• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Undead Apocalypse (Interest Check)

tglassy

Adventurer
Fitz: Mystic
River: Ranger
Me: Blade'lock

So nothing super tanky, sword and board should be ok. I will try get my character stats up later this week, but for now..

[SBLOCK=ORC]
You are frightened of my appearance? Most are, they see only the orc half and seldom the human half. Yes I am a viscous fighter, but so are many humans, and like any humans I tried to settle in peace and raise children - I had earned my peace and my land. Twelve of us settled with our mates to raise crops and children, and we did for a time. Then the rumours started of a tide of undead sweeping through all the lands. We paid it no heed, there is always an undead horde, a plague, barbarians, tyrants but then it came to us, an uncountable mass of tortured men, dwarvs, elves, and more.

Fight did not even cross our mind, we gathered our children and fled with the clothes on our back and ran, but they followed, untiring. We ran until our children cried, then we carried them as we ran, but the untiring horde followed. We ran until our women wailed, we harangued them and we ran, but still they followed un-slowing. We ran until our men collapsed. To my shame I was the first, as we headed towards the mountains, hoping the close, treacherous terrain might slow them. As we neared a pass I could go no farther, the world darkened around me as I watched my people continue their flight until it all ended with a crash.

I awoke, not much later – it could not have been – to see a horned creature standing over me. “Do we have deal?” he asked offering me an axe. I vaguely recalled him offering me a great weapon and the vitality to wield it in exchange for something – I don’t remember. “What good is an axe?” I remember thinking, but I could hear the moaning of the undead, closer and closer. I was shamed and there was nothing else I could do to wash away that shame but die in battle.

So I nodded, yes, I did not care what he cost was, I would be dead soon. Touching the axe invigorated me. Not far from where I had fallen the pas narrowed, and I retreated there – ready – willing; here I would fight until I died, I would not slow them, but that did not matter. There I fought. I fought, the great axe cleaving bodies as though they were wheat. I fought, every slain enemy seeming to make me stronger. I fought, costing them a dozen dead for every step they took.

I fought until a great wave of heat blasted the damned things from in front of me and a great rock slide closed the pass. How long for I do not know, but I looked behind me to see a dozen men-at-arms staring at me in awe, I have never seen men look at an orc that way before or since. Their leader stepped forth. The pass lead to a valley, where thousands of refugees sought safety from the horde of undead, but as more refugees and more came, more and more undead pursued them. They could no longer hold the passes, their soldier weary, their wizards exhausted. They were closing the passes and fleeing. This group had been sent to hold this pass, but the undead never came, held back by me they said, but what pursued me could not be stopped, barely slowed.

I followed them to the camps, now emptying, to see streams of living heading away. My family, I hope were among them, I cannot join them, for I am shamed, but I pray to any god that will listen that they are safe – somewhere – but I cannot know. So now I fight, I fight to take back what should be ours and I will fight until I am dead.[/SBLOCK]

I wrote that on the flight home last night, but it doesn't quite fit with your world background, so I'll have to adjust it slightly, but something very similar.

I like it. I love the backstory.

A note on Warlocks. I love Warlocks. I will be using the Patron. You will be hearing from him. It will have an effect on your game. It isn't just fluff. It will be important. I will be weaving it into the story. Be prepared for that. And if you actually pick a Fiend patron, oh my. Such fun!

Same with a Paladin's vows. I will be holding you to it. Strictly. You won't fall from one minor infraction, but your vows will be important. It's not just fluff.

tglassy

Adventurer
Entirely up to your character. I almost said up to you, but it should really be up to your character. Ancients would make sense in this setting. As would Vengeance. Who's crown would he have his oath to? There is no King in Waterdeep.

River Song

Explorer
honestly I think the Ancients is a good fit, some good spells as you go through the levels and good features (though level 7 is a long way away).

River Song

Explorer
Dougal has been upgraded to Level 6.

Not sure what the scouting potential is like so I took the Observant Feat at Level 4. Bringing up his PP to 19.

TallIan

Explorer
I like it. I love the backstory.

A note on Warlocks. I love Warlocks. I will be using the Patron. You will be hearing from him. It will have an effect on your game. It isn't just fluff. It will be important. I will be weaving it into the story. Be prepared for that. And if you actually pick a Fiend patron, oh my. Such fun!

... .

Thanks, I just need to adjust the timeline to suit, so nothing major. I'm cool with the patron being involved, it's nice to have your character creation choices affect the game.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Remove ads