch out the dice for attack bonus. It's the same sort of thing as having Burst weapons affect undead...they don't take the extra damage from the critical hit, but they do take the extra burst damage generated by the crit.

Part two of this combo is to then put both hands on your bastard sword-sized mindblade and dump BAB into Power Attack to put more hurt on the undead. This has the added advantage of working on other creature types immune to the extra damage from critical hits and sneak attacks, like plants, oozes, elementals, constructs, and (N)PCs in Heavy Fortification Armor.

Brad

Last edited:

Belbarid

First Post
cignus_pfaccari said:
I mentioned this on another thread, but again, Precise Strike, from Dragon # 310. Requires Dex 13 and sneak attack. You may, on any attack that would qualify as a sneak attack (emphasis obviously mine), take away any number of sneak attack dice and exchange them for a +2/die circumstance bonus to attack.

So, if you're flanking an undead, who's immune to the extra damage from the sneak attack, you can switch out the dice for attack bonus. It's the same sort of thing as having Burst weapons affect undead...they don't take the extra damage from the critical hit, but they do take the extra burst damage generated by the crit.

Part two of this combo is to then put both hands on your bastard sword-sized mindblade and dump BAB into Power Attack to put more hurt on the undead. This has the added advantage of working on other creature types immune to the extra damage from critical hits and sneak attacks, like plants, oozes, elementals, constructs, and (N)PCs in Heavy Fortification Armor.

Brad

*LOVE* it. Exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for.

I can probably dig up that copy of Dragon. Thanks.

just__al

First Post
Silveras said:
Grave Strike is, indeed, a Spell in Complete Adventurer (1st level Cleric, Paladin). It is only good for your attacks, and for Sneak Attacks specifically, so it requires a specialized caster: someone who can cast the spell AND make sneak attacks.

Libris Mortis has Spark of Life, which makes an undead creature vulnerable to several things that they normally are not, including Sneak Attack (as well as extra damage from Critical Hits).

I think if ever one of my players became a hunter of the dead I'd add Grave Strike to the spell list. It's not enitrely outside the realm of possibility given my penchant for undead (not like that you sickos)

bigdamnnerd

Explorer
Silveras said:
Grave Strike is, indeed, a Spell in Complete Adventurer (1st level Cleric, Paladin). It is only good for your attacks, and for Sneak Attacks specifically, so it requires a specialized caster: someone who can cast the spell AND make sneak attacks.

The cleric in my Shackled City game is fond of using Imbue With Spell Ability to give the Rogue in the game Grave Strike. The only question I had was whether or not activated an imbued swift spell is still a swift action--I ruled that it was, since a round of sneak attacks really wasn't that big of a deal.

Remove ads