UPDATE: Politics/Religion no longer permitted again!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Why is pleasant more important than engaging, interesting, thought provoking, etc?

Well, it seems that, on the whole for the community, it wasn't actually all that engaging, interesting, or thought provoking. The politics and religion threads generated a large number of posts from a very small number of posters; generally the same small list of users in all the relevant threads. The community, overall, didn't engage with these topics.

Then, if these threads produced even a small negative influence from them being unpleasant, the presence of these topics can very quickly become an overall negative influence on the boards. The politics and religion discussions, honestly, weren't adding enough value to the boards to justify their presence.

Ultimately, the mission of these boards is *gaming* discussion. Other topics are nice if they at least are not a detriment to that mission, but should (and as you see, will) be jettisoned if they significantly detract from the core experience for more users.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Nevertheless, we expect you to abide by it, please.

Dude, MOrrus, don't even respond if all you're going to say amounts to, "Shut up, I'm the authority figure here. Do as I say."

The pre-emptive "don't break the rules" statement is not only implicit in the existence of the rule, but has been re-iterated with the announcement itself.

"Follow the rules whether you like them or not" isn't a relevant response to a statement of disagreement with the rules. It's also a very disrespectful one, especially from someone who so strongly dislikes being spoken to disrespectfully.

Well, it seems that, on the whole for the community, it wasn't actually all that engaging, interesting, or thought provoking. The politics and religion threads generated a large number of posts from a very small number of posters; generally the same small list of users in all the relevant threads. The community, overall, didn't engage with these topics.

Then, if these threads produced even a small negative influence from them being unpleasant, the presence of these topics can very quickly become an overall negative influence on the boards. The politics and religion discussions, honestly, weren't adding enough value to the boards to justify their presence.

Ultimately, the mission of these boards is *gaming* discussion. Other topics are nice if they at least are not a detriment to that mission, but should (and as you see, will) be jettisoned if they significantly detract from the core experience for more users.

Thanks. I really appreciate the well thought out response. I still disagree with the decision. Did I miss some indication you and the other mods/Morrus could see that the discussions were leaking into threads where they didn't belong, or dragging in people who didn't want to be a part of them? Were you guys having to spend too much time moderating those threads?
If not, I guess it just doesn't make any sense to me, and seems like a weak cop out, to just ban those discussion outright. If a few posters were having those discussions, but weren't dragging others in, taking the discussions to threads where they don't belong, or otherwise breaking any rules, how was it different from threads about obscure gaming things that only a few people on the forums care about or want to talk about? I mean, the thread titles warned away anyone who didn't want to participate, right?

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I mean, the thread titles warned away anyone who didn't want to participate, right?

I must say this is one of the things I find puzzling. Why can't people avoid a thread on subjects they do not like? It is as puzzling as people feeling "forced" to buy all D&D books WotC publishes. Why must they buy them all?

I'm also puzzled at people having their feelings hurt because someone has a different opinion, so they want that person to be censored.

Anyway, the boat as sailed. I agree with you, but you're just gonna antagonize Morrus and the mods.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Dude, MOrrus, don't even respond if all you're going to say amounts to, "Shut up, I'm the authority figure here. Do as I say."

The pre-emptive "don't break the rules" statement is not only implicit in the existence of the rule, but has been re-iterated with the announcement itself.

"Follow the rules whether you like them or not" isn't a relevant response to a statement of disagreement with the rules. It's also a very disrespectful one, especially from someone who so strongly dislikes being spoken to disrespectfully.

Just to step in for a minute here as someone that usually also doesn't appreciate Morrus' communication style, but: he owes you exactly zero justification for his choices on how to run his board.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Just to step in for a minute here as someone that usually also doesn't appreciate Morrus' communication style, but: he owes you exactly zero justification for his choices on how to run his board.

And... Ovinomancer and I agree on something! Now, if that isn't an indication, I don't know what is :)

Morrus provides a place for people to chat about gaming, free of charge. For a while, he decided to see if it would also work as a place to discuss other topics, free of charge. He figures that didn't work out, so we are back to how it was before. Still, free of charge. And, he still offers you Circvs Maximvs, a place where you can still continue to discuss these topics. And, you know what? That's free of charge, too.

Seems to me, doctorbadwolf, that you're still ahead of the game.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I must say this is one of the things I find puzzling. Why can't people avoid a thread on subjects they do not like? It is as puzzling as people feeling "forced" to buy all D&D books WotC publishes. Why must they buy them all?

I'm also puzzled at people having their feelings hurt because someone has a different opinion, so they want that person to be censored.

Anyway, the boat as sailed. I agree with you, but you're just gonna antagonize Morrus and the mods.

Well, Morrus and I already butt heads, but yeah I could be less antagonistic about it. That's fair.

Fundamental philosophical differences aside (because I think you're completely wrong about that), I never asked for any. I just called out what I think is a crappy response to a criticism.

Not owing someone anything doesn't preclude getting criticism, nor does it make it a good thing when you react to criticism in a less than impressive manner.

And... Ovinomancer and I agree on something! Now, if that isn't an indication, I don't know what is :)

Morrus provides a place for people to chat about gaming, free of charge. For a while, he decided to see if it would also work as a place to discuss other topics, free of charge. He figures that didn't work out, so we are back to how it was before. Still, free of charge. And, he still offers you Circvs Maximvs, a place where you can still continue to discuss these topics. And, you know what? That's free of charge, too.

Seems to me, doctorbadwolf, that you're still ahead of the game.

I get where you're coming from, I really do.

However, a service being free of charge doesn't magically invalidate criticism of that service, or how it's run, or a given decision related to same. It being free is mostly irrelevant, here. It doesn't make any decision he makes automatically the right choice.

Remove ads