• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

UPDATE: Politics/Religion no longer permitted again!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It isn't like anyone's going to be hung from the yardarm for missing the discussion, folks. Chill out, already.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Ah well, back to the discussions about how 5e sucks because there's no warlord and the ranger is horrible, how 4e sucks because it's too WoW like, how 3e sucks because it's for no one but min/maxers, and how AD&D sucks because THAC0. :)

Janx

Hero
To be fair, political discussion worked much better here than other places I've seen on the internet, meaning that there was some actual discussion going on rather than just people CAPS screaming at each other.

Still, I'm glad you're ending it. For me, it was a real turn-off from the site. I've been participating here since before 3E's release and one of the big reasons I'm still here is that there are people here I chat with that I rather like. Well, with the politics experiment, I've seen that some of them are actually fairly dreadful people with really dreadful views on the world. With the political threads frequently on the top of the "all threads" view I've found myself less and less interested in coming here even to check out the RPG conversations.

That's true, and unfortunate.

I reckon it might even color how we view other topics we're discussing. So if PersonX hates TopicY that I like, is that why he's disagreeing with me on TopicZ. As well as now I really don't care for PersonX at all.

maybe just sticking to the topics (and related topics) that ENWorld is best.

And I am sorry that I have whatever bad views and ideas that I should not have. I will try to correct that.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That's true, and unfortunate.

I reckon it might even color how we view other topics we're discussing. So if PersonX hates TopicY that I like, is that why he's disagreeing with me on TopicZ. As well as now I really don't care for PersonX at all.

Interestingly, I've noted an opposite effect. There is at least one person in the political discussions with whom I strongly disagreed... who has repeatedly been giving me XP in gaming discussions while we were disagreeing on politics. I found that a bit refreshing.

Janx

Hero
Interestingly, I've noted an opposite effect. There is at least one person in the political discussions with whom I strongly disagreed... who has repeatedly been giving me XP in gaming discussions while we were disagreeing on politics. I found that a bit refreshing.

I think that's great. I'd rather see people be able to discuss other topics and not carry grudges.

A

amerigoV

This is all I got to say about this

tumblr_nqam516iVN1u3o6fmo1_500.jpg

Kaodi

Hero
Regardless of the fact that I have posted in such discussions, I, for one, welcome our old politics and religion censoring overlords.

MechaPilot

Explorer
Ah well, back to the discussions about how 5e sucks because there's no warlord and the ranger is horrible, how 4e sucks because it's too WoW like, how 3e sucks because it's for no one but min/maxers, and how AD&D sucks because THAC0. :)

I know you were just joking, but I do have to say that I didn't like THAC0. I thought it made teaching the combat part of the game to new players more difficult than needs be because of how counter-intuitive it was. That said, I wouldn't say that THAC0 made 2e suck. Once players adapted to THAC0, which took some players longer than others, it became a virtual non-issue.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I think that's great. I'd rather see people be able to discuss other topics and not carry grudges.

I never carry grudges about politics. Why would you? You find common ground where you find common ground, and you argue or don't talk where you don't. Pretty simple.

Remove ads